Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
What source did you get the 15 out of 70,000 from?
It's 16 now, Michaelpost just said he has the problem

I love it when someone says it's not a problem because they don't see it.
I just got a recall on my Dodge Ram for the catalytic system, never knew there was even a problem but someone did due to people taking their vehicles into the dealership for it. That one didn't even show up on the RAM forums until after the recall notice came out.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Licensing fees, exclusive designs only sold at dealers, and the physical sale of merch at said dealers. HUGE money in licensing.
I think Ocezam said 'branding' when he meant 'licensing', and it would NOT surprise me at all to learn HD makes 3 times more on licensing that they do on bike sales.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:31 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
The 15 out of 70,000 comes from here I believe.....the 15 is the number of people actually reporting the issue here, and the 70,000 a guesstimate at production numbers so far.

I figured it was derived from scientific data!

When you think about the fraction of M8 riders that are in any of the categories below;

participate and post in this forum

check their oil levels at all between services, therefore have no idea

or if they do or don't check - haven't had their M8's out for a good long high speed run yet.

The number of owners afflicted by this issue is probably a bit higher than 15, wouldn't you guess?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
I think Ocezam said 'branding' when he meant 'licensing', and it would NOT surprise me at all to learn HD makes 3 times more on licensing that they do on bike sales.
They don't. No where near. Check out the "Revenue" section of this link directly from HD.
HD makes close to about 15% on parts and accessories and only about 6% on general merchandise (tshirts, coffee cups, stickers).

They make the majority on bikes themselves.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...source=company

Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
They don't. No where near. Check out the "Revenue" section of this link directly from HD.
HD makes close to about 15% on parts and accessories and only about 6% on general merchandise (tshirts, coffee cups, stickers).

Of course they do. However, a rant threatening an attack on the bulk of HD's business is far more compelling than a similar rant against a small fraction of it.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,129 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
It's 16 now, Michaelpost just said he has the problem

I love it when someone says it's not a problem because they don't see it.
I just got a recall on my Dodge Ram for the catalytic system, never knew there was even a problem but someone did due to people taking their vehicles into the dealership for it. That one didn't even show up on the RAM forums until after the recall notice came out.
Originally Posted by lp

Your link shows what HD themselves sold in merch as 63K second quarter 2017 but your confusing selling retail soft/hard goods in their dealerships , with selling the right to make and sell the soft/hard goods with the bar and shield logo, or HD name on it.When HD sells Zippo the license to put the HD logo or name on a lighter and sell it through distributors , ultimately to retail, they get BIG money for it.Same with tee's, jackets, wallets, hats, mugs, backpacks, friggin thongs. The number for that in 2013 ( thats the latest I could quickly find) was 59 million.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/five-hd-myths

Last edited by stixvrad; 08-17-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lp

You're right. That surprises me! All the more reason they need to sort out these issues with the new bikes.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoGast
My bike is running great 15 people out of 70,000 owners of M8's have an issue and the world stops spinning on its axis.

Of the 15, no one has had a catastrophic transmission failure.

Some people cannot help but have disaster fantasies. It is human nature.

I love my M8 it is absolutely amazing. Best bike I have ever owned. And I was very skeptical at first...i wanted a leftover 2016 SGS boy am I glad I did not buy a 2016.

M8 is f'ing great
I have absolutely no dog in this fight, as I don't even own an M8 (yet). If I were in the shoes of the "15", I'd also be beyond pissed. Dropping $25k+ on what is in effect a "pleasure vehicle", I damned well expect it to operate well with good maintenance and operational procedures on my part.

Personally, I've been strongly considering jumping to an '18. I'm watching this thread and others like it, however, and will NOT be changing from my otherwise flawlessly operating '16 until The Motor Company steps up and fixes issues like this.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=Bowhunter61;16538235]It's 16 now, Michaelpost just said he has the problem :icon

That remains to be seen. If 9 oz. was missing from the trans but the primary wasn't over full it could be a crappy service job.
The dye test will prove what it is and I'll post the results here when I know.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Your link shows what HD themselves sold in merch as 63K second quarter 2017 but your confusing selling retail soft/hard goods in their dealerships , with selling the right to make and sell the soft/hard goods with the bar and shield logo, or HD name on it.When HD sells Zippo the license to put the HD logo or name on a lighter and sell it through distributors , ultimately to retail, they get BIG money for it.Same with tee's, jackets, wallets, hats, mugs, backpacks, friggin thongs. The number for that in 2013 ( thats the latest I could quickly find) was 59 million.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/five-hd-myths
Although they take in a ton of money in every one of those avenues (millions/billions) the link I posted shows exactly what they are reporting as actual revenue for every iron they have in the fire - to stock holders.
To be honest, I'm not certain where "licensed goods" are represented in there, but I'm sure it's represented.
As a report to stock holders it appears they bring in more on bikes than anything - per their own figures anyway.

So... not really confused but agree it's complex.

Last edited by lp; 08-17-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?