Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:24 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlesh0001
I 100% agree with you. I just traded in a 2017 Indian Chieftain for this. I gave HD another chance after screwing up with my last one (2014 Ultra Limited.) I'm sorry but if HD does not do something about this ....I promise I will get them with the Lemon Law here in Pa. You found one that will NOT play this game!!! I am so pissed at this!! However I will give them some leeway to make this right.......Trying to calm down now!
I may be wrong but I don't think our wonderful state has a Lemon Law for motorcycles......

The following users liked this post:
dlesh0001 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by dlesh0001
I'm sorry but if HD does not do something about this ....I promise I will get them with the Lemon Law here in Pa. You found one that will NOT play this game!!! I am so pissed at this!!
atta' boy!

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-2-1496243875.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
dlesh0001 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Every one of us so called 15 having this problem could let the trans.run dry and melt down but we keep a eye on it and keep it full.The way i see it we are doing harley a big favor by doing this i'm sure we could burn the bearings out no problem.Hope for a fix soon and all the people that don't have a problem better pray it don't start after a fix.I would say there are a lot that don't know they have the transfer they take them to the dealer for everything and if the trans.were dry do you think they would tell you.

Last edited by Steve Helton; 08-17-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:35 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
So my gearbox got changed, now they are waiting for the spacer and crank seal that according to HD need to be changed too. When talking to my service technician, he said he doesn't believe it's either of both. He believes the root cause is in the transmission itself. He was talking about some "cover" not existing anymore compared to the TC design. I don't know what he meant, but maybe it makes sense to others here.
This post skipped right by..... If there is a design change in the tranny this might be the reason they want to keep quiet. I think this post deserves another look. Question is, whats changed from the TC tranny? Id say not much. I found out a buddy of mine had transfer on an 09 street glide. Its happened before and its happening again. He had an independent shop fix his, hasent happened since.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

After reading this thread I checked my trans fluid level. 9 oz low! 1800 miles after 5000 mile service. Dealer took it in and added fluorescent dye to the transmission. Instructed me to bring it back after 200 miles. Interestingly, the primary was not over filled. According to them. The tech who did my last service sucked ***, so I don't rule out that he under filled it either. At least the service department is taking the proper steps. This is "per Harley" so they can't say they've never heard of it.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 AM
dlesh0001
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2002
I may be wrong but I don't think our wonderful state has a Lemon Law for motorcycles......

You are right but check out this link:

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...lemon_law.html

So any state that does not have a lemon law by itself the buyer can use the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act! Go get'em boys!!

Last edited by dlesh0001; 08-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 AM
dlesh0001
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
atta' boy!

I only wish I was as BAD A$$ as that guy!! OH HAIL EASTWOOD!! lol

Last edited by dlesh0001; 08-17-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,129 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
As far as I'm concerned this IS the subject.

Maybe someone on this thread, or another thread, will come up with a "fix" (Steve Cole et al). There have been many technical suggestions. I keep waiting for a solution. Like you I want to "keep informed". No solutions seem to be on the horizon. Harley needs to fix this. It will be the vocal consumers that may push HD into a corner and resolve this. I find it hard to believe that with all of the resources of the factory they will have trouble diagnosing the cause.

HD makes twice as much money on branding as they do on bikes. (Actually the last I saw it's about three times as much on branding as bikes) As long as this problem remains an obscure internet topic, they will do nothing. Unless we all communicate our dissatisfaction and threaten their "brand superiority" and their "lifestyle" proclamations, HD will remain silent. Too many people will keep buying the shirts. And to Harley the shirts are VERY important. It doesn't matter how reliable the bikes are.

Heck, I can't even enjoy riding mine right now. Way too much money spent for a bike that I have to baby every time I ride it. I get angry every time I throw a leg over it.

I'm pi$$ed.

I'm not looking forward to taking mine in for warranty work. I've been waiting a few weeks to hopefully let this problem get solved. I'm not the type of guy to play games with the service department. Once I start receiving the run around, I tend to go ballistic. If I could undo purchasing this bike I would.
Man, it sucks you've been made to feel that way.But I totally understand and were it me, would feel the same. That goes for a bicycle, toaster, or friggin lawnmower. And most certainly for a 20-30, even 40K bike. HD not saying sh*t about it isn't helping.If the same percentage of a car brand was having issues with consuming/leaking/transferring any drive train fluid, as HD is seeing here, my guess is you'd more than likely hear about it. I remember the Suzuki TL1000 having severe head shake issues and it was well covered in bike mag's, so I dont get why this is getting nothing. Maybe because its not a safety issue yet where the TL was causing major get offs.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
How does HD make the money on "branding"? People paying money to make T shirts and tennis shoes?
Licensing fees, exclusive designs only sold at dealers, and the physical sale of merch at said dealers. HUGE money in licensing.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LeoGast
My bike is running great 15 people out of 70,000 owners of M8's have an issue and the world stops spinning on its axis.

Of the 15, no one has had a catastrophic transmission failure.

Some people cannot help but have disaster fantasies. It is human nature.

I love my M8 it is absolutely amazing. Best bike I have ever owned. And I was very skeptical at first...i wanted a leftover 2016 SGS boy am I glad I did not buy a 2016.

M8 is f'ing great
What source did you get the 15 out of 70,000 from?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?