Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Back from Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Sturgis. 6200 miles total.
Sounds like a great ride, now you need to update your map!!

Ahh forget that, I just noticed what it spelled

Last edited by Bowhunter61; 08-12-2017 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lp (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Back from Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Sturgis. 6200 miles total. Checked the first few days and everything looked good. Checked it again on the way home, 10 days later, nothing on the dip stick. Took half a quart to register...

Most miles were at 79 to 90 MPH, so not even over 3500 RPM most of the time. Guess I'm taking it in so they will at least document it.
Have them document how much they drain out of the primary to support your half quart add.

lp (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
every time you take your bike in and they have you drop it off and write up a,work order it counts as an attempt to fix. I take it you sre cosidering lemon lawing it?
Thinkin' bout it......... Still gotta look into it.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I was talking to one of my friends wife on Thursday, we were talking about my new bike. I told her there have been issues with the new motor but I have been lucky so far. When I saw her husband today, he asked what problems guys were having. I told him about the fluid migration from tranny to primary. He told me that's exactly what happened to him. He had checked the transmission fluid level, nothing on the dipstick. He checked for oil on the floor, nothing. He got his bike fixed at an independent mechanic, seal had gone bad. He owns a 2009 street glide, hasn't had a problem since......

Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I was talking to one of my friends wife on Thursday, we were talking about my new bike. I told her there have been issues with the new motor but I have been lucky so far. When I saw her husband today, he asked what problems guys were having. I told him about the fluid migration from tranny to primary. He told me that's exactly what happened to him. He had checked the transmission fluid level, nothing on the dipstick. He checked for oil on the floor, nothing. He got his bike fixed at an independent mechanic, seal had gone bad. He owns a 2009 street glide, hasn't had a problem since......
Which seal?

Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Good News!!

Good news guys! I spoke to a local H-D salesman, and he assured me they had never seen this issue, or had even heard about it. He took me over to meet the Sales Manager who informed me that there was no such issue, and if there were, Harley-Davidson would immediately issue a Service Bulletin to fix it. They suggested it was merely forum hysteria by two or three people, and was not something experienced by a significant number of owners. Hopefully y'all are as relieved to hear this as I was!

strat10 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dDavid
Good news guys! I spoke to a local H-D salesman, and he assured me they had never seen this issue, or had even heard about it. He took me over to meet the Sales Manager who informed me that there was no such issue, and if there were, Harley-Davidson would immediately issue a Service Bulletin to fix it. They suggested it was merely forum hysteria by two or three people, and was not something experienced by a significant number of owners. Hopefully y'all are as relieved to hear this as I was!
LMFAO!!!!! Do NOT ever step foot back in the dealership man!!!

Thanks for the evening chuckle!!

Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 AM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Well..

Maybe it will take a few lemon law suites to free them from their denial!!!

I just changed my tranny and primary fluid today and am happy to say no migration.

29 oz out of the tranny and 30 from the primary. I haven't had any extended high speed highway runs yet mostly 60 - 75 mph commuting to work and only 2000 on the bike.

The primary fluid was very dark though, never had that on any of my twin cams? Hoping its the new clutch.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
That is not too surprising. The sales people don't know anymore than the girls that work in clothing do. The shop is run like another business and they don't seem to talk to sales. Neither of them likes to talk about that fact that their product is having mechanical problems, so they usually claim no knowledge by saying "Well, lawdy, lawdy, lawdy, that is the first I have ever heard of that".

Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by torchmaster
The primary fluid was very dark though, never had that on any of my twin cams? Hoping its the new clutch.
Mine was Charcoal Gray too at the 10K.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?