Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
Before posting it, maybe he should apply for a patent, if and when he found an actual fix. That would stop any greedy SOB's, including moco, from trying to rip it off. If HD is saying they have no idea what the cause is, then it's almost guaranteed that at least a certain percentage of the 2018's, due out in a couple of weeks, will have the same issues. Another posters suggestion about a copyright attorney should seriously be considered. Let the moco 'pay to play' for a change.
I agree but will add I don't think HD cares about patents, I know of 2 lawsuits they are in right now for patent infringement. They absolutely love to take other peoples design. I have no doubt that they are working on the problem, but I also have no doubt they are working just as hard monitoring these forums hoping someone publishes a solution.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Peter Goodes
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve Cole, over 100 pages and 70000 views on this topic, on this forum alone is surely enough to catch the eye of the MoCo. I live in one of the most isolated cities on the planet, and my dealers are waiting for a tech bulletin from Harley. These guys have No idea about the problem, let alone how to solve it.
I wish I had as much influence as some of you folk. My bike cost a lot of money and I have a right to have these issues solved as do you good folk in the USA.
Steve, do you have an opinion on Darren's (sheffer) idea. Have you guys had a Chat?
Collaboration = a solution.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,031 Likes on 4,071 Posts

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
Before posting it, maybe he should apply for a patent, if and when he found an actual fix. That would stop any greedy SOB's, including moco, from trying to rip it off. If HD is saying they have no idea what the cause is, then it's almost guaranteed that at least a certain percentage of the 2018's, due out in a couple of weeks, will have the same issues. Another posters suggestion about a copyright attorney should seriously be considered. Let the moco 'pay to play' for a change.

This is complete and utter bullpoop.. Not worth the time.. Look at what it takes to get a patent..

Old 08-11-2017, 10:09 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
This is complete and utter bullpoop.. Not worth the time.. Look at what it takes to get a patent..
Personally, I have no idea. Just a thought. Do you Have a better idea, besides posting for free a fix that will have taken a lot of time and effort to develop? Just curious..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by dlesh0001
Got a 2017 RGU that I just did my 1000 mile oil change. I did check it at 600 miles and it was ok. Went on a small ride @ 40 miles and most of it was highway speeds at 70mph. That was at 875 miles on bike. Change the oil yesterday and Trans was low (not on dip stick) and as soon as I opened the derby cover it came running out. I'm pissed!!! I just traded in a 2017 Indian Chieftain for this! (The Indian just did not fit me right) Thought I would give HD one more chance. What does ***** me off the most is they knew they had this problem and still dont care enough to fix it. It was doing it back in the 2016 models...so I heard. Wish I did more research before I came back to HD. End of rant! Take it easy on me I'm just not to happy right now after spending this much money on this thing.

P.S. manufactured date is: 6/17 so the date has nothing to do with it.

I'm noticing a pattern here as well. Manufacturing date doesn't seem to matter. I know there are quite a few people that aren't experiencing it either. I wonder why?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

So, with all the extra oil oozing out of the derby cover is anyone having clutch engagement issues? While I think it's an issue and I'm more than positive HD is working on a solution, once a bulletin get's issued the bikes will get the fix whatever it is.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 PM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

The best thing to do for now is if you have this issue or even think you do file a complaint here.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Also a complaint with the BBB wouldn't hurt either.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:50 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
So, with all the extra oil oozing out of the derby cover is anyone having clutch engagement issues? While I think it's an issue and I'm more than positive HD is working on a solution, once a bulletin get's issued the bikes will get the fix whatever it is.
You can't adjust the hydraulic clutch.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,277 Likes on 4,445 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I know there are quite a few people that aren't experiencing it either. I wonder why?
The scope of this problem is pretty hard to determine... many assumptions are made, pro & con...

It would logical to assume that there are a certain number of people (we'll never know how many) who have the problem, but don't know they have the problem....

They either ride lower RPM and the oil transfer is minimal, so it's never noticed; they never check their trans oil between services & during service oils are just dumped, so it's not noticed; they check their trans oil but since they have their services done at a dealer, just blame the dealer for not filling the trans properly, bike gets serviced and the cycle repeats. Then there are the many, many HD bikes that get an annual service based on time, not on miles, they'll never notice. These are just a few of scenarios where someone could have oil transfer, but they and/or their dealers are totally oblivious to the issue.......

There are certainly several posters on two forums who are aware of the issue, check for it, and do not have it.... that's encouraging. we know not everyone is affected.....

This could be a problem with say 80%+ of M8s, but only 5% are being noticed and reported...... OR...... 90%+ may be OK and we just happen to be aware of all the problem bikes.... most likely somewhere in the middle, or one of the extremes, or........????

I'm sure this thought is not lost on the MoCo, as they try to balance fixing a serious issue and not wanting to have to fix almost every M8 sold....... I'm sure this has several people squirming and the less they say about it, the better it is for them...

Last edited by hattitude; 08-11-2017 at 10:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
103Eagle (08-11-2017), FM500 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
The scope of this problem is pretty hard to determine... many assumptions are made, pro & con...

It would logical to assume that there are a certain number of people (we'll never know how many) who have the problem, but don't know they have the problem....

They either ride lower RPM and the oil transfer is minimal, so it's never noticed; they never check their trans oil between services & during service oils are just dumped, so it's not noticed; they check their trans oil but since they have their services done at a dealer, just blame the dealer for not filling the trans properly, bike gets serviced and the cycle repeats. Then there are the many, many HD bikes that get an annual service based on time, not on miles, they'll never notice. These are just a few of scenarios where someone could have oil transfer, but they and/or their dealers are totally oblivious to the issue.......

There are certainly several posters on two forums who are aware of the issue, check for it, and do not have it.... that's encouraging. But for all we know, they could be the minority of M8s out there..... This could be a problem with say 80%+ of M8s, but only 5% are being noticed and reported......

I'm sure this thought is not lost on the MoCo, as they try to balance fixing a serious issue and not wanting to fix almost every M8 sold....... I'm sure this has several people squirming and the less they say about it, the better it is for them...
I'm at 2K now on a twin-cooled version. Not using motor oil and so far no tranny migration. I'm checking regularly. I rode 200 miles today and will check when temp is ambient.
Your scenario is rational and logical, but could also be wrong.
Just saying.
:-)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?