Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but sitting on the jiffy stand, my trans oil level has always been right in the middle. I see people on this forum that add an ounce once it goes a bit below full. Isn't the middle where you want the level to be?

I check it with the did stick snug against the gasket.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Cole hinted that he tried to add drains between the outer tranny cover where the clutch slave goes.. I would assume that the next mod was to increase the clearance.. The way I see it, oil is likely getting pushed through the trap door mainshaft bearing into a region there is only a gasket thickness of clearance (looks to be about 0.060 inch) for the oil to escape. The simple fix which Cole tried was to cut drain grooves..

If the slave cylinder supports it, the simple fix would be to use 2 tranny cover gaskets. That would double the clearance between the 2 machined surfaces..

I'm not really worried about this issue even tho my bike shows some transfer. Guys blowing up stage 3 and 4s is the more serious issue since my bike will get similar after market mods once the warranty runs out..
And this is just why I have not discussed what I am doing. People start making up things that have never been said by myself (see above). I have discussed plenty of what I see as the problem itself, but nothing about what I am doing at this time. It's doesn't do any good to starting telling people something, to only find out later it does no good. If and when I know I have this solved and tested on several known problem bikes I will say something, but not before.

Also the things I am doing will most likely void the warranty too, as HD will find a way to say that the modifications caused the issue to start with!

Last edited by Steve Cole; 08-10-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
14GuineaPig (08-10-2017), BezerkoBob (08-11-2017), rigidthumper (08-14-2017), SomeOld Biker (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Seems unlikely

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Atchley

Also the things I am doing will most likely void the warranty too, as HD will find a way to say that the modifications caused the issue to start with!
That they could realistically claim that, since there are lots of bikes out there without your and Durwood's mod(s) having the exact same issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:45 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Yup... .. Might want to check all the fluids!" Sure as ****, sucker was bone dry. Sucked out the extra with my baster setup, and put new fluid in the transmission (~8 oz.).
I guess your referring to trans as the sucker that was dry,but adding 8 ozs isn't a dry trans.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
I guess your referring to trans as the sucker that was dry,but adding 8 ozs isn't a dry trans.
Referring to the trans dipstick as being dry.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Referring to the trans dipstick as being dry.
Thanks Brandon for clearing that up

Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Whew! Took me two days but I finally read through this whole thread. I do not own an M8 but my best friend does and I do all his service work. So I pay attention in this M8 forum as well as my own Rushmore forum. I have not seen this particular issue on my friend's bike. But will check tranny oil level tonight after work.

Sounds like for now the best solution is to monitor it regularly and to transfer fluid back from primary to tranny when necessary. It sucks but with out a well defined cause and solution, what else can you do.

I applaud Steve Cole for his relentless pursuit of a repair to this oil migration issue. Please sir, continue your work, once your repairs are verified (by you) to be the resolution to the issue, please contact a copyright lawyer and protect yourself.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:06 AM
dlesh0001
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a 2017 RGU that I just did my 1000 mile oil change. I did check it at 600 miles and it was ok. Went on a small ride @ 40 miles and most of it was highway speeds at 70mph. That was at 875 miles on bike. Change the oil yesterday and Trans was low (not on dip stick) and as soon as I opened the derby cover it came running out. I'm pissed!!! I just traded in a 2017 Indian Chieftain for this! (The Indian just did not fit me right) Thought I would give HD one more chance. What does ***** me off the most is they knew they had this problem and still dont care enough to fix it. It was doing it back in the 2016 models...so I heard. Wish I did more research before I came back to HD. End of rant! Take it easy on me I'm just not to happy right now after spending this much money on this thing.

P.S. manufactured date is: 6/17 so the date has nothing to do with it.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
As fir them calling Steve, IMO the time and effort he's spent on this is to much to just give it to them. If they want it they should pay for it. I seriously doubt that will happen, they'll wait to see if he posts his fix then take it.
Before posting it, maybe he should apply for a patent, if and when he found an actual fix. That would stop any greedy SOB's, including moco, from trying to rip it off. If HD is saying they have no idea what the cause is, then it's almost guaranteed that at least a certain percentage of the 2018's, due out in a couple of weeks, will have the same issues. Another posters suggestion about a copyright attorney should seriously be considered. Let the moco 'pay to play' for a change.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dlesh0001
Got a 2017 RGU that I just did my 1000 mile oil change. I did check it at 600 miles and it was ok. Went on a small ride @ 40 miles and most of it was highway speeds at 70mph. That was at 875 miles on bike. Change the oil yesterday and Trans was low (not on dip stick) and as soon as I opened the derby cover it came running out. I'm pissed!!! I just traded in a 2017 Indian Chieftain for this! (The Indian just did not fit me right) Thought I would give HD one more chance. What does ***** me off the most is they knew they had this problem and still dont care enough to fix it. It was doing it back in the 2016 models...so I heard. Wish I did more research before I came back to HD. End of rant! Take it easy on me I'm just not to happy right now after spending this much money on this thing.

P.S. manufactured date is: 6/17 so the date has nothing to do with it.
I agree with you this was my first new bike traded in a 2010 rg.that was a good bike had 92,000 miles.And i have spent a lot on this thing Harley should get on this problem.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?