Sponsored by:

Linked brakes with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,681 Likes on 11,547 Posts
Default Linked brakes with ABS

Who has them, and what do you think of them?

Are they linked, with just the "front"? And do the rears still work independently from the brake pedal? I can think of times when just the rear is wanted, like extremely slow maneuvers.

Has anyone had to do a hard brake maneuver in a turn, and how'd it go?

Thanks...

Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM
96slowbra
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

they are linked only above 30 or 35mph. So at slower speeds you can use them independently. I have no complaints so far.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,320 Likes on 5,480 Posts

Well look at it like this at higher speed cell phone Betty pulls out. if don't madder front brake rear brake grab all you can get they will work great. At low speeds same system you always had.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:18 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

No complaints here.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Like them just fine. I rarely use the rear and the front has good feel to me.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:03 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess it depends on your riding style. Most riders I've talked to like the linked ABS system, but I won't get it on my next bike (if it's still an option then).

ABS seems like a good idea since it normally stays out of the way unless you screw up. But the only time I felt it on my bike was when I pulled off the road to stop in a loose gravel turn-out. I was ready for a little slipping and sliding and for the tires to sink in a little. What I wasn't ready for was my brakes refusing to stop the wheels and nearly rolling me off the edge of the turn-out.

The linked brakes were one of the reasons I got rid of my '14 Limited. When I'd be heading into a turn and tap the rear brakes for a minor speed adjustment, the front end would dive because the linked system thought it would be better to hit the front brakes in case I wanted to stop and pick a penny up off the road. It made it too hard to trust that bike.

I'll skip it next time mostly because it's never come in handy for me, and in an emergency I don't like the thought of my bike second guessing me.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Linked Brakes

They will stop your bike a lot faster in a shorter distance that either regular or ABS. While some folks don't seem to like them, I think they're great. On curvy roads I brake before I get to the turn and if I don't I can still ease a little front or rear brake on.
If you have really screwed up and fly into a corner, way to fast, they could save your life.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

First time I've ever had them on a bike. I really like them and I have used them. In at least one incident, they probably kept me from going down when a lady turned left in front of me. My only option was to stand on the brakes, and the bike just stopped, all the time I felt very much in control (although, I don't think I was!).

Anyway, gets my nod.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,897 Likes on 3,575 Posts

Originally Posted by dpmerrill
I guess it depends on your riding style. Most riders I've talked to like the linked ABS system, but I won't get it on my next bike (if it's still an option then).

ABS seems like a good idea since it normally stays out of the way unless you screw up. But the only time I felt it on my bike was when I pulled off the road to stop in a loose gravel turn-out. I was ready for a little slipping and sliding and for the tires to sink in a little. What I wasn't ready for was my brakes refusing to stop the wheels and nearly rolling me off the edge of the turn-out.

The linked brakes were one of the reasons I got rid of my '14 Limited. When I'd be heading into a turn and tap the rear brakes for a minor speed adjustment, the front end would dive because the linked system thought it would be better to hit the front brakes in case I wanted to stop and pick a penny up off the road. It made it too hard to trust that bike.

I'll skip it next time mostly because it's never come in handy for me, and in an emergency I don't like the thought of my bike second guessing me.
I opted out of the ABS on my 17 RK.. Just didnt feel the need for the complexity or possible BS with the system down the road. Bike has amazing brakes for 800 pounds. That's Brembo for ya.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM
MysticPurple
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Like them just fine. Don't have to move my foot to the brake on the highway.(improves reaction time slightly)
Above 25 mph, either brake operates both. Out of habit when applying both I can feel
how the hand brake feels different based on how much you apply the rear.

Even if you do as is normal applying both, the ABS assists in minor adjustments/corrections and probably what
you are feeling in the hand brake I can feel a difference in the foot as well that changes as your pressure on the hand brake changes.

The only caution is........if only using say the hand brake and you keep it applied from say 35mph until you stop it stays linked.
If you use the hand brake only and release it below 25 mph and then re apply it, you only got the front brake and it will feel different and
could be a surprise if you happen to hit a little sand of slick spot.

If you change wheel size or tire size it will affect the ABS, Even changing brands of tires could affect it as other brands are not gonna be exactly the same size as stock.

Last edited by MysticPurple; 04-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Linked brakes with ABS