Sponsored by:

New Bars Are Uneven

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Bars Are Uneven

Been a few weeks since installing my Khrome Werks Bobber Apes, and after a lengthy ride this past weekend, I finally realized what's been causing the "something's off" feeling. My right arm has felt a little farther back and it give the impression everything isn't aligned correctly. I thought it was just the fact that's it's still a fairly new bike to me AND I just changed bars, seat, and blacked the front end out. All of which change the riding view and/or position. Discussed with a buddy, and we took a closer look at everything only to find the upper bends in the bars are not nearly symmetrical. In fact, the diameter of the bend in the right side is much flatter and almost looks crushed. That's creating slightly more pullback and wrist angle on that side.

In my haste to get the bars mounted, I didn't look them over too closely, so I guess it's my fault at this point. I figured for $170 I get what I get, but I never thought they'd be crooked. Fit and finish imperfections is about what I'd expect, if anything.

I did email the manufacturer, although I'm not expecting, nor asking for anything in return. Just simply complaining out loud and wishing I'd gone with a higher dollar/quality brand. Hoping I can get used to the bars as is, but thinking it'll always be on my mind.

Last edited by Gibler77; 04-17-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,046 Likes on 3,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
Been a few weeks since installing my Khrome Werks Bobber Apes, and after a lengthy ride this past weekend, I finally realized what's been causing the "something's off" feeling. My right arm has felt a little farther back and it give the impression everything isn't aligned correctly. I thought it was just the fact that's it's still a fairly new bike to me AND I just changed bars, seat, and blacked the front end out. All of which change the riding view and/or position. Discussed with a buddy, and we took a closer look at everything only to find the upper bends in the bars are not nearly symmetrical. In fact, the diameter of the bend in the right side is much flatter and almost looks crushed. That's creating slightly more pullback and wrist angle on that side.

In my haste to get the bars mounted, I didn't look them over too closely, so I guess it's my fault at this point. I figured for $170 I get what I get, but I never thought they'd be crooked. Fit and finish imperfections is about what I'd expect, if anything.

I did email the manufacturer, although I'm not expecting, nor asking for anything in return. Just simply complaining out loud and wishing I'd gone with a higher dollar/quality brand. Hoping I can get used to the bars as is, but thinking it'll always be on my mind.
Well, THAT sux... Not like its easy to swap them out either.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

I am about to atempt to straighten mine out later today. What happens a lot of times is when you tighten the clamps you tighten them un even side to side and front to back and that causes them to be crooked. While not impossible I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your bars.

The following users liked this post:
drcollie (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:21 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

What happens a lot of times is when you tighten the clamps you tighten them un even side to side and front to back and that causes them to be crooked. While not impossible I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your bars.

This. Very common when doing a bar swap, they will even appear to be non-symmetrical. Loosen it all up and re-do the tightening sequence.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, guys. Will loosen the clamp and start over. That'd be awesome if it's the case.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:30 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
Thanks, guys. Will loosen the clamp and start over. That'd be awesome if it's the case.
If I were a betting man I would bet a lot of money that this is the problem.