Sponsored by:

new owner- engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 AM
jdreynss
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new owner- engine noise

Hey everybody. Juat bought 2017 Street Glide last saturday. As of today I have 400 miles on her.

Let me start by saying that this is the first Harley that I have ever owned.

When I'm riding, I get a fair amount of valvetrain noise coming from the front of the bike..... and as the rpms increase....so does the noise.

Is this just how Harleys sound??..... Is the fairing just amolifying the noise??...Like I said this is my first Harley, so I dont know what to expect.

I love the bike...it rides like a dream. Just want to be sure that nothing is wrong.....What do you all think?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Some noise will be heard but it shouldn't be loud. I know it is new but have you checked the oil level? During break in a motor can consume some oil until everything seats then you are good to go. Does the noise get louder with the rpm?

Old 04-09-2017, 05:58 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

What other bikes have you spent time on that you're comparing your M8 to?

Old 04-09-2017, 06:06 PM
jdreynss
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have checked the oil... the level is correct. The noise is more noticeable as the rpms go up. I'm comparing to a 2004 Yamaha vstar 1100 and a 2008 vatar 1300

Old 04-09-2017, 06:06 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Its tough to diagnose noises across the internet - words just don't do sounds justice and sometimes even videos will hide the truth due to volume differences, recording equipment etc...

Having said that, some top end noise is normal for Harley vtwins - but it's impossible for me to say if what you're hearing is normal or not. Best bet would be to take it to an independent Harley mechanic and let them hear it. Second choice, find another '17 Street Glide out in the wild and see if the owner would be willing to compare. Third choice, take it to a Harley dealership that didn't sell it to you and ask them if its normal.

Good luck - it's probably nothing and that's a beautiful new bike! I own a twin to it :-)

Old 04-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Lifter noise is a Harley tradition.The M8's have less lifter noise than twin-cams.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:13 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,356 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
Some noise will be heard but it shouldn't be loud. I know it is new but have you checked the oil level? During break in a motor can consume some oil until everything seats then you are good to go. Does the noise get louder with the rpm?
was the noise you're hearing apparent from Day 1? If so go back to the dealer and take another new one for a 'test ride'..if the difference is obvious just leave yours there and tell them to inspect it..if this was a Twin Cam you were reporting about I'd say it sounds like you have a normal sounding Harley but my M8 is night and day different from my Rushmore in the overall engine/drivetrain noises, good luck, congrats and enjoy!

Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 PM
103luckygreenDude
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your bike is going to explode, I'll take it off your hands ! Seriously, these M8's sound like sewing machines compared to previous motors, listen to a Shovel head with open primary. Worry less, ride more....

Old 04-10-2017, 02:53 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,048 Likes on 3,620 Posts

My first HD too.. My RK has a slight tick that changes with engine rpm. I don't feel its anything I need to concern myself with. You have to listen for it..I almost think it could be the fuel injectors.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM
BigRedUltra
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2012 Twin Cam. Lot's of lifter noise. Bought the bike new and has always had the noise. Yes I do think that the faring amplifies the noise a little. I had an 07 Fatboy and all I heard was the exhaust.

Quick Reply: new owner- engine noise