Sponsored by:

Holy Handlebar Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:23 PM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Holy Handlebar Installation

Went to the dealer today to get a quote on installing new 13 inch bars that do not require a cable kit. They quoted me 8 hours @115/hour.

Looks like ill be doing the install my self. I bought some Road 6 Custom bars. The installation video says 1 hour, but Im thinking add an additional hour. I asked why so much, and they just said (internal wiring)

Old 04-02-2017, 04:39 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Internal wiring can be a b*tch. All depends on the make and style of the bars. It took me at least three to four hours to do the internal wiring for my Paul Yaffe Monkey Bars, including the wire extensions. Took a few more hours to completely replace the brake and clutch cables, then a couple hours to put everything back together and bleed the clutch and brake. Took me about ten to eleven hours to do my bars on my CVO SG. I think they always quote high not knowing the bars and then actually just charge you for how long it takes.

I'm glad I did mine myself, however, the internal wiring bit was a labor of love, lol. Good luck and post pics once they're installed.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:57 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

+1, internal wiring is HARD. You have to buy the extension wires and then take apart the switches and feed those micro-tab connectors into the switches. It's not like they are plug n' play or splices. I've done it, but its an exercise in patience and you will be at it every bit of 8 hours.

Make sure you like the bars!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I have done this project many times. The last one I did was 5 hours because the bars were screwed up, and I had to metal finish the throttle side down so the tube would turn. Otherwise, It usually takes me 2 hours, tops, including clutch and brake bleeding. Internal wiring is a snap, especially with the extensions. 8 hours labor for a bar install is coo coo pants.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:07 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I usually charge 3-4 hours for a job like that. I also usually change the riser bushings as well.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
WillSin865
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

My husband did my install with the Road 6 bars and it didn't take him more than an hour, just follow the instructions from the video, and take your time. You will love those bars!

Edit: My husband ran the wires in an hour, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by WillSin865; 04-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:26 PM
JustinC13A
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed 13 inch Road 6 bars on my 2016 and again on my 2017. It IS NOT difficult at all! They spell it out for you with their youtube video so it is super easy to follow.

When you do the internal wiring (also not hard at all) just tie a nut or something to a string and zip tie it to the end of the wires. Drop the nut through the bars and then pull the wires through. It truly is not difficult at all! You can knock it out in about 2 hours or so with no help.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:16 PM
rich24f73
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used stranded 18/8 thermostat wire inside my bars, bout the size of a reg ext cord, to replace one side that got skinned up

Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 AM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinC13A
I installed 13 inch Road 6 bars on my 2016 and again on my 2017. It IS NOT difficult at all! They spell it out for you with their youtube video so it is super easy to follow.

When you do the internal wiring (also not hard at all) just tie a nut or something to a string and zip tie it to the end of the wires. Drop the nut through the bars and then pull the wires through. It truly is not difficult at all! You can knock it out in about 2 hours or so with no help.
I am in the middle of a bar install on mine as we speak. The internal wiring on the throttle side is a effing bitch with bars that have meet hooks on them. I have tried everything in the world to get all those little connections through the bars and they get hung up. I finally through the damn things on the bench and said F this. I would almost bet a pay check that it would take more than two hours.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:08 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I installed 18" apes on my old metric a couple of years ago. it was a star motorcycle and its a flat out Harley clone down to the size of the parts. anyway, that was a pure dee biotch to do. they didn't make an extension harness for it so I had to break out the soldering gun, wire and heat shrink. after soldering 20 something wires, then I had to get it through the bars.

Lets just say I will never do that again...EVER. I want some jaffe bars, but I'm bucking up to have it done the next time.

oh and 1 hour to install them.... flat out bullshit. its going to be a LOT longer than 1 hour.

Quick Reply: Holy Handlebar Installation