Sponsored by:

1000 mile service at 300 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,381 Likes on 4,785 Posts

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
Wow! Thanks, everyone, for all the great feedback!

If i had, say 850-900 miles on the bike, it might be a closer call, but at 300 miles, it seems like the consensus is to wait, so wait, I shall!

Thanks, again, fellas!
like mentioned earlier, change the oil only, i never did until 1k ever but Steve Cole posted about metal chunks at 100 miles in his bike. Cheap and better safe than sorry

Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, back in the day, THERE WAS BREAK IN OIL! It was NON DETERGENT oil. The purpose was that any inperfections such as casting sand, metal shavings or any other debris WOULD NOT BE carried throughout the entire engine. They would be deposited at the bottom of the oil pan and removed in theory with an oil change. A DETERGENT oil is designed to pickup and carry the debris to be caught in the oil filter and also clean sludge, tarnish and any other bad stuff from your motor. Now keep in mind your oil is not filtered 100% of the time, by design some will bypass the filter. Paper filters flow limited volume. Some guys prefer the surgical stainless aftermarket filters due to 100% flow. Not to start a debate, just commenting.

My opinion is let the oil (whatever the MOCO puts in at assembly) do its job, let your motor, clutch, and trans break in then soon as your near 1k, get er done! The dealer is supposed to check all critical fasteners and belt tension along with clutch adjustment (not so much with the hydro clutch) at the 1k service. Its anyones guess if they really do all that but they sure charge for it!

As far as doin it fer yerself, I do my own, and I check all the things off in the owners manual under the 1k service. I also keep and photocopy all receipts with the date and mileage. You will not void your warranty if you do this and do things correctly!

Enjoy your New Scoot!

Eagle Out

Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Well, back in the day, THERE WAS BREAK IN OIL! It was NON DETERGENT oil. The purpose was that any inperfections such as casting sand, metal shavings or any other debris WOULD NOT BE carried throughout the entire engine. They would be deposited at the bottom of the oil pan and removed in theory with an oil change. A DETERGENT oil is designed to pickup and carry the debris to be caught in the oil filter and also clean sludge, tarnish and any other bad stuff from your motor. Now keep in mind your oil is not filtered 100% of the time, by design some will bypass the filter. Paper filters flow limited volume. Some guys prefer the surgical stainless aftermarket filters due to 100% flow. Not to start a debate, just commenting.

My opinion is let the oil (whatever the MOCO puts in at assembly) do its job, let your motor, clutch, and trans break in then soon as your near 1k, get er done! The dealer is supposed to check all critical fasteners and belt tension along with clutch adjustment (not so much with the hydro clutch) at the 1k service. Its anyones guess if they really do all that but they sure charge for it!

As far as doin it fer yerself, I do my own, and I check all the things off in the owners manual under the 1k service. I also keep and photocopy all receipts with the date and mileage. You will not void your warranty if you do this and do things correctly!

Enjoy your New Scoot!

Eagle Out
That day was so long ago few here ever really saw it. No problem doing your own services. I have never had a warranty issue with HD for any reason.
I have heard some dealers do not really do a 1000 service and charge a big chunk of cash for it. Not the case where I go.
If you have a new M8 and do the 1000 your self check if yours needs the ECM update for idle speed. The 1000 miles is when then update it normally.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

This undated article may give some insight into what is going on with your engine during "break in". http://www.rollingthundercycles.com/page/395028207

Old 03-30-2017, 03:58 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

FWIW I always do my own maintenance and I've talked to three different dealership service managers... keeping receipts or even logs or notes about what you do and when you do it is totally unnecessary.

I do keep a checklist of the work I'm doing but that's for me, a reminder of where I left off if I had to stop in the middle of a job. Its also an easy place for me to keep notes on what oil looked like when I drained it, how much I had to put in, what the torque values were, etc.

Just having a receipt in your hand with a certain date on it doesn't mean you put the oil in anywhere near that date (or at all). All three service managers told me that if somebody told them they kept up with oil changes and did the required service they believe them. If something wasn't done, they told me it was usually pretty damn obvious something wasn't done.

Of course, these were my local dealers... YMMV

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Al
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjjj629
FWIW I always do my own maintenance and I've talked to three different dealership service managers... keeping receipts or even logs or notes about what you do and when you do it is totally unnecessary.

I do keep a checklist of the work I'm doing but that's for me, a reminder of where I left off if I had to stop in the middle of a job. Its also an easy place for me to keep notes on what oil looked like when I drained it, how much I had to put in, what the torque values were, etc.

Just having a receipt in your hand with a certain date on it doesn't mean you put the oil in anywhere near that date (or at all). All three service managers told me that if somebody told them they kept up with oil changes and did the required service they believe them. If something wasn't done, they told me it was usually pretty damn obvious something wasn't done.

Of course, these were my local dealers... YMMV
I too do the majority of work on my machines. This is my fourth Harley. I have always bought new. So when I did my first oil change on my '17 Road Glide there was 1300 miles on the odo. The oil and filter showed no metal pieces. Generally speaking I think oil lasts longer than most people think. If its real black and doesn't feel right when I smash it between my fingers, I change it. This method has worked for me for over fifty years, to each his own.

-Cheers!