M8 Slipons, do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017 | 08:32 AM
ChiefT0186
|
Intermediate
Default M8 Slipons, do I need a tune?

Hi everyone,

I am sure there have been plenty to ask this question, but I keep finding mixed answers/opinions on the issue. Do I need to get my 17 SGS tuned if I put just a good set of V&H Slipons on the bike?? Any input and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. I plan to do more down the road, but for now it's just the slipons. Thank you in advance!

Old 03-18-2017 | 08:48 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

If it's just slip-ons and no performance AC, then no, you don't need a tune.

Old 03-18-2017 | 08:50 AM
ChiefT0186
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
If it's just slip-ons and no performance AC, then no, you don't need a tune.
Thank you sir. As stated I have heard mixed feelings on it.

Old 03-18-2017 | 09:36 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

That is absolutely correct, no need for a tune if you're just doing slip ons

Old 03-18-2017 | 11:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

for a little more re-affirnation from the aforementioned statements..I think HD has caused confusion with the Screaming Eagle mufflers by stating their Street Canon Performance mufflers require an ECM Calibration in their On-Line Store description. However, when you look in the More Info tab and open the Installation instructions nowhere will you see that ECM is Required. When you do the same for their High Flow Air Cleaner kits the instructions state ECM recalibration is Required. So they contradict themselves on the mufflers. I think the folks updating the website made a mistake and I trust the Installation documentation. Look at it this way, if you never looked at their website and just went to a dealership, bought the mufflers, went home and installed them according to the instructions you would be following the MOCO rules and be covered. Further supporting this is the fact they have never required ECM recalibration for their SE mufflers. And when you buy the Pro Street Tuner there is no specific calibration for only mufflers. You will not hurt the engine by adding mufflers only. However, it is possible when using aftermarket, or even the SE cans, it will introduce some decel popping as I have experienced this in the past, only to put the AC on and the Stage 1 calibration loaded to have the popping disappear. Good luck and enjoy the scoot!

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-18-2017 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FM500 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017 | 11:41 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

I just put V&H 4.5 raiders on my stock 2017 FLHXS, no problem at all. No decel pop, If you have a leak at the muffler clamp that you have just reused or replaced then you could get decel pop. I torqued to 40-44ft/lbs rode it and then checked the torque again. All good.
I was going to wait for the first service for the slipon install but after 100 miles of stock exhaust I decided that I could not wait.

Old 03-18-2017 | 01:08 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

You're good to go.

Old 03-18-2017 | 08:02 PM
ChiefT0186
|
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for the great input, MUCH appreciated. I know I came off as a complete new guy, though I am not. But when toying around with a new toy, it never hurts to ask and be thorough. Thanks again everyone and have a great weekend!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017 | 08:05 PM
103luckygreenDude
Cruiser

No...

Old 03-20-2017 | 02:33 PM
tabperformance
Former Sponsor
Default Tuner

Originally Posted by ChiefT0186
Thank you everyone for the great input, MUCH appreciated. I know I came off as a complete new guy, though I am not. But when toying around with a new toy, it never hurts to ask and be thorough. Thanks again everyone and have a great weekend!
Your information received I would tend to agree with. Something to note, the throttle off factory only opens to about 80% even if you open it up all the way. If you do purchase a tuner like Dynojet Powervision etc., these have the ability to fully open the throttle which allows you full access to the bikes performance. If you are happy with what you have and don't care too much, they are right it is not needed, but just food for thought on that topic.

Quick Reply: M8 Slipons, do I need a tune?