Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage IV kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Apples to oranges when you are dealing with a cvo.

Look at the the dyno sheets in the link I posted that compare a regular M8 stage iii with a regular M8 stage IV.

Sure, the stage IV does have more potential, but using HD parts in those two kits, the IV has more horsepower, the iii has more torque, and the IV has less torque below 3,000 rpm than stock according to the dyno sheets on Harley's own website.

An interesting comparison is a regular M8 with the stage iii with a stock cvo.
Agreed. My remarks only apply to comparisons of stock vs stage 3 vs stage 4 on a CVO. You can definitely feel the difference of a stage 4 vs stage 3 above 3500rpms but you bump against the rpm limited very quickly on the stage 4 long before peak hp is reached. The only way to avoid the rpm limiter during the dyno run was by disconnecting the VSS.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-17-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM
pmcelhin
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also doing a Stage 4 at the end of the month on my 17' CVO Streetglide - but using a Wood Performance TW999 cam instead of the SE 515 cam - focusing on torque rather than HP.

My Stage 3 117 CI with the SE 498 cam runs good. But want more torque and earlier in RPMs.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcelhin
I'm also doing a Stage 4 at the end of the month on my 17' CVO Streetglide - but using a Wood Performance TW999 cam instead of the SE 515 cam - focusing on torque rather than HP.

My Stage 3 117 CI with the SE 498 cam runs good. But want more torque and earlier in RPMs.
So do share, who is providing the tune for this set-up. I so would love to do the same!!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:04 AM
pmcelhin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ddbigcat
There will be no comparison between the 2 kits when using an exhaust like the d@d 2into1 and a non emission cam like the woods 999. As long as you don't care about engine warranty this engine has a ton of potential.

No issue with warranty with my dealer ... they stock many 3rd party after market performance parts.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Ddbigcat
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issue with warranty with my dealer ... they stock many 3rd party after market performance parts.
Same here. I just see so many on here scared of voiding there warranty and most likely some shops do that. I'm lucky that my dealership owner also drag races and is all about making power.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Heatwave

No issue with my local dealer supporting a warranty claim on my bike either, even with 3rd party upgrades. BUT, if there's a significant claim that involves a regional HD dealer rep to authorize the claim, THEN your local dealer is going to want to show the Reg HD Dealer rep that the bike had legal exhaust and HD engine components inside. If they are missing, you can be sure the regional rep will find any excuse possible to reject the claim.

Your dealer will be glad you had the cat header and internal HD components to get the HD claim approval while under warranty. If you have no issue with warranty claims, then there's lots of 3rd party performance components that can be installed for whatever level performance your wallet can support. No need to worry about warranties if that's your objective.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-19-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 PM
pmcelhin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Heatwave
No issue with my local dealer supporting a warranty claim on my bike either, even with 3rd party upgrades. BUT, if there's a significant claim that involves a regional HD dealer rep to authorize the claim, THEN your local dealer is going to want to show the Reg HD Dealer rep that the bike had legal exhaust and HD engine components inside. If they are missing, you can be sure the regional rep will find any excuse possible to reject the claim.

Your dealer will be glad you had the cat header and internal HD components to get the HD claim approval while under warranty. If you have no issue with warranty claims, then there's lots of 3rd party performance components that can be installed for whatever level performance your wallet can support. No need to worry about warranties if that's your objective.

Nener ever have had a problem. Not worried the least. I've never owned a HD without 3rd party performance parts.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Heatwave

Nener ever have had a problem. Not worried the least. I've never owned a HD without 3rd party performance parts.

Good luck.
Sounds like you have it all covered. Go for it. There's some terrific aftermarket heads, cylinders, pistons, cams and exhaust that can make some awesome power with the M8 and we're only 7 months into the new engine being on the market. Let 'er rip and don't worry about the warranty.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 4,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddbigcat
Same here. I just see so many on here scared of voiding there warranty and most likely some shops do that. I'm lucky that my dealership owner also drag races and is all about making power.
I have modded my new bikes with aftermarket parts, all but one was before the warranty expired and one was 6 months after purchase..... I had a good relationship with my dealer and knew he would do what he could to resolve any warranty issues....

BUT, I was well aware that I had voided my warranty with the MoCo and was on my own for any major issues

The MoCo dictates the warranty, not any dealer. While a dealer has leeway in what they report to the MoCo, they are not the final word on what gets repaired on the MoCo's dime. On a big claim, the dealer could be taking a big risk financially if they stick their neck out to get a non-EPA compliant bike repaired

The fear you referenced is that we are in unknown territory. The MoCo was fined big by the EPA, and has made concessions to ensure their bikes remain EPA compliant.

It is a new time for the MoCo when dealing with warranty repairs on non-EPA compliant bikes.... add to this a new engine design, and yes, some are worried about voiding the warranty, especially if they are contemplating an extended warranty. It is unknown how this will affect the "look the other way" warranty claims of the past.

I knowingly violated the warranty on a couple bikes and was willing to roll the dice. If you are too, then all the new warranty uncertainty will be amusing. If you want to keep your warranty, especially if you regularly travel outside the scope of your dealership, caution may be prudent...

It's risk- benefit... everyone choose the level they are comfortable with..

Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I have modded my new bikes with aftermarket parts, all but one was before the warranty expired and one was 6 months after purchase..... I had a good relationship with my dealer and knew he would do what he could to resolve any warranty issues....

BUT, I was well aware that I had voided my warranty with the MoCo and was on my own for any major issues

The MoCo dictates the warranty, not any dealer. While a dealer has leeway in what they report to the MoCo, they are not the final word on what gets repaired on the MoCo's dime. On a big claim, the dealer could be taking a big risk financially if they stick their neck out to get a non-EPA compliant bike repaired

The fear you referenced is that we are in unknown territory. The MoCo was fined big by the EPA, and has made concessions to ensure their bikes remain EPA compliant.

It is a new time for the MoCo when dealing with warranty repairs on non-EPA compliant bikes.... add to this a new engine design, and yes, some are worried about voiding the warranty, especially if they are contemplating an extended warranty. It is unknown how this will affect the "look the other way" warranty claims of the past.

I knowingly violated the warranty on a couple bikes and was willing to roll the dice. If you are too, then all the new warranty uncertainty will be amusing. If you want to keep your warranty, especially if you regularly travel outside the scope of your dealership, caution may be prudent...

It's risk- benefit... everyone choose the level they are comfortable with..
This is EXACTLY why I swallowed my pride and allowed the dealership to do a modest Stage II and called it good. After what will probably end up being over $8k in warranty work on the electrical system on my CVO and sweating the whole time when they were talking about getting an engineer to come look at it from back east. I decided I'd better leave well enough alone. I had horrors of owning a very expensive brick. All I did to that bike was brake lights and LED driving lights but I was sure they would look for an excuse to disallow the repairs as the bills were mounting. My dealer took care of me but I don't want to be in that sweat box again soon.

Quick Reply: Stage IV kit