Sponsored by:

M8 head pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017 | 10:47 PM
goose222
|
Road Master
Default M8 head pipe

I have searched hi and low on this forum and I am looking for hands on answer.
Has anybody decatted the stock header that can tell me if there was power loss or gained anywhere in the power curve. I know those new head pipes everyone has started to come out with are nice and pretty but what kind of gains if any are we going to see over the stock decatted pipe.
I am also running Rinehart 4" slipons.

Old 03-16-2017 | 05:35 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by goose222
Has anybody decatted the stock header that can tell me if there was power loss or gained anywhere in the power curve. I know those new head pipes everyone has started to come out with are nice and pretty but what kind of gains if any are we going to see over the stock decatted pipe.
I have friend who just picked his new bike up from the dealer. He has Kerker Stouts, High Flow AC, TTS tuner and the dealer decatted the pipe for him. All of this was done by the dealer before he ever picked it up. The bike runs great but with all that done at once I dont think he will be able to say which made the most improvement. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2017 | 07:16 AM
Heatwave

A new non-cat headpipe also requires a proper tune. The combination of the proper tune and headpipe has shown generally around a 8-10hp + 8-10ft-lb increase in power (give or take). Improvements are over the entire curve for the most part and vary based on the cam and heads you start with. Take a look at Fuelmoto's M8 dyno library for examples.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-16-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2017 | 07:59 AM
mjohnson68
Cruiser

Kind of wondering the same thing...

I see Fuel Moto has a new header out that uses the stock shields.

I also see V&H is making the power duals (which I have had in the past and love).

The question is spend the extra for the V&H or save a few and go with the Fuel Moto?

Which is going to give more HP?

I so far have only found 1 set of downslash slip ons which Fuel Moto makes so they will be the choice there.

Not sure about what breather and tuner yet but leaning towards the Thundermax...

Sorry to hijack your thread...

Mike.

Old 03-16-2017 | 10:01 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Be careful as the M8 exhaust is much better than the old Twincam exhaust was. The typical gains you saw on a TwinCam are NOT there with the M8 exhaust change. Now if your adding cams, heads and such it's different.

Old 03-16-2017 | 10:13 AM
NCTURBOS
Tourer

From what I've seen so far, from those posting their back-to-back testing, with a Stage-1 style build, de-catting the stock headpipe did NOT show any power gains. Just noise level changes... Add more exotic parts to the build (IE. camshaft) and your results may vary!

K.

Old 03-16-2017 | 10:23 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by Quik
I have friend who just picked his new bike up from the dealer. He has Kerker Stouts, High Flow AC, TTS tuner and the dealer decatted the pipe for him. All of this was done by the dealer before he ever picked it up. The bike runs great but with all that done at once I dont think he will be able to say which made the most improvement. Good luck!
Any dealer that does this can face huge fines from the EPA.

Old 03-16-2017 | 11:34 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
Any dealer that does this can face huge fines from the EPA.
EPA has NEVER fined a retailer (which is what every HD dealership is) and definitely won't be giving fines to retailers under the current administration, particularly after they have their budget slashed.

BTW, here's a stock M8 107 with a decatted headpipe/mufflers and tune vs factory setup. Tune plus exhaust resulted in 10hp/10 ftlbs improvement over stock

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ultra61 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-16-2017 | 11:37 AM
Rokinrider
Cruiser

It don't matter the EPA is not going to have the funding for keeping us and our dealers honest. I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but my prediction is let the good times roll with our free flowing exhaust����

The following 2 users liked this post by Rokinrider:
Heatwave (03-16-2017), Johnny Goodlife (10-01-2017)
Old 03-16-2017 | 01:11 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rokinrider
It don't matter the EPA is not going to have the funding for keeping us and our dealers honest. I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but my prediction is let the good times roll with our free flowing exhaust����
You may very well be right, but I wouldn't want to get rid of any take off parts which might be needed down the road. The EPA is like any entity or business, they can use budget dollars to police or improve on anything they feel is needing the attention. The EPA also has more funding than just budgeted federal dollars, they take in millions of extra dollars from non compliance fines which can be used to bump up the budget.

Think about them as you would a local Police dept. Need more money, just right more tickets and let the fines from those tickets take care of your needs.

Quick Reply: M8 head pipe