Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 head pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017 | 01:26 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

Since the stock Bagger system is technically a 2-1 I'm not sure how plugging up one muffler is in any way, an improvement.
The fact the OEM system uses 2 mufflers to expel exhaust (after the 2-1 collector) this also means there is twice the exit volume.
With 2 muffs you can use more restrictive (quieter) muffs without giving up performance.
Bob

Old 03-21-2017 | 06:18 PM
bradn
Road Master

Walked into my HD service department today and talked to them about removing the cat from from my RGU. Response was, no problem. I asked if it would have any impact on my warranty, and they said, yes - it will void your engine warranty.

Maybe it's every dealer makes their own determination, I don't know, but I was disappointed with that response.

Old 03-21-2017 | 06:37 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Since the stock Bagger system is technically a 2-1 I'm not sure how plugging up one muffler is in any way, an improvement.
The fact the OEM system uses 2 mufflers to expel exhaust (after the 2-1 collector) this also means there is twice the exit volume.
With 2 muffs you can use more restrictive (quieter) muffs without giving up performance.
Bob
Frank Drago (Dragosbikeworks) is getting ready to produce a 2-1-2 header for the M8 that is designed to so that you can block off the left outlet and run it as a 2-1 header. He says that if you want to do that you need to purchase one of his header mufflers for the best performance, as mufflers designed for the 2-1-2 system are a little too restrictive to run just one. The system produces better power as a 2-1, but it would still give you the option of having 2 mufflers. He did say that a decatted stock head pipe is actually a pretty good header.

Old 03-22-2017 | 01:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bradn
Walked into my HD service department today and talked to them about removing the cat from from my RGU. Response was, no problem. I asked if it would have any impact on my warranty, and they said, yes - it will void your engine warranty.

Maybe it's every dealer makes their own determination, I don't know, but I was disappointed with that response.
Its more like every dealer chooses to be truthful or misleading. A good example of misleading is some years back I knew a guy who had the racing Stage 3 kit installed, dealer told him it was covered under warranty since he was using SE parts. When the engine **** the bed, the MoCo wanted to see what was up so they sent a rep. The rep said warranty was void due to the use of competition parts. After much arguing and hell raising, the dealer covered part of the damage, the owner ate the rest.There are also a good many people who work at a dealer that have no clue as to what is a and isn't covered under warranty.

Old 03-22-2017 | 01:24 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by msocko3
Its more like every dealer chooses to be truthful or misleading. A good example of misleading is some years back I knew a guy who had the racing Stage 3 kit installed, dealer told him it was covered under warranty since he was using SE parts. When the engine **** the bed, the MoCo wanted to see what was up so they sent a rep. The rep said warranty was void due to the use of competition parts. After much arguing and hell raising, the dealer covered part of the damage, the owner ate the rest.There are also a good many people who work at a dealer that have no clue as to what is a and isn't covered under warranty.
Also worth noting that for all warranties (including 3rd party ESPs) that the only parts covered beyond original Factory components, are the parts listed under the VIN for your bike. The only way components can get added to the VIN is by the Parts counter at an HD dealer. And the only way the Parts counter will add components to the VIN is by having the parts installed on your bike by an authorized dealer within the first 60 days after a new bike is purchased. If you ask the parts counter, they can usually print out whats covered under the factory warranty or ESP for your VIN. This is the same report that the HD Sales Department will use when they determine what will be covered under the Harley (or a 3rd Party) ESP.

If you add a stage kit upgrade after 60 days, it will have a parts warranty but it will NOT be covered under your 2 year factory warranty or any future Extended Service Plan.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-23-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2017 | 07:47 PM
bradn
Road Master

Originally Posted by Heatwave

If you add a stage kit upgrade after 60 days, it will have a parts warranty but it will NOT be covered under your 2 year factory warranty or any future Extended Service Plan. Your own your own for the upgrades after the parts warranty expires if you had it installed after the first 60 days of ownership.
I'm good with HD warranty not covering aftermarket products, but what I don't want is aftermarket products voiding my HD warranty.

Old 03-22-2017 | 08:06 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by bradn
I'm good with HD warranty not covering aftermarket products, but what I don't want is aftermarket products voiding my HD warranty.
Only HD products purchased and installed during the first 60 days will be added to the Factory warranty or ESP coverage.

Any aftermarket products (tuners, cams and exhaust for example) that are not 50 state emission certified can result in a drivetrain warranty claim being rejectd by the Harley Davidson corporation as named in the EPA Settlement in Aug of last year.

Old 03-30-2017 | 06:40 PM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
Any dealer that does this can face huge fines from the EPA.
And any dealer WILLING to do this should be advertised so any HD riders in the area can take advantage!

Old 03-30-2017 | 10:23 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by xnysgt
And any dealer WILLING to do this should be advertised so any HD riders in the area can take advantage!
Staying quiet is the only way they might pull it off , if the MoCo got wind you can bet any warranty claims from said dealer will get extra scrutiny.