Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 head pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017 | 05:22 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Heatwave
EPA has NEVER fined a retailer (which is what every HD dealership is) and definitely won't be giving fines to retailers under the current administration, particularly after they have their budget slashed.

BTW, here's a stock M8 107 with a decatted headpipe/mufflers and tune vs factory setup. Tune plus exhaust resulted in 10hp/10 ftlbs improvement over stock

I could be wrong but I think there is a difference from a decatted head pipe and a head pipe which is purpose built without a cat. From all I've read and seen, a OEM/stock head pipe that has had the cat removed shows very little to no improvement in hp or torque. Head pipes that are built without a cat already have more airflow, and with a performance AC and a tune, will likely show the improvements as per the dyno from Fuel Moto.

Old 03-16-2017 | 06:00 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
I could be wrong but I think there is a difference from a decatted head pipe and a head pipe which is purpose built without a cat. From all I've read and seen, a OEM/stock head pipe that has had the cat removed shows very little to no improvement in hp or torque. Head pipes that are built without a cat already have more airflow, and with a performance AC and a tune, will likely show the improvements as per the dyno from Fuel Moto.
Agreed.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-26-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2017 | 06:58 PM
scorpion6
Intermediate

My answer is that I'm waiting on V&H to release a 2 into 1 system for the M8. That will pretty much guarantee improvements across the board with everything else being equal. A better flowing header combined with what is has long been the best type of exhaust for everything shy of full blown drag racing. I know Bassani and D&D already have systems but the D&D is louder than I want and I don't care for the bend in the pipes that the Bassani system has so I'm patiently waiting for V&H's product.

Old 03-18-2017 | 09:48 PM
goose222
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
Any dealer that does this can face huge fines from the EPA.
I would like to ask who the hell cares what kind of fines a dealer can get by doing this. Damn sure ain't no sweat off the bike owners *** either so now back to the original thread topic.

Old 03-18-2017 | 10:04 PM
goose222
|
Road Master

Agreed. I have not seen any dynos of the stock headpipe bored out to remove the cat. The purposebuilt FM 2/1/2 headpipe I would expect to perform far better than a decatted stock headpipe. The purpose of showing the dyno above was to address the question of whether or not the stock headpipe with cat performs as well as a free flowing non cat headpipe. The dyno chart shows that a free flowing headpipe with a good tune can deliver pretty solid improvement results compared to the factory headpipe with factory ECU map.
Certainly not knocking fuel Moto because they are my go to guys but I think you would be pleasantly surprised how close the actual numbers are between fuel Moto 2-1-2 head pipe and a decatted stock header. The question is there is a lot of people who get after market headers for better sound and not so much better performance. So what ever mite be ones choice, if all you want is a deeper exhaust note decatting the stock header would be a wiser choice by keeping your wallet $500 heavier.

Old 03-19-2017 | 08:34 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by goose222
Certainly not knocking fuel Moto because they are my go to guys but I think you would be pleasantly surprised how close the actual numbers are between fuel Moto 2-1-2 head pipe and a decatted stock header. The question is there is a lot of people who get after market headers for better sound and not so much better performance. So what ever mite be ones choice, if all you want is a deeper exhaust note decatting the stock header would be a wiser choice by keeping your wallet $500 heavier.
I want to keep the factory headpipe intact for warranty purposes. Enough said.

Old 03-19-2017 | 08:42 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

EPA has NEVER fined a retailer (which is what every HD dealership is) and definitely won't be giving fines to retailers under the current administration, particularly after they have their budget slashed.

BTW, here's a stock M8 107 with a decatted headpipe/mufflers and tune vs factory setup. Tune plus exhaust resulted in 10hp/10 ftlbs improvement over stock

Your sheet also shows a much improved power band ,coming in at 2k way over the stock pipe and holding that gain to 4.5K makes it vary worthwhile.

Last edited by Stopit; 03-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2017 | 05:13 PM
copper1977
5th Gear

I want to keep the factory headpipe intact for warranty purposes. Enough said.

There is a guy on eBay that sells stock head pipes minus the cat for around $100 with free shipping. He sold a bunch for the 103's and they were great.

I talked to him a few times and he said that he doesn't have the stock yet to sell them outright but will in the near future. He also said that he's been working on a true 2-1 head pipe with a block off for the cross under pipe to keep it looking stock and has shown ~10 horsepower on the dyno.

I'm probably waiting for the stock head pipe just for the sound since the SC's are a little too quiet for my taste.

The following users liked this post:
BlkHillsBagger (03-19-2017)
Old 03-21-2017 | 10:36 AM
bradn
Road Master

I am seriously considering the FM headpipe. But I do have to question what the difference is between a decated stock pipe vs. the FM aftermarket version. Especially given you are able to re-use the stock heat shield. So if the bends are the same as stock, what exactly is the difference?

Also, will a decat help move the heat through the system with less restriction? I just got back from Daytona where I was finally able to put some miles on the new bike. I was kind of surprised at the amount of heat at the right ankle. Is that a result of the cat being moved closer to the muffler (or ankle as it may be) on the 17's?

Old 03-21-2017 | 10:52 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by copper1977
there is a guy on ebay that sells stock head pipes minus the cat for around $100 with free shipping. He sold a bunch for the 103's and they were great.

I talked to him a few times and he said that he doesn't have the stock yet to sell them outright but will in the near future. He also said that he's been working on a true 2-1 head pipe with a block off for the cross under pipe to keep it looking stock and has shown ~10 horsepower on the dyno.

I'm probably waiting for the stock head pipe just for the sound since the sc's are a little too quiet for my taste.
you can just weld up the stock pipe and have a two into one

Quick Reply: M8 head pipe