Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 08:11 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,112 Likes on 1,842 Posts

300 miles in 93*F today, header wrap only = hot, header wrap + heat shields = better than just heat shields. It's better, just need to test stop and go in the heat

On a whim, rode to Florence, SC to get a little taste of home... Buc-ees! Just opened up this week.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:20 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
300 miles in 93*F today, header wrap only = hot, header wrap + heat shields = better than just heat shields. It's better, just need to test stop and go in the heat

On a whim, rode to Florence, SC to get a little taste of home... Buc-ees! Just opened up this week.
Did you check out Black Jack across the Interstate?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:35 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Quik
Did you check out Black Jack across the Interstate?
I did - didn't spend too much time there, just enough to get some shade, check out shirts/hats, and head across the interstate to Bucees.

As mentioned before, they had STACKS of American Elites lol. Also the nicest dealership I've been in.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:27 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts
Talking

Something else that helped my endurance during my trip this past weekend was getting a taller windscreen. A few months ago I had ordered a new @longrideshields-1 Ultra Elite (recurve), this time an 11" (typically run 7" around town). The taller shield helps so much with buffeting that I know I can last longer in the saddle because of it. At highway speeds, the wind coming over the top of the 7" screen hits me in the forehead causing my eyeballs to rattle around, while the 11" shield throws it up right to the top of my helmet which only causes wind noise not any sort of head shaking. I kinda wish I got 12" or 13", but I got a STEAL.

LRS had an overstock/open box page on their site (that I can't seem to find again). For a whopping $54 plus $15 shipping, I had the new shield in about 3 days. This was the tallest shield they had on clearance at the time or else I would have gone taller. When I'm sitting on the bike straight up, the shield is as high as my chin - normal riding position it's about to my upper lip.

The 7" has held up for five years (and counting) and I still run with that locally (looks better). Because of the great experience with the first shield I wanted to stick with LRS. I'm glad I did.

Thanks for adding some LRS™ recurve to your ride! The sale you are referring to was our bi-annual garage sale! The next one will be around October/November, just after riding season. Are you still rocking that 11" shield? If so how do you like it??

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-18-2022, 01:32 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Thanks for adding some LRS™ recurve to your ride! The sale you are referring to was our bi-annual garage sale! The next one will be around October/November, just after riding season. Are you still rocking that 11" shield? If so how do you like it??
@longrideshields-1 YES! I love the 11" on my longer rides - saves me from horrible buffeting. Commuting I still run the same 7" LRS recurve I've had for 5.5 years now!

The following users liked this post:
longrideshields-1 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 01:40 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Two updates:
1) The past month has been a great test of the header wrap. I've seen plenty of commutes (30+ minutes) in the 95F+ temps and the right leg is about the same temp as the left. Still a little warmer, but MUCH lower felt heat. I've also ridden in rain, parked in rain, and then rode after the bike sat a couple hours - there was some steam that was boiling off, which shows there is some trapping of water. Once I got home about 20 minutes later, there was no more steam, so I presume the water was dissipated by then.

2) I just bought some black Cobra Neighbor Haters from Dennis Kirk for $375. BOTH of my Street Cannons are now rattling and it's pissing me off. These are the second set of Street Cannons that have done this. Surprisingly, even though these are still the first gen SC's, this second set has lasted 3 years. Too bad my ESP doesn't cover exhaust!

Old 06-18-2022, 06:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 4,764 Posts

Two updates:
1) The past month has been a great test of the header wrap. I've seen plenty of commutes (30+ minutes) in the 95F+ temps and the right leg is about the same temp as the left. Still a little warmer, but MUCH lower felt heat. I've also ridden in rain, parked in rain, and then rode after the bike sat a couple hours - there was some steam that was boiling off, which shows there is some trapping of water. Once I got home about 20 minutes later, there was no more steam, so I presume the water was dissipated by then.

2) I just bought some black Cobra Neighbor Haters from Dennis Kirk for $375. BOTH of my Street Cannons are now rattling and it's pissing me off. These are the second set of Street Cannons that have done this. Surprisingly, even though these are still the first gen SC's, this second set has lasted 3 years. Too bad my ESP doesn't cover exhaust!

Old 06-18-2022, 06:50 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

MJ, I know you've had your bouts with rev. 1 Street Cannons and no issues with rev. 2 - have you used any other slip-ons on your M8's?

If anyone else wants to chime in with their experience with the Neighbor Haters, feel free

Old 06-18-2022, 07:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 4,764 Posts

MJ, I know you've had your bouts with rev. 1 Street Cannons and no issues with rev. 2 - have you used any other slip-ons on your M8's?

If anyone else wants to chime in with their experience with the Neighbor Haters, feel free
nah, once I traded it for my current bike I left the powertrain 100% TF alone and glad I did…and will remain that way

BrandonSmith (06-19-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:25 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

COBRA NEIGHBOR HATERS
Bad to the bone... these things BARK with throttle. Deep, low rumble idling and cruising. No annoying drone. Sounds more like a Harley than a sewing machine now. I should have made the change from the Street Cannons a long time ago - I thought the Street Cannons were good. They were 'okay' - compared to the Neighbor Haters the Street Cannons don't sound any different than stock.

I made some videos to compare the difference but my iPhone likes to clip the audio if it gets to be too loud... All my Neighbor Hater footage of me accelerating down the road, decelerating, idling, etc. is practically all clipped and you can't hear the exhaust I'm not going to bother re-recording anything, it's a huge difference in sound between the two mufflers.

Thanks to @Cosmic Razorback for the inadvertent recommendation.

Cosmic Razorback (06-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX