Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 11:53 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,112 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
In the end, you will likely have a rotted, or cracked header pipe resulting from the wrap 😞
Speaking from experience?

My dad and uncles have wrapped headers on all sorts of vehicles for 30+ years and have never experienced any ill effects.

DEI's website addresses rust and the potential of holding too much heat. Yes, they have a product to market, however, they cannot just say whatever they want and get away with it.
https://www.designengineering.com/co...faq/010128.pdf
Will wrapping my exhaust pipes make it rust? If the exhaust pipe is made of mild steel, it may rust over time with or without exhaust wrap. If you are going to wrap any kind of steel pipe we recommend using DEI HT Silicone Coating to spray the header or pipes prior to applying Titanium exhaust wrap. However, there is no need to apply DEI HT Silicone Coating to Titanium wrap.

Why only a ¼" overlap, isn't more better? More is not always better when it comes to exhaust wrap. You can hold too much heat in the tubing and manifold to the point of changing the molecular structure of the metal. This can cause premature wear of the tubes or fractured welds. Overlapping ¼" is receommended as this allows just enough heat to emit.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:20 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,199 Likes on 3,376 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Speaking from experience?

My dad and uncles have wrapped headers on all sorts of vehicles for 30+ years and have never experienced any ill effects.
Yes sir. Do your pops and unc ever ride in water? I am strictly speaking about motorcycles, I am very aware of other vehicles and engines having success, and I have actually wrapped many systems on industrial engines.
Man, I truly hope it works for you. I have yet to see long term happiness for a bike. Keep us posted!!

Old 05-14-2022, 10:05 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Yes sir. Do your pops and unc ever ride in water? I am strictly speaking about motorcycles, I am very aware of other vehicles and engines having success, and I have actually wrapped many systems on industrial engines.
Man, I truly hope it works for you. I have yet to see long term happiness for a bike. Keep us posted!!
They have used on dirt bikes and one motorcycle. What was your experience? My pipes have a lot of surface corrosion already without wrap. I have pics to compare before and after the wrap so I can know if wrap makes it worse.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:48 AM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Just wanted to tell you, I've enjoyed your thread, and, appreciated the info. on the steering head bearings. Doesn't sound too intimidating, after seeing this thread. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:12 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
They have used on dirt bikes and one motorcycle. What was your experience? My pipes have a lot of surface corrosion already without wrap. I have pics to compare before and after the wrap so I can know if wrap makes it worse.
The 2 street bikes I installed them on rotted the pipes, nearly clean through. I will dig up a pic. I was "told" it was from riding in the rain, and whatever chemical leached out of the wrap during those episodes, not sure I buy that BS.

My old man tried it on 2 Triumphs, both cracked right at the end of the wrap.

2 friends with similar experiences with cracking. I don't know what the hell the deal is with motorcycle pipes. I would love to do the same, don't get me wrong!

Old 05-16-2022, 04:15 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I don't know a single person that has had one of the newer OEM headers crack. Was a thing on the 08s and below though... that crossover was crap.
Anyway, I ran mine wrapped for a good while (but not 10 years) and it definitely didn't crack mine. Was wet a ton of times too.

Maybe HD uses better stainless or today's wraps are made from better materials - volcano rock? .. who knows.

Break-break: Brandon, I rode NC 107, then NC 281 (Sylva to Lake Toxaway) this weekend... excellent road I've never been on. Check it out next time you're up there...

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb...!5m2!1sen!2sus

Last edited by lp; 05-16-2022 at 04:35 PM.
BrandonSmith (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:25 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
I don't know a single person that has had one of the newer OEM headers crack. Was a thing on the 08s and below though... that crossover was crap.
Anyway, I ran mine wrapped for a good while (but not 10 years) and it definitely didn't crack mine. Was wet a ton of times too.

Maybe HD uses better stainless or today's wraps are made from better materials - volcano rock? .. who knows.

Break-break: Brandon, I rode NC 107, then NC 281 (Sylva to Lake Toxaway) this weekend... excellent road I've never been on. Check it out next time you're up there...
Right on, good to know! I look forward to Brandon's long term report on it.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:34 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Just wanted to tell you, I've enjoyed your thread, and, appreciated the info. on the steering head bearings. Doesn't sound too intimidating, after seeing this thread. Thanks!
Thank you. It's not intimidating at all - just give yourself a 4-5 hours if you don't plan on rushing. I did the job in front of my apartment at the time! The biggest part of the job is getting the fairing off, which is really just undoing one thing to get access to another thing to get access to another thing. Nothing intimidating, just... arduous . I see you also liked the thread I started specifically for the steering head bearings so you've got the service manual procedure. Let me know if you need any help.

Bafflingbs (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:40 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

The 2 street bikes I installed them on rotted the pipes, nearly clean through. I will dig up a pic. I was "told" it was from riding in the rain, and whatever chemical leached out of the wrap during those episodes, not sure I buy that BS.
My old man tried it on 2 Triumphs, both cracked right at the end of the wrap.
2 friends with similar experiences with cracking. I don't know what the hell the deal is with motorcycle pipes. I would love to do the same, don't get me wrong!
Would those have been titanium pipes? Those do crack easily because they become brittle with too much heat.
All stainless is not equal. People think stainless doesn't rust - it most definitely does, it just depends on the grade and how long the metal stays in contact with the corrosive. 304 is the most common grade and will rust quicker compared to 316 (316 has molybdenum added to prevent certain corrosion) . 400-series SS contains much more carbon than 300-series and rusts easily (400s are usually cutlery-grade, so take a look at some SS utensils you have).

Originally Posted by lp

Good to hear your pipes were okay even through the wet. Yeah my wrap is the same stuff you liked previously, so it's just the cheapo fiberglass crap that I will NEVER use again. I still have fiberglass all over my yard weeks later... Crazy this stuff doesn't go away. But you're right, the DEI stuff is made from pulverized volcanic rock that is somehow woven into a fabric... Would love to see that process.

Originally Posted by lp

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb...!5m2!1sen!2sus
Sick... I might be doing a road trip up that way memorial weekend or the weekend after. My next ride will be the one you mentioned before - got it all mapped out just need to hit the road when I have time.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-16-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Right on, good to know! I look forward to Brandon's long term report on it.
It may not be long-term, just depends. I need to put the heat shields back on now that the temps are in the 90s again and get a feel for the felt heat. If I think the temps I feel on my leg are lower I will change the wrap to the DEI stuff (volcanic rock). If there's really no difference in heat felt on my leg, the wrap is coming off.

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX