Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 04:01 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Well I decided to get a little creative with my time today now that I've been put in a good mood.

I pulled my Sony radio out and wrapped it in heavy gauge foil to weatherproof it:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...l#post19119302

I tidied up my handle bar wiring while the radio was out of the way: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post19119246

Old 05-15-2020, 05:58 PM
WillSin865
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
Good news B.
I notice that these bars do make me sit a little further forward, but not much.
Dealer installed them along with the axeo front end, which I'm still on the fence on.

The quality of the chrome and bar, from what I can see outside of the fairing is outstanding.
My only gripe is I don't have 100% smooth throttle operation.
Don't get me wrong, it's not sticking or anything like that, but you can feel very small movements when doing cones or other low speed, throttle sensitive activity.

I know common school of thought is grease or oil will collect dirt in there, but there has to be something to give it the factory smoothness.
I have these on my Ultra and the finish is outstanding on mine as well. I have the same sticky throttle as well, I wondered if it was just me. Guess it's got something to do with the bars.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I like my WO579s
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I just got back after a 2 hour cruise with the 579s installed. I like them a lot. They are comfortable and provide a lot of control of the bike. Very pleased. Here are the pics I promised.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-16-2020, 05:56 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by WillSin865
I have these on my Ultra and the finish is outstanding on mine as well. I have the same sticky throttle as well, I wondered if it was just me. Guess it's got something to do with the bars.
Well, no offense, but I'm glad it's just not me...lol.
I may take mine off and see what can be done.

Like I said, definitely not a safety issue, just a precision throttle control thing..

Those bars look good B.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:33 AM
1badharley
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I have used Wild Ones on the last 3 Harleys that I have owned. very comfortable... great finish ...great bars..

Brandon....how do like your mmats speakers? are they just cleaner in sound? do they have more bass? more punch? .......I was considering do the same setup as you, but I hate buying without being able to listen to, as I made that mistake buying a J&M package and yes it was louder and cleaner....but no punch......all highs (tinny)

As far as the throttle thing....I have the same sticky feeling ....noticed on the stock bars there was a film of grease....anyone have another option/fix?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:09 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

RE: Mmats, they are a solid speaker all the way around. Since they’re coaxial, the tweeter handles the highs, and the cone handles the rest. They have decent mid-bass (~100hz), so you’re not going to feel the bass, but it does have a rich, warm sound overall. They do have some punch, I can feel it in my chest when I’ve got the volume cranked up.

RE: throttle sticking, the only time I’ve ever had the throttle stick was when I didn’t give the throttle grip endplay (slop) as you’re supposed to. The grip needs to rattle slightly, your brake lever and hand controls positions affect throttle grip endplay - don’t move the right hand controls and brake lever all the way over toward the left. Also, the twist grip sensor does not rotate inside the bar, all the rotation is done internally to the sensor. Lube inside the bars only helps with insertion . If the grip doesn’t have endplay, the gear on the sensor can get stuck due to the force pressing it against the sensor body.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:31 PM
1badharley
Cruiser

Thank you sir!

Old 05-17-2020, 04:39 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by 1badharley
Thank you sir!
that’s my interpretation lol I’m an audio newbie and went with the package the audio forum likes to call, “you can’t go wrong with this package.” I’m very pleased with the Mmats. I’ve got this thing cranking and it sounds very good to my ears. I couldn’t imaging better sound for the price. I don’t know if the amp plays a big factor in overall sound as much as the speakers, but the stinger spx 700.4 and mmats pa601.4cx speakers are a great match in my opinion, as well as the opinion of the regulars over in the audio section. They aren’t even recommending any other setup for this price range. Ymmv

Old 05-17-2020, 05:05 PM
1badharley
Cruiser

lol.....must have been reading the same audio threads

Old 05-18-2020, 05:15 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

Yeah B, i didn't want to jack your thread...but...
The throttle wasn't sticking, it just felt sticky...that's the best way to explain it.
Herky jerky on the bar.
Took mine all apart, cleaned the bar with acetone and put a tiny, tiny dab of waterproof white lithium grease.
Exactly as it should be, and yes, great point, it must have a little side to side slop or it will stick...

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX