Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 07:15 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
Just wait till you get old...lol
HAHAHA "just don't use it till you need it"..

Old 03-30-2020, 05:21 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Add a couple more items to the list!
Sony XAV-AX7000 Plug & Play Bundle w/ Metra 95-9700 Dash Kit | '14 - '20 (eta end of week)
PA601cx (eta end of April due to covid-19)

I just wanted a little more oomph from the radio at highway speeds and carplay will be nice, though it won't be much different than having my phone front and center on my fairing. Really looking forward to the head unit! I know others have this setup without an external amp and they say it's great, so I'll wait and see.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:52 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

Interested to see how you'll like this.
I gotta be honest, and I have the new GTS and rear speakers. Even with a full lid on, no issues hearing on the highway.
Radio, GPS does everything I need it to.
That is a nice looking radio, looking forward to see how you like it.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Interested to see how you'll like this.
I gotta be honest, and I have the new GTS and rear speakers. Even with a full lid on, no issues hearing on the highway.
Radio, GPS does everything I need it to.
That is a nice looking radio, looking forward to see how you like it.
I wear a FF too. The biggest upgrade for me is ear plugs. Can't hear my own thoughts because of the wind noise without plugs in. Stock setup is much better with the plugs in. On the interstate (75mph+) it's harder to hear but I can still hear ok - can't hear anything in a headwind. I only have a 7" windscreen so I still take some wind to the helmet, which makes it harder to hear as well. I've been doing longer distance rides on weekends and I just want to be able to hear the music louder and clearer. I'm certain the amp in the Sony will be plenty to power the 2 MMats, but if not I'll get an external amp.

Mind you I have a Boom 4.3 and it does what I need it to - play music - but let's be honest, ANYTHING is an upgrade compared to that. I am looking forward to coming up with a cover for the Sony. I leave my bike outside at times, I ride rain or shine, but I'm not stupid enough to just leave the Sony naked and expect it to last years - I'll come up with some sort of cover.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:51 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 657 Likes on 325 Posts

I have a set of custom silicone earplugs. With the plugs in, the radio actually sounds better/clearer on the highway.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Crabchuck
I have a set of custom silicone earplugs. With the plugs in, the radio actually sounds better/clearer on the highway.
Same here. I would never ride without them just because of wind noise and I want to keep my ears from ringing. The biggest immediate advantage is the clarity and definition of important sounds like emergency vehicles and music

Old 03-31-2020, 03:00 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Gotta be honest, I have a bit taller windshield and I really, really hate wearing a FF. I really only wear it when it's cold and/or raining. Sound bounces around too much for my liking.
I really like a half lid.
However, that being said...if I know I'm taking a longer trip I have been putting expandable foam plugs in my ears to kind of help with the ringing afterwards.

I also sometimes wear the half helmet headphones/mic when I have the Mrs. on the back. Radio still sounds good and they cut down on the ringing some as well.
My Limited also has lowers and the "pie plate" deflector on the triple trees. No buffeting for me. I know I've read elsewhere you battled that for a bit, or at least I think it was you Brandon.

That Sony isn't marine grade weatherproof, or you're just taking extra precautions?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:00 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

That was me with the buffeting. LRS shield, fangs, lowers, triple tree deflector, fairing deflectors and I still get beat up pretty good.

The Sony is not marine grade.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:03 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Interesting, it does state weather proof and a 3yr warranty.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:29 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Interesting, it does state weather proof and a 3yr warranty.
Sony states it has weather-sealed buttons and mentions nothing about other weatherproofing. Fat Heads says some other stuff like the 7000 being weatherproof, and as long as they're making that claim, the onus is on them should anything happen. Fat Heads has even said they've never had a warranty denial for weather-related damage, however, Sony's warranty (LINK) specifically states that it does not cover "outdoor exposure and other acts of nature." (Section "Repair/Replacement Warranty", 2nd paragraph, item i).

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX