Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

They can still deny once they see the tire/ nail, in person...hopefully they won't thou...no sense mentioning it over the phone, they'll wait til they have the bike in their clutches...

Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,112 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no discussion of tread wear depth playing into a yes / no coverage?
Originally Posted by bradsULtd
They can still deny once they see the tire/ nail, in person...hopefully they won't thou...no sense mentioning it over the phone, they'll wait til they have the bike in their clutches...
MJ, the initial phone call is only to ensure and understand active coverage in place. The repair facility will call First Extended and explain the tire condition, damage, and whatever First Extended wants to know, then they'll get the go/no-go. My agreement states 3/32" of tread depth as the limit: I'm around 5/32" after 6k miles.

Personally, I never give repair facility permission to work on vehicle unless they get a go-ahead from a warranty/insurance/etc. - this way, if the claim is denied, I don't get stuck paying an exorbitant amount for something I could fix myself for much less. Also worth noting in reference to this last statement, First Extended, per the agreement, only reimburses for pickup (towing), lodging, and rental - so you better be damn sure your loss is covered because you WILL be paying out-of-pocket, and one might expect to be getting that money back, but if the claim is denied, you won't be.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-20-2019 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrandonSmith:
bradsULtd (05-20-2019), mjwebb (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 4,764 Posts

makes sense, was just curious what the limitation was compared to the HD sponsored ESP I got

Old 05-20-2019, 09:59 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
makes sense, was just curious what the limitation was compared to the HD sponsored ESP I got
I edited above, but you beat me to it: My agreement states 3/32" of tread depth as the limit: I'm around 5/32" after 6k miles.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:31 PM
ibang1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I've got an email sent to Legend to understand why 6 is softer than 1, when the instructions say the opposite. Hoping to hear back tomorrow. Also, I only hear one shock hiss when I bounce on the bike... Wondering if one shock is bad.
Totally different from the instructions for sure if that’s what they wrote in the email. I have the same shocks and haven’t really played too much with them. My settings are on 2 and 12” per the directions. I wanted them a bit softer and will try dialing it the other way. Glad you posted!

when you say hissing? Does it happen when you go over a curb very slow? I noticed when I would pull up to the drive way at 5mph and once I hit the lip of the driveway I would hear like a squeak. It only happens at slow speeds and from my right shock.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by ibang1
Totally different from the instructions for sure if that’s what they wrote in the email. I have the same shocks and haven’t really played too much with them. My settings are on 2 and 12” per the directions. I wanted them a bit softer and will try dialing it the other way. Glad you posted!

when you say hissing? Does it happen when you go over a curb very slow? I noticed when I would pull up to the drive way at 5mph and once I hit the lip of the driveway I would hear like a squeak. It only happens at slow speeds and from my right shock.
The sound is the usual sound a shock absorber makes when moving.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:06 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I've got an email sent to Legend to understand why 6 is softer than 1, when the instructions say the opposite. Hoping to hear back tomorrow. Also, I only hear one shock hiss when I bounce on the bike... Wondering if one shock is bad.
I also had a couple other items in the email I sent: heavy vibration in the RIGHT footboard with the legend shocks, and belt deflection.

Received a response from Legend:
Thank you for your follow up. To start the suspension is reacting correctly. If you do not hear a hissing sound on 1 and you do on 6 the suspension is working properly. The rebound **** is more of a preference adjustment, some people love 1 and some love 5 and there is no rhyme or reason but personal preference.

Now as far as the vibration, this is the first time hearing of this issue. I would be sure your foot board is secure.

As far as belt tension goes, our suspension follows Harleys [13" standard length] specs so we recommend following the factory belt deflection.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:07 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I made my first call to Discount ESP First Extended Service Corporation this morning to open a claim for the nail in my rear tire. Spoiler Alert: Nothing negative to say so far, the following is just my boring personal account containing all the details I can remember from the call.

Per the Extended Service Agreement, "To ensure coverage under the terms of this Extended Service Agreement authorization must be obtained prior to repair." So, I gave them a call, pressed "1" for the agreement-holder option, spoke the last eight digits of my VIN, waited for three minutes, and then Pedro answered. Pedro asked for my name, the last eight of the VIN, and the make and model of the vehicle. After telling him, "Harley Street Glide" he asked me if I had purchased the contract from the Harley dealer in Janesvillle, to which I replied, "yes", since, technically, I did (as it is written in the agreement). Pedro mentioned he could see the coverage, and asked me if I was having a problem with the vehicle. I told him that I have what looks to be nail in the rear tire. Pedro looked over the agreement, asked me if I was near the Janesville dealer and I said, "No, I'm in Georgia at the moment." I was put on a brief hold while Pedro looked over the contract and upon his return he said the agreement says that I am that far away, I can take the vehicle anywhere for repairs, and he then asked if I will need towing or if I will be riding the motorcycle to the repair facility (with a nail in the tire, mind you)... I stated it probably wouldn't be safe to ride there with a nail in the tire. Pedro informed me that the agreement allows for reimbursement for pickup (i.e. towing) for up to $100. Pedro now informed me that once I get to a repair facility, I need to inform them of the service agreement and give the repair facility all the information and have the repair facility call First Extended so they can "work out the parts and labor." I asked if any sort of pre-authorization number was needed and Pedro said no, just the last eight of the VIN.

That's it... so far. Now time to figure out if Timms of Augusta can get me in this week to mount an American Elite (and maybe get the clutch recall work done?).
UPDATE: Timms HD called me today to let me know my rear tire is replaced and the recall work was completed. I asked how difficult it was dealing with First Extended and I received shocking news... "It was by far the easiest third-party I've dealt with, almost as simple as Harley's ESP." Wait... what??? I understand this is just for a tire, but damn that's shocking. The service guy told me it took about 10 minutes total call time and most of it was waiting for the First Extended person to type notes while eating his lunch, presumably (lol). First Extended only asked four simple questions about the bike: mileage on bike (18,832), tread depth (6/32), brand/model of tire (Dunlop American Elite), and what the issue is with the tire (nail puncture all the way through the tire).

All-in-all the invoice was a whopping $400: $300 for the tire, $50 installation, $50 for pickup/dropoff. Steep, but not my problem. That's about 1/3 of the cost I paid for the 7-year ESP w/tire & wheel coverage. Another 3 occurrences like this over the next 5 years and my ESP will have paid for itself.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Picked up a nail in my rear tire today... Maybe we can swap.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:54 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Picked up a nail in my rear tire today... Maybe we can swap.
Hmmm.... Interesting proposition!

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX