Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:42 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Glad to hear from you again! It's been a interesting journey thus far, and I appreciate your sharing. Looking forward to more, good or bad.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (12-26-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 11:34 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,005 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Apparently I have really been missing out on a fascinating thread.
Sarcasm is hard to sniff out online lol. But I wouldn’t go that far to say it’s fascinating... When I started this thread, the idea was that I’d just have this space to log any changes to the bike, etc. I didn’t really think anyone would read it or care about what the hell im doing. Apparently mundane things are interesting to people.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:29 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,192 Likes on 4,702 Posts

glad to hear you kept your bike despite whatever troubles you're facing and hope they are just temporary and things work out for you and your family..totally understand the 'gotta' do what ya' gotta' do' aspects of life..but I know I would have to hit rock bottom last resort to entertain quitting riding cuz for me since I was a kid it's always been

BrandonSmith (12-27-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 841 Posts

Hey Brandon, it's me, your Dad's friend from Toledo. (Tracy). If those street cannons are rattling around, they might be easy to repack like CVO mufflers. Pull the end cap and see if there are 2 spot welds holding in the baffle. If so, you can take a die grinder, grind the weld blobs off and slide out the baffles, they are wrapped with a heat resistance pad and wire tied together. They get blown out from use. You can leave the matt out and it will be somewhat louder. Hint: I used a broom stick shoved in the inlet and pounded the stick on the driveway, pushing the muffler out the outlet side.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:08 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
glad to hear you kept your bike despite whatever troubles you're facing and hope they are just temporary and things work out for you and your family..totally understand the 'gotta' do what ya' gotta' do' aspects of life..but I know I would have to hit rock bottom last resort to entertain quitting riding cuz for me since I was a kid it's always been

Thanks, MJ. It was tough to even consider selling. And it was a little more tempting to look at downsizing from the street glide.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Hey Brandon, it's me, your Dad's friend from Toledo. (Tracy). If those street cannons are rattling around, they might be easy to repack like CVO mufflers. Pull the end cap and see if there are 2 spot welds holding in the baffle. If so, you can take a die grinder, grind the weld blobs off and slide out the baffles, they are wrapped with a heat resistance pad and wire tied together. They get blown out from use. You can leave the matt out and it will be somewhat louder. Hint: I used a broom stick shoved in the inlet and pounded the stick on the driveway, pushing the muffler out the outlet side.
Thanks for the info, Tracy. The issue I have with the street cannons is that the baffle breaks loose and rattles around. When you break the welds to repack it, are you welding it back together? Or just leaving it loose?

Old 12-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 841 Posts

I have a wire feed welder. I add 2 spot welds in same spots.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:59 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Name that seat!! My cousin bought his bike with that seat on it and he has no idea what it is, but it’s comfy and the passenger part looks a bit comfier than my stock SG seat.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:39 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Magnut1
First of all, great bike and nice detailed thread to monitor progress, I wish I would have thought of this, I have done numerous upgrades over the past 2 years.

I noticed your license plate frame. I had a similar one, it was awfully ugly. I found the curved plate frame on the forums. Man what a difference. Check it out. I think it would clean up your back real nice for like $40. Keep up the good work.

Hey, man! I realized there was something missing from the rear of my bike... What curved mount do I need to get?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Well, my bike's in-service date is 1/26/17 which means it's about to be two years old, which means it's time for the bike's first brake and clutch fluid replacement. I'll be holding off on doing the clutch fluid since HD will be doing that during the recall work (I'm #342 on the list at Timms HD of Augusta and they've only been getting 2-3 kits per week, so... Next fall? lol)

I bought a large syringe from
Amazon Amazon
to reverse bleed the system, which I tend to find easier to complete without help, and I feel it yields better results, especially on a small system like a motorcycle. I chose the 150mL syringe since it holds more than the required amount of fluid for each brake line per the manual (3 fl.oz, 89mL), which is also the amount of fluid the reservoirs hold.

Plan of attack: Suck all fluid from reservoir, shoot it in an empty bottle, suck in ~3.5 fl.oz. of new fluid, shoot it into the caliper, rinse and repeat for each line.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 01-03-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX