Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I know right! I still can't look at his posts without picturing that's him! .

"None Taken"
Originally Posted by barneyboy
Drained my fluids while on jiffy stand at 1000 miles (factory fill, 2018 FLHXS). Measured what came out of each hole after 4 hour drain time.

Engine: 122 oz.
Oil filter: 6 oz.
Transmission: 28 oz.
Primary: 36 oz.!!!

Refill,
Engine: 1 gal.
Transmission: 28 oz.
Primary: 30 oz.

Both sticks are midway between full and add (cold check). Primary is spot on by the book. I'll be keeping a close eye on the transmission level.

I thought you mentioned a while back that you refilled the engine with 1 gal. How much are you putting in the transmission and primary?

P.S. Filter funnel works great. Used an awl to punch holes at 12 and 6 o'clock. A couple drops got past it, but were absorbed by paper toweling placed beneath beforehand.
Wow, your factory-filled primary had a few extra ounces! Maybe there was a little transfer at the factory?? Lol

This time I drained everything while upright on the jack. I think I’ll refrain from doing that in the future, especially when removing the oil filter. On the jack, the filter being horizontal is calling for a mess when removing. The last time, I removed the oil filter while on the jiffy stand and didn’t get a drop passed the filter funnel. Also, I just use the oil filter wrench to unscrew/drain the filter after all the engine oil is done draining from the drain hole.

My drained amounts are just about the same as yours:
Engine: 1 gal. (128 oz.)
Transmission: 24 oz.
Primary: 34 oz. (but transfer doesn’t happen :eyeroll: ).

I do everything by the book to the T, so my fill up looks like this:
Engine: started with 4 qts.
Transmission: 28 oz. (put it right between A and F, in the middle of the X, I’ll leave it)
Primary: 30 oz. (and it put it right to the bottom O.D. of the pressure plate)

At this point, the bike was ready to ride, so I rode it round my 30 minute country loop and got it good and hot. Engine oil was a little over halfway, so I added the 6 oz. I had leftover from the transmission and primary quarts - put it one bubble under full, right where I like it. Weird thing about this though... no matter whether it’s checked ambient (90°F) or at full hot, it always reads the same. This is a first for me, not sure what to think of it since it isn’t going all the way to the Full mark in either case.

The following users liked this post:
havinabubble (02-22-2021)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,763 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith

Wow, your factory-filled primary had a few extra ounces! Maybe there was a little transfer at the factory?? Lol

This time I drained everything while upright on the jack. I think I’ll refrain from doing that in the future, especially when removing the oil filter. On the jack, the filter being horizontal is calling for a mess when removing. The last time, I removed the oil filter while on the jiffy stand and didn’t get a drop passed the filter funnel. Also, I just use the oil filter wrench to unscrew/drain the filter after all the engine oil is done draining from the drain hole.

Transmission: 28 oz. (put it right between A and F, in the middle of the X, I’ll leave it)

At this point, the bike was ready to ride, so I rode it round my 30 minute country loop and got it good and hot. Engine oil was a little over halfway, so I added the 6 oz. I had leftover from the transmission and primary quarts - put it one bubble under full, right where I like it. Weird thing about this though... no matter whether it’s checked ambient (90°F) or at full hot, it always reads the same. This is a first for me, not sure what to think of it since it isn’t going all the way to the Full mark in either case.
Thanks. I checked both sticks the day after I brought it home from the dealer's showroom (75 miles). Engine oil was 3 dots above midway (cold). Transmission was at the full mark. The morning of the 1000 mile change, engine oil was 2 dots above midway. Transmission was at the middle of the X.

I'm not sure how many ounces equal an eighth of an inch on the stick, but some transmission fluid went somewhere. As mentioned, I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

As to the primary, I don't know how much was put in at the factory. If the transmission level drops, I'll drain and measure the primary fluid. At least I know it was filled with 30 ounces to begin with.

Last edited by barneyboy; 06-14-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

WAIT I FOUND BRANDON AND HIS BIKE!

The following 2 users liked this post by 103Eagle:
BrandonSmith (06-14-2018), mjwebb (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,309 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
WAIT I FOUND BRANDON AND HIS BIKE!

BrandonSmith (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Y'all are funny ain't ya??

mjwebb (06-14-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Cal3600
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to thank ya for this thread. I've got a 2018 RK and I've scooped a lot of ideas from here that have saved me lots of time and money. The sun pie lights (both main and passing) are assumed to be daymakers by anyone that's seen them. Im also dealing with horrible buffeting but just popped on a 20" LRS that helped alot, about to do fangs next. I'm a DIY'r so the info on service/tools etc is all useful. This board and this thread have been hugely helpful to me getting back up to speed after being without a bike for sometime. Thanks again from another DFW area rider.

BrandonSmith (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Thank you! That was my hope when creating this thread - to be a journal for me and a reference for others.

Be be careful cleaning the Sunpies, the lenses are plastic and scratch very easily. I’ve got swirl marks with a wet rag.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:55 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Well, it's been a while, folks! Not much has changed, though my riding has tapered off due to some familial health issues. I just wanted to chime back in that I was considering selling my bike this week. I went over to Longhorn HD and told them I want to sell the bike outright and they admittedly don't buy bikes, so the sales manager offered me $12,500 for the bike... HA! Then the salesman was really fishing for details and I wasn't budging (personal stuff that I don't need some salesman using because he thinks I'm in a pinch). They got me up to $16,000 for a trade-in because they're offering "full retail" on trades to any 2019 model. No thanks, I'm not looking for anything different, though it was enticing, especially with the equity built up!

All-in-all, I kept the bike and just ponied up the $1348 for 5 more years of warranty coverage and $1 for the optional wheel and tire coverage (Boardtracker/DiscountESP - holiday promotion code: addtw for the 'free' tire and wheel package). And during checkout I saw that the factory warranty must have at least 30-days remaining... Mine expires on 1/25! 31 days to expiration. Glad I decided to look into this today...

One of the items not covered is mufflers, which kinda pisses me off since the Street Cannons have caused me issues with rattling and I'm sure they will again.

mjwebb (12-26-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 06:42 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Fluids

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith

half way is perfect to eliminate blow by on the air filter and I always use anti shock lubricant in my transmission never engine oil

Old 12-25-2018, 07:22 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Apparently I have really been missing out on a fascinating thread.

BrandonSmith (12-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX