Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Yuuup!!! There’s about 6 other dealers I can go to here in the Dallas area... and I think I will. Just got a call from the service guy that said the technician told him the transmission is overfilled right now. He asked how I check the level, I said, “Per the manual, level ground, on the jiffy stand, cold.”

Apparently that’s wrong too (which it isn’t! Read the f-in manual!!). Guy said, “the tech put it upright and it was overfilled.” First, you don’t check it upright if you’re going with the manual, second, he checked it while it was hot!
Sounds like you need a new dealer, and a conversation with customer service in Milwaukee. Contrary to popular opinion, (reasonable, rational) complaints to Milwaukee get their attention.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Yuuup!!! There’s about 6 other dealers I can go to here in the Dallas area... and I think I will. Just got a call from the service guy that said the technician told him the transmission is overfilled right now. He asked how I check the level, I said, “Per the manual, level ground, on the jiffy stand, cold.”

Apparently that’s wrong too (which it isn’t! Read the f-in manual!!). Guy said, “the tech put it upright and it was overfilled.” First, you don’t check it upright if you’re going with the manual, second, he checked it while it was hot!
Have you noticed that when you take your bike in for service that you seldom (if ever) get to talk to the guy who actually works on the bike? Instead, all the information about the bike is relayed to you by some non mechanical type who gets paid on commission. These service writers don't have much, if any mechanical background and put out a lot of misinformation. Some don't even ride. The whole system is geared towards the shop instead of the customer. I suppose there are exceptions somewhere but I have never seen much of it in the last ten years since they started building these boutique Harley stores. The business plan seems to be the same at all dealers. Some of the dealers in the Metroplex still charge around $99.00 per hour for labor but many have risen to $125.00 per hour. That alone should make us shop around for service. The average hourly rate for independent shops is around $85.00 in North Texas.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:56 PM
DON7245
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To install the TollTag, I removed the outer fairing by removing the (3) T27 bolts that hold the windshield on, and the (4) T27 bolts on the inner fairing. Fairing-mounted wind deflectors can remain in place - no need to remove.

I placed the TollTag at the top of the fairing in the center, just below the fairing vent. I wanted to keep the tag as far away from the speakers as possible, just in case of any magnetic interference.

Does this Toll sticker actually work when installed to the plastic faring? We have SunPass in Florida (same concept) but the sticker says it has to install on windshield because it uses it for the antenna signal..Right now I have a portable transponder in my saddlebag, but if this will work I have an extra sticker I bought for this that I will use ..just wondering. I have read that they wont work so I never did it.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Peej
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don7245, in FL you only need a transponder associated with the tag. Since most of the transponders are iffy on the bikes, they will go with your tag and charge your account. So I leave the transponder in the cage and let the camera pick up the plate with no issues.

Brandon, its amazing how some people treat their customers. What a poor business model to insult the customer. I bought two bikes over the phone from an out-of-town dealer after my local blew me off. They have no clue.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by DON7245
Does this Toll sticker actually work when installed to the plastic faring? We have SunPass in Florida (same concept) but the sticker says it has to install on windshield because it uses it for the antenna signal..Right now I have a portable transponder in my saddlebag, but if this will work I have an extra sticker I bought for this that I will use ..just wondering. I have read that they wont work so I never did it.
Yes, the sticker works well. Radio/NFC transmissions through plastic degrade much less than through glass. On the way to Sturgis I was the fifth bike in line passing through the only toll booth we had to completely stop at and the toll attendant asked each of the four bikes in front of me if they had a TollTag (none did - it was picking up mine).

It’s never been missed at any toll booth. Here in DFW, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. Also, like mentioned above, it will read your license plate if it misses the TollTag, and will use your account the same as if it read the TollTag.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Sounds like you need a new dealer, and a conversation with customer service in Milwaukee. Contrary to popular opinion, (reasonable, rational) complaints to Milwaukee get their attention.
It's been pouring down rain here yesterday and today, so I haven’t picked the bike back up, but once I do, it’s going directly to Maverick HD 10 minutes south of American Eagle - already spoke with them, and set up an appointment. This isn’t the first time they’ve had people do this.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:12 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
Have you noticed that when you take your bike in for service that you seldom (if ever) get to talk to the guy who actually works on the bike? Instead, all the information about the bike is relayed to you by some non mechanical type who gets paid on commission. These service writers don't have much, if any mechanical background and put out a lot of misinformation. Some don't even ride. The whole system is geared towards the shop instead of the customer. I suppose there are exceptions somewhere but I have never seen much of it in the last ten years since they started building these boutique Harley stores. The business plan seems to be the same at all dealers. Some of the dealers in the Metroplex still charge around $99.00 per hour for labor but many have risen to $125.00 per hour. That alone should make us shop around for service. The average hourly rate for independent shops is around $85.00 in North Texas.
Maverick HD is an older dealer, no big flashy building, smaller inventory - and I’ve spoken to them about this and they’d be glad to assist. Taking the bike there straight from American Eagle.

The following users liked this post:
Clay Rocker (05-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Hey, maybe I should be grateful they at least replaced the broken Street Cannon without requiring my receipts and maintenance log!!!

Clay Rocker (05-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey, maybe I should be grateful they at least replaced the broken Street Cannon without requiring my receipts and maintenance log!!!
So what do they think about your muff? A broken baffle inside was rattling around?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:49 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Yes, it was a broken baffle. When I heard the rattle a couple weeks ago, I thought it was just loose. I tightened everything up and still rattled. I remove the muffler completely and shook it: sounded like the rocks rattling around in the service writer’s head. I tightened every back up, and made my call to AE HD.

I got the, “well that isn’t covered under warranty without the original receipt.” Well, I bought the bike with them already installed and I bought it used with 800 miles on, I don’t have the receipt. So, I had to tell HD myself that the stage 1 was installed before the bike left the dealership and it’s included on the dealer report in the HD system, attached to the VIN. Then, he goes on to tell me I’ll have to talk to Parts and Accessories because it’s not original to the bike, it’s P&A. WELL GUESS WHAT, JACKASS, READ THE WARRANTY INFORMATION YOU’RE ALREADY SUPPOSED TO KNOW: “Any parts and accessories installed on the vehicle prior to purchase are included in the vehicle’s manufacturer’s warranty.”

I ended up talking to the P&A guy anyway because the Service guy was an idiot. P&A got everything straight for me. Oh, when I got the call back from the Service guy later that day asking about the problem with the muffler, he had to treat me stupid again by telling me, “Well, if it turns out to be a loose bracket, that’s not covered under warranty, and you’ll be charged.” MOTHER-F-ER I’M NOT SOME DUMBASS...

This place is a joke.

Clay Rocker (05-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX