Sponsored by:

Post your Helmet(s) with your M8

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:09 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
No worries. Forums are meant for people to share facts and opinions. My opinion is that a helmet is meant for protection, not looking cool. Or only to meet a helmet law requirement. That's all I was trying to convey in a humorous way. If someone else sharing their opinion bothers you, then this forum is definitely not for you.
No that's not it. I run a martial arts forum and I know what their purpose is and they're a phenomenal resource. I appreciate your opinions as much as I appreciate everyone's here, and you should share away. I'm relatively new on this forum, but have gleaned a ton of info, so I get it. I just felt you came down negatively on the information I posted in response to the OP's question, as though I was giving an opinion about 1/2 or 3/4 helmets, when it was just resource info and my thoughts on the quality of the product being discussed. No worries.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

I've been riding 48 years now, and long ago gave up trying for "a look or to be cool". To that end, I want my helmet to be:

* Best protection
* Visible to cagers
* Quiet
* Comfortable all day
* Waterproof and warm in cold temps
* Preferably with an integrated sun shield (but not a dealbreaker)

My current Harley ride:

My current primary helmet is a Shoei Neotec Hi Viz (Imminent). This is my second Neotec, its just about the perfect touring helmet. On my BMW, I use an Arai most the time.

Doesn't exactly color-match, does it? With all the distracted driver's on the road these days, especially the ones using their smart phones, I use all the tools at my disposal to catch their eye. Black helmets, dark grey ones - have no visibility.

I frequently will do 10 + hour days on my bikes, so the helmet has to fit right, and have the right design. There are helmets meant for upright touring bikes and different ones for sport bikes with no windsheild/fairing. Pick the wrong one and you will get turbulence and wind noise.

Last edited by drcollie; 03-31-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:44 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I've been riding 48 years now, and long ago gave up trying for "a look or to be cool". To that end, I want my helmet to be:

* Best protection
* Visible to cagers
* Quiet
* Comfortable all day
* Waterproof and warm in cold temps
* Preferably with an integrated sun shield (but not a dealbreaker)

My current Harley ride:

My current primary helmet is a Shoei Neotec Hi Viz (Imminent). This is my second Neotec, its just about the perfect touring helmet. On my BMW, I use an Arai most the time.

Doesn't exactly color-match, does it? With all the distracted driver's on the road these days, especially the ones using their smart phones, I use all the tools at my disposal to catch their eye. Black helmets, dark grey ones - have no visibility.

I frequently will do 10 + hour days on my bikes, so the helmet has to fit right, and have the right design. There are helmets meant for upright touring bikes and different ones for sport bikes with no windsheild/fairing. Pick the wrong one and you will get turbulence and wind noise.
That has to be the cleanest shop I've ever seen. Looks like a nice set up to do all sorts of mods to your scoots if you wanted to.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:59 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 663 Posts

Excellent choice drcollie.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
That has to be the cleanest shop I've ever seen. Looks like a nice set up to do all sorts of mods to your scoots if you wanted to.
Thanks! A very long time ago, I used to be a professional motorcycle mechanic and learned the value of a squared-away shop area. I could work faster and turn more jobs than my fellow mechanics who were untidy and never could find the tool or part they needed. It was a lot of work to fix up the garage, I used 18 gallons of paint alone...here's a better photo.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:11 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

That is my dream garage, lol. I have a three bay garage but I don't have a shed so my riding lawn mower, snowblower, truck and car all go in the garage. Looking at building a shed this summer, then I can start to organize my shop better.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 663 Posts

I WILL build a garage like that when the military is done with me and we build our dream home in UT.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

I just ordered my very 1st full face. don't even have it yet and I already have buyers remorse. This morning it hit me that I wont have wind on my face anymore, Major Bummer! May just send it back.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,153 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
I just ordered my very 1st full face. don't even have it yet and I already have buyers remorse. This morning it hit me that I wont have wind on my face anymore, Major Bummer! May just send it back.
Just raise the shield...

Old 04-02-2017, 11:29 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Just raise the shield...
Maybe there is hope, Lol

Quick Reply: Post your Helmet(s) with your M8