Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your Helmet(s) with your M8

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 04:21 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 663 Posts

I just left Cycle Gear in Raleigh, NC where I tried on several Arai helmets out of curiosity. Talk about underwhelmed... None of them fit me at all and they all felt cheap and fragile. The detents on the face shield were really weak and the chin/mouth/nose area felt very crowded. The ventilation systems all seemed like an afterthought during design. The liners were scratchy and seemed like they were made with low quality material. This is the first time I've tried on anything Arai makes and I left wondering what all the hype is about. I understand that they're more focused on maintaining Snell rating than developing helmets with convenience features, but for the touring rider like me there are much better options that cost the same or less.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I just left Cycle Gear in Raleigh, NC where I tried on several Arai helmets out of curiosity. Talk about underwhelmed... None of them fit me at all and they all felt cheap and fragile. The detents on the face shield were really weak and the chin/mouth/nose area felt very crowded. The ventilation systems all seemed like an afterthought during design. The liners were scratchy and seemed like they were made with low quality material. This is the first time I've tried on anything Arai makes and I left wondering what all the hype is about. I understand that they're more focused on maintaining Snell rating than developing helmets with convenience features, but for the touring rider like me there are much better options that cost the same or less.
Arai are track helmets. Doesn't matter what there marketing dept says. Some of there lids are feather light, offer some of the best over all protection you can by. And you will never find one that has interior wear comfort on a bare head or durag'ed head. They are meant to be worn with a full head sock. And sized like that. The last helmet I used for auto cross and track days in my Mazda3 was a Arai. After my last / 3rd abdominal hernia surgery, 2nd with a door mat put in my belly I can no longer enjoy SCCA events.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:00 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by FunnelCake Combo
Looks are at the top because I'm looking for something that looks good.

Of course DOT + is a requirement as well as fit.. but Fit I will have to determine on my own.. no need to ask someone how something fits on them.

My Plan is to find a bunch of helmets I like and then order them from a site or two that allows returns.. I will probably order 5 or 6 helmets and keep the 2 that fit best ... I will judge certain things such as wait before even placing the order.

Local Harley dealer only has like 8 or 9 helmets in stock and most were far too big.. so going the online route.. just want to see what people were wearing.

Wish there was somewhere I could drive to to try on a bunch of different helmets.. but no such luck around me.. possibly Jacksonville , FL which is only 4 hour drive.. I could take a weekend trip there if I knew there were some places that had a good selection.

Anyways thanks to the few pic post so far..

Looking forward to more
Try searching for: Shark Evoline 3
I've been wearing them since they first came ou

Old 03-12-2017, 02:34 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
Arai are track helmets. Doesn't matter what there marketing dept says. Some of there lids are feather light, offer some of the best over all protection you can by. And you will never find one that has interior wear comfort on a bare head or durag'ed head. They are meant to be worn with a full head sock. And sized like that. The last helmet I used for auto cross and track days in my Mazda3 was a Arai. After my last / 3rd abdominal hernia surgery, 2nd with a door mat put in my belly I can no longer enjoy SCCA events.
I can definitely see that. They don't seem like they would be very good for long miles on a touring bike. But come to think of it, I only really hear the sport bike guys talk about Arai. Either way, my first impressions are they're overpriced junk. But that's comparing them to the fit, function, and features of my Shoei.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:55 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
While Arai does make automobile specific helmets, they do have a motorcycle line of helmets.
These are way more comfortable then the auto helmets. But everyone's head/wallet is different, so you can always go with a cheaper brand.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by YPD485
While Arai does make automobile specific helmets, they do have a motorcycle line of helmets.
These are way more comfortable then the auto helmets. But everyone's head/wallet is different, so you can always go with a cheaper brand.
Which ones are non-auto helmets. I tried on about 4 different ones at Cycle Gear and that's all motorcycle stuff. Just curious.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:36 PM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 132 Posts

Schuberth M1

Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

I wasn't aware that riding an M8 required a special helmet.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a bunch of helmets from my sport bike days. Arai, Shoei, etc.. but for my cruisers I use Biltwell Gringo S and the Bell Bullit.. I will say this, they are much more comfortable than any of my sport bike helmets, and they look/feel better quality. The interior is also hand stitched in diamond pattern using top grade suede like material. I definitely recommend checking them out. Revzilla.com has them and they have a great no questions asked return policy. I bought both to see which one I preferred but kept them both.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...FZaPswodS7oNnQ

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...FZdKDQodvOoKxg

Last edited by Drodrigueznyc; 03-13-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 AM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I wasn't aware that riding an M8 required a special helmet.

Pretty sure there was no mention of that..

Just a thread request to post pics of you wearing your helmet or if you prefer not to just post it with your Bike.. This being an M8 sub forum naturally that makes sense..

Quick Reply: Post your Helmet(s) with your M8