Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does street tuner have autotune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts
Default Does street tuner have autotune?

Does the street tuner have auto tune? I'm on the fence big time about these tuners. When 2 different service managers tell you they wouldn't waste their money on one that really confuses me! These service guys are pushing the TTS tuner hard for the M8 and I trust they will cover me if anything goes wrong but someone made a point on a previous post about being away from "my" dealer if something goes wrong. I have less than zero intentions of going into the motor for upgrades, will not dot it. I have RC slip ons now and want to put a ventilator or arlen ness inverted filter on, nothing more. If all the street tuner will do is put a base map that may not even be for what I have installed, I just cannot see wasting $300 on that tuner.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

it does have a feature called "smart Tune", their form of auto Tune.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

So does it create a map based on my riding and equipment installed like a FP3 or similar tuner?

Old 03-08-2017, 04:57 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Yes, I copied this from SEPST training.

Use the Smart tune feature when you have made any changes to your motorcycle that affect the air flow through the engine or improve performance, such as:
•New exhaust pipes
•New air cleaner
•New throttle body
•New camshafts
•New heads

•Select Yes if you would like Street Tuner software to Automatically apply the recommended VE changes from your recordings to your calibration.
•Select No if you would like to review the recommend VE changes and customize the setting yourself.
•It is recommended selecting yes then select continue.
•Follow the prompts on the screen.
•When Street Tuner has finished automatically adjusting the cells you will see the suggested changes in the table.
•Only some of the cells will contain updated values.
•To increase the number of cells that receive updated values, record more data at all different engine speeds and throttle positions.
•VE values are considered tuned when the VE values being suggested are within 5% of the value of the calibration from which the Smart Tune data was collected

Last edited by sixguns; 03-08-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,261 Likes on 4,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
So does it create a map based on my riding and equipment installed like a FP3 or similar tuner?
I don't own one, but have read a lot about them. As I understand, it will adjust the VE tables, but it must keep the tune EPA compliant. They will not significantly adjust AFR or timing tables. That's probably why the service managers say they are a waste of money.......

In my opinion, the only reason to buy one, is to maintain your factory warranty, until it is expired... Then you get to buy a better tuner/tune/dyno tune....

When I get my M8 next year, I plan on getting the stage II & tuner at the time of delivery to get it covered under the factory warranty... but when the warranty is close to being expired.... I'll use my powerVision to give it a proper tune....

Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm in the same boat, I won't mess with any aftermarket tuners or stage kits until my warranty runs out. Once the warranty is close to expiring I will do a good stage kit from Fuel Moto or TTS and have a good tune done as well.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I also agree. At this present time, and only to maintain warranty, especially for a new engine/first year bike, I only do as recommended by the HD guys who will service my bike for the next couple of years. Not worth the risk of voiding warranty. Things could be very expensive if something breaks. I did, however do a full exhaust and stage 2 cam upgrade, all by them, and covered under warranty. One thing I noticed, just from my experience, that they are more concerned about what tuner you use. If it's not the HD/SE tuner, and you happen to have engine problems later, you might have a warranty issue. That's what I've been told, and honestly when the time comes I really don't want to get into a legal battle with them while my bike sits there forever on the lift. These are the things you need to look into. After warranty, all bets are off... and then, if I really need to tweak the engine some more I might go back to a V&H FP3 tuner.

Last edited by Drodrigueznyc; 03-09-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 PM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the FP3 on my 14 Limited and had the dealer install the Street tuner on my 17 Limited. I don't require a lot from the tuner as I typically run a Stage I setup.
After I got the FP3 I ran the auto-time and the bike ran great. I them wanted to adjust then speedometer so it gave and accurate reading and change the throttle progresivity. These adjust were very simple and completed in a few minutes.
I bought the Street tuner because of warranty concerns, I have read several threads where they had no problems. Also I know that a lot of dealers sell both. Who really knows how an FP3 will effect the warranty. I had the Smart Tune done on my bike at a cost of around $50. The tuning software will be available to you with the Street Tuner. Herein lies the problem, you will need to familiarize yourself with the software just to know what it does. To me it is not worth the effort, I'll just let the dealer do it. Having said how much more complicated the Street Tuner is to use, my bike runs great.
Bottom line a the FP3 is much easier for a laymen to use, but the Street Tuner seems to do what is needed, but you will need to learn the software or pay the dealer for adjustments.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

I did a lot of research on the Street Tuner. There is a guy on this forum who had one for his Twin Cam. He spent a lot of time fooling around with it and doing smart tunes and looking at the data files. His conclusion was that the ECM eventually changed the values back to close to what the base map was and that using the smart tune feature was ultimately a waste of time. I have no idea if this correct. Just pointing out one persons experience. Maybe others know more about it.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:35 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,261 Likes on 4,436 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
I did a lot of research on the Street Tuner. There is a guy on this forum who had one for his Twin Cam. He spent a lot of time fooling around with it and doing smart tunes and looking at the data files. His conclusion was that the ECM eventually changed the values back to close to what the base map was and that using the smart tune feature was ultimately a waste of time. I have no idea if this correct. Just pointing out one persons experience. Maybe others know more about it.
I wouldn't be surprised.... Remember, the Street Tuner was born out of the agreement between the EPA & MoCo. The Street Tuner was approved by EPA for tunes on the the various new M8 stage kits. It makes sense that it does not tune for what runs best, but rather what will keep the tune within EPA guidelines...

What the Street Tuner Auto Tune does best (only?) is dial in the VE tables. Two bikes with the same engines & engine components will have different volumetric efficiency. It's usually not a big difference, but is caused by little tings like casting imperfections, bulging gaskets, and other air way differences between the two. Dialing in the VE tables, is never a bad thing, and will make the tune (AFR tables) more accurate.. But I've read it will allow only a small change to AFR and I don't remember reading if it will even allow for the timing to be changed at all....

I read that it will only change the AFR like 3-5% or something minimal like that. When auto tuning with my PV, they say if you get down to 4% difference, you're done tuning.....

If someone can confirm or correct my understanding of this tuner, I'm all ears...!

I'm new to this computer EFI tuning stuff and am working hard to learn & understand it all....

Quick Reply: Does street tuner have autotune?