Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The rumor of a new frame ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017 | 07:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Harley needs to keep moving. No one is happy with anything anymore . You keep moving or you are gone.

Old 03-05-2017 | 08:17 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
The problem with aluminum as a structural material is that ALL stress is cumulative in aluminum, unlike steel. In an aluminum structure, any stress, no matter how small will contribute to eventual failure.

Think about that next time you get on a commercial airliner.
Actually, considering how many stresses there are on a modern airliner each and every time it takes off or lands (or encounters turbulence for that matter), and how many times it does that over years and years of profitable service --- it's a pretty darned good argument for the overall value of structural aluminum.

Sure, they go thru a lot of maintenance checks but still - great argument for aluminum frames.

:-) I'll probably still prefer steel motorcycle frames though

Old 03-05-2017 | 08:32 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by YPD485
You would think an aluminum frame would save weight but often since they need to make the aluminum strong enough for a motorcycle, it winds up weighing just about as much as the steel frame. Ask Honda about that when they went to an aluminum frame on the 2001 Goldwing 1800. Didn't really lose any weight when compared to the prior steel frame Goldwing 1500. And to this day, they are still having problems with the aluminum frame cracking.
I owned a Goldwing 1500. that's damn near a 950 lb bike. the 1800's were in the 780 pound range. I am not sure where you got that information from about the weight, but its a VERY big difference in weight. also the frame cracking was only for the 2001 through 2002 and it was only like 1 or 2% of the models made that year. of course its a VERY bad situation on the frame cracking, but that's seriously overstated.

Old 03-05-2017 | 09:31 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
The problem with aluminum as a structural material is that ALL stress is cumulative in aluminum, unlike steel. In an aluminum structure, any stress, no matter how small will contribute to eventual failure.

Think about that next time you get on a commercial airliner.
Where did you get this from? It might be an issue with the wrong alloy of aluminum but I don't see it.

Old 03-05-2017 | 10:02 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

The frame members on a heavy touring bike, if made of aluminum would have to be at least twice the diameter. Ever seen an aluminum bicycle frame compared to a steel one, Such as the Cannonade bikes of the late 80s and 90s? . So, to avoid the huge weird looking frames you get the expensive exotics of carbon fiber and titanium.

Old 03-05-2017 | 10:15 PM
roadrash3
Road Master

This is why I bought a first year M8 and didn't wait for next year. Last year there was talk about the new frame in 2018. Just like the victorys and Indians, same frame across the board. Harley does not do this for improvement. it is a cost savings for them. I am glad I didn't wait, regardless what BS they try and use to sell it.

Old 03-05-2017 | 10:39 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The frame members on a heavy touring bike, if made of aluminum would have to be at least twice the diameter. Ever seen an aluminum bicycle frame compared to a steel one, Such as the Cannonade bikes of the late 80s and 90s? . So, to avoid the huge weird looking frames you get the expensive exotics of carbon fiber and titanium.

It's probably not a good analogy. You are comparing aluminum to chromalloy as far as sizing on tubes for a bicycle. HD frames are likely 1018 steel or maybe a little higher carbon content. Also there are advantages to using thinner big diameter tubes when looking at over all strength.. That can have disadvantages when dealing with a frame that has high weight. Tunes can crush.

I'm not a fan of aluminum frames on HDs tho.. The whole bike needs to go on a diet. But then.. It wouldn't be a Harley..

An 03 FLHR SM lists at 723 lbs dry. Add say 30 lbs for fluids so say it's 753. The SM lists the running weight for a 17 M8 FLHR at 826.. Do you think HD is going to drop that bike 73 lbs going to an aluminum frame ??

Old 03-05-2017 | 11:06 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

H-D did report that they are working on a "unified frame" with no detail on what models/families involved.

Since they also said the Lowrider S and V rod are out for 18 maybe they are the going to have a unified frame and maybe engine. Maybe all but the touring. No one knows. I will just wait for the 18 models. H-D has also stated that there will be 10 new models each year for five years.

To many changes for me. Going through my different bikes now I need to remember how to activate the hazards, cruise control location and where even to start the bike. The 16 RG CVO and the 16.5 Lowrider S are started and turned off different than other H-Ds. It may be time for me to give up.

Old 03-06-2017 | 01:16 AM
georgewerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

Cannondale bikes (I have two) are oversized so they can make the frame thinner and reduce the weight even more and increases stiffness. I also have a Raleigh tri light (also aluminum) that has normal size frame tubes.

Old 03-06-2017 | 06:01 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jclax01
I owned a Goldwing 1500. that's damn near a 950 lb bike. the 1800's were in the 780 pound range. I am not sure where you got that information from about the weight, but its a VERY big difference in weight. also the frame cracking was only for the 2001 through 2002 and it was only like 1 or 2% of the models made that year. of course its a VERY bad situation on the frame cracking, but that's seriously overstated.
I have a 2012 Gl1800, rode it a couple years 2 wheels. It isn't much if any heavier than my 06 Ultra Classic, it is however balanced remarkably well. Those older GL1500's were one heavy sob.

Quick Reply: The rumor of a new frame ?