Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley.. ROAD KING SPECIAL

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017 | 03:52 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Great looking bike congrats! I love the rims, bags and handlebar.

The following users liked this post:
FunnelCake Combo (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017 | 04:43 PM
FunnelCake Combo
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by YammyDrummer
Read in another thread that the RK Special rides lighter/more nimble than the standard RK. What are your thoughts on this? Or did you test ride a standard RK for comparison? Would like to hear your thoughts on this Special's performance either way.

I did not test ride one for comparison as the only other road king they had in stock was a stage 2 2016.. such a different bike it made no sense to give it a run.

The only think remotely comparable yet still different was a 17 Street Glide Special I rented for 3 days a few weeks before purchasing the RKS.

I have nothing bad to say about the SGS.. LOVED IT.. However It is more nimble to me than the Street Glide I think mostly due to no fairing.. For a heavy bike I feel it rides fairly light and handles great..

Although I can def fee the weight when staying up right at traffic on stop signs and traffic lights.

I have taken around the few corner / curves in my area and can say this bagger handles like a dream. no complaints from the wife either on the suspension.

The main thing I am considering is either different bars or if I can rotate the handle bars back towards me some... I feel like they are a little too far forward for long riding comfort.

New to Harley and baggers.. so if anyone can tell me if this can be done on the bars that would be great.

I have to say I am a Fan... This bike keeps me smiling and seems to get better every ride... The Rinehart exhaust is slowly breaking in as well.

gonna do some cosmetic mods slowly as I don't like to mod everything at once. only other plan for performance is a Highflow A/C and a tune.. however all the negatives I read on the Harley Tuner I will prob just hold out a little longer to see what others are doing and if I am willing to say F it and just pull the trigger on TTS of FP3 tuner instead.

Throttle control is great .. love the torque and the clutch took about a day to get use to..

Does anyone have any opinions on the Chopped Engine guard?? love that look and thinking about making the change when I take my bike in to get the led turn signals put on to go with the daymaker

enough out of me... Time to go put in about an hour of riding

Old 03-15-2017 | 04:46 PM
FunnelCake Combo
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD_fan

Great looking bike congrats! I love the rims, bags and handlebar.

Thanks HD fan... I love it all too.. Love the look of the bars but either want them to rotate back towards me a little bit or consider a different bar for long term trips.. however I will say they do look pretty bad ***

Old 03-15-2017 | 04:54 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FunnelCake Combo
Thanks HD fan... I love it all too.. Love the look of the bars but either want them to rotate back towards me a little bit or consider a different bar for long term trips.. however I will say they do look pretty bad ***
For handlebars I would definitely recommend Bagger Nation Bars from Paul Yaffe or handlebars and crash guards from Factory 47. The Malo or the MadDogger Bars are really bad-*** on a Road King Special and they have sick crash bars for the engine and saddle bags. You will pay a bit more for the Factory 47 items but they are IMHO ahead of the competition in looks and quality. If you can hold off they do a sale in November for Thanksgiving. It's the only time of the year they offer any discounts that I know of and they normally give around 20% off for the one day only. Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2017 | 05:20 PM
bradn
Road Master

Hmmmm. No 90 day discount after new bike purchase... That sucks. My dealer gives 15% for 90 days. As a result, I did a stage II, detachable kit for my tour-pac, detachable sissy bar, new rain suit, boots, gloves, chrome controls and covers, chrome fork lowers.There is probably more. My point is, that 90 day discount was a major motivator for me to spend additional monies that I may not have otherwise spent - at least with the dealership.

IMO, you dealer is losing out on a lot of potential aftermarket sales.

Old 03-15-2017 | 05:24 PM
FunnelCake Combo
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by bradn
Hmmmm. No 90 day discount after new bike purchase... That sucks. My dealer gives 15% for 90 days. As a result, I did a stage II, detachable kit for my tour-pac, detachable sissy bar, new rain suit, boots, gloves, chrome controls and covers, chrome fork lowers.There is probably more. My point is, that 90 day discount was a major motivator for me to spend additional monies that I may not have otherwise spent - at least with the dealership.

IMO, you dealer is losing out on a lot of potential aftermarket sales.

correct.. I will probably do most of my purchases through boardtracker... best deals I have found so far..

They will catch on once they see I have spent some Coin with them.. I will be sure to let them know too.

Old 03-15-2017 | 06:40 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by YammyDrummer
Read in another thread that the RK Special rides lighter/more nimble than the standard RK. What are your thoughts on this? Or did you test ride a standard RK for comparison? Would like to hear your thoughts on this Special's performance either way.
The narrow front tire will help with turn in just a tad and give the front a slightly lighter rotational feel. Lower sidewall of the tire will work the forks a tad harder. Cool factor through the roof if it's good for you.

Old 04-02-2017 | 09:33 AM
FunnelCake Combo
|
Tourer
Old 04-02-2017 | 09:34 AM
FunnelCake Combo
|
Tourer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Snapped a couple shots of my two favorite toys yesterday..

2015 BMW M4 Yas Marina Blue and
2017 Harley Road King Special Charcoal Denim

The following users liked this post:
Doshounds (04-04-2017)