Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need someone to talk me off a stage 2 ledge!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default need someone to talk me off a stage 2 ledge!

my 17 SGS is scheduled for a stage II torque cam upgrade next week and instead of feeling excited I'm feeling the opposite. I'm now starting to doubt my decision. It all stems from reading all of the horror stories from those who have used adjustable push rods. I hear they've been problematic because of the jam nuts. They either don't hold, they easily strip and come loose, or become brittle and crack from the constant heat. People reported hearing a loud ticking sound, immediate loss of power, and engines dying as they pulled over to stop. Can anyone tell me if these issues are a thing of the past? Are the new SE adjustable push rods for the m8 better quality today? Can I expect 50,000 miles on these things? how about 100k?

I know there are no guarantees but someone please tell me they've done this recently and have put in plenty of miles with no issues whatsoever. Also, are they easy to inspect? Do I need to make sure HD inspects them at every oil change? I have a few multi day trips planned for this year and the last thing I want is to breakdown on the side of the road in the middle of my trip.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

can't answer your specific questions but I resisted the urge to do anything for similar concerns..I've always dreamed of just leaving a Harley engine stock and this time aside from Street Canons that's what I am committed to. After a 17 year Twin Cam run they came out with the best Touring motor in their history. I'm sticking with if it ain't broke don't fix it rather than if it ain't broke work on it until it is. Even after doing various stage performance upgrades in the past and enjoying them I always thought next one I'm leaving alone. I like the idea of not introducing change and possibly compromising the benefits and advantages of stock from fuel economy to reliability, etc. I've even left the OEM intake alone cuz I like the better protection it provides. Bike runs so good and has all the power I need or want. Now if I rode Two Up with a 300lb Mother In Law or someone everywhere then it would be more of a need.

The following users liked this post:
Hogdoc45 (03-02-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but as far as potential problem areas, pushrods are pretty far down the list. I've heard of a lot more problems with lifters than pushrods.

My S&S adjustables have been perfect.

cmashark (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,800 Likes on 6,702 Posts

Go for stage III instead

Old 02-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,478 Likes on 5,666 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
can't answer your specific questions but I resisted the urge to do anything for similar concerns..I've always dreamed of just leaving a Harley engine stock and this time aside from Street Canons that's what I am committed to.
Same here. Short of fixing the "neutered sound" with a set of slip-ons, I'm not going to mess with the performance. It's fine, as is. IMHO. HD hit the ball outta the park on this one.

mjwebb (02-25-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 04:58 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Do your stage 1 and ride. Unless you weight 300 pounds and need more power the bike is fine as is. The stage1 is just a sound a feel thing really.
If the bike does not serve you well you can always do the upgrade latter.
As for adjustable , this part that part. The world is full of aftermarket suppliers each will find some way to get their internet spin out their. Heck if you listen to them the only hope your bike has is to tear it down right now and replace every single part. All BS.
No where you can't ride with it right off the show room. You are having doubts. for what ever reason. Give yourself credit for think it through.
Get out and ride always another day to jack with it. Saving some ideas for latter keeps the bike fresh in you heart. Doing it all at once you may get bored with it. Often the mod thing is just because we can anyway.

Last edited by smitty901; 02-26-2017 at 05:04 AM.
mjwebb (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:58 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

We cant help how our minds work. I have run solids in all my older bikes, have adjusted the valves many many times and never had a problem with the pushrods. But for some reason the Thought of adj pushrods in my new bike gives me the creeps. My stage three uses the stock push tubes and I like that.

MY issue is lack of Trust, I have always done my own work, this is the first bike I have ever let anyone work on. I met with the mechanic got to know him and my bike runs great and has zero issues. But ,in the back of my mind Im still waiting for it to blow up. My confidence is building as the miles roll by. Good Times.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Did stage 2 torque, the bike runs like a bear! It pulls everywhere! You can, (I didn't) use the stock pushrods, it's just more labor to keep them. The adjustable pushrods allow installation without removing the rocker boxes and rockers.
You will love the torque.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

A stage 1 upgrade will have next to zero effect on reliability. A stage 2 upgrade can. The weakest link in the Harley valve train is the lifters. Once Harley went to the "C" lifters you started hearing of more failures than in the past. Stock bikes are not immune to lifter failures. But it is a LOT more common with higher lift cams. And aftermarket lifters are not immune to issues either. Although they are fewer than the Harley "C" lifters. I personally would not worry about the adjustable pushrods. I have run many sets for many miles without any issues. Bottom line is adjustable pushrods would not stop me from doing a stage 2. But if your concern is reliability the stage 2 cams will not help. Although the difference is probably minor the more aggressive cams certainly wont add to reliability. JMO

mjwebb (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
A stage 1 upgrade will have next to zero effect on reliability.
heck I'd go as far as to say it may even increase reliability allowing it to breathe easier..similar to farting, all that pent up gas can't be doing any good

Quick Reply: need someone to talk me off a stage 2 ledge!