Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need someone to talk me off a stage 2 ledge!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, I did the stage II right off the truck. I'll keep y'all informed as to how it holds up. But I sure like it so far!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Stop worrying so much. I went stage 3 with adjustables so I can change the lifters, easily, when ever I wanted. Right now, it's 50 state legal and warranty compliant. If something did fail, not my problem.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:28 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Stage 2 is a great choice as their is so little to gain by the Stage 1. Adjustable pushrods aren't a concern at all.

Go for it--you'll love it

Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

just trying to be objective, give it a chance before throwing money at it..here's one of many comments from similar reviews

"HOLY S#*T, this thing is great. I’m sure you want to know how the 107” performed. Well, it rocks. The bike pulled hard and didn’t make me feel like I would instantly have to do engine upgrades to be happy. It pretty much felt like a 103” with cams, exhaust, high flow air cleaner, and a tune, but it was stone cold stock.Performance is great"

Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

IMO, based on my riding style (<4000 most of the time) the torque cam upgrade was not worth my money because, while the "peak" torque went up a bit, there is a loss in lower rpm torque. The increase is mainly in the upper rpm area where I rarely ride.
I would wait for the TTS torque cam that beats the HD torque cam everywhere!
Bob

Old 02-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

If you like the current power and spend most of the time in the lower Rs, stay with the stock cam. If you find the motor falling flat too soon go with the TQ cam.. Most of the tq in the tq cam is mid-range tho you will pick up a bit of HP up top also.. During the first 500 for me the motor felt fine but as I started to use all of the RPM range I found the stock cam lacking.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,998 Likes on 17,904 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
can't answer your specific questions but I resisted the urge to do anything for similar concerns..I've always dreamed of just leaving a Harley engine stock and this time aside from Street Canons that's what I am committed to. After a 17 year Twin Cam run they came out with the best Touring motor in their history. I'm sticking with if it ain't broke don't fix it rather than if it ain't broke work on it until it is. Even after doing various stage performance upgrades in the past and enjoying them I always thought next one I'm leaving alone. I like the idea of not introducing change and possibly compromising the benefits and advantages of stock from fuel economy to reliability, etc. I've even left the OEM intake alone cuz I like the better protection it provides. Bike runs so good and has all the power I need or want. Now if I rode Two Up with a 300lb Mother In Law or someone everywhere then it would be more of a need.
Pretty much of the same mindset, aside from ditching that goat *** ugly airbox and some slip-ons I'm going to leave the motor on the RK bone friggen stock this go round. Bike has ***** for days as it is.

Got a hot rod shovel if I feel the need to tweak off on something.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

i already have stage I and all the bells and whistles leading up to a cam upgrade. I've done the V&H power dual headers, V&H slips ons, SE heavy breather, tuner, etc.. even did the fan assist cooler and apes since getting her back in Dec. (yes, winter has been pretty long and boring for me..) The stage II is about getting a bit more low end torque. bike runs strong but could use a bit more ooomph. Maybe it's the sport bike side of me that wants to resurrect. In retrospect I never was one to play it safe.. i'll stay as scheduled and do the cam torque upgrade this weekend. It's already paid for so might as well. will let you know how it goes. thanks again for the replies. much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

I'm going with a Stage 1, V&H power duals, 4.5 slip ons, and SE heavy breather that uses the stock cover. The dealer will use the pro street tuner which is EPA approved and finish up with the new SE real time tuner that uses wide ban 02 sensors to adjust the ECM on the fly. It think the new stock cover is the *****. When everyone has the 107 then I'll probably change my mind.

Keep the stock cam, engine mods like SE stage 2 kit are covered under original warranty, if done at time of delivery, but if you want an extended warranty then I think you have a problem.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
If you like the current power and spend most of the time in the lower Rs, stay with the stock cam. If you find the motor falling flat too soon go with the TQ cam.. Most of the tq in the tq cam is mid-range tho you will pick up a bit of HP up top also.. During the first 500 for me the motor felt fine but as I started to use all of the RPM range I found the stock cam lacking.
after the HD SE Street Tuner Stage 1 calibration my perception has been it pulls longer on the top end..aside from raising the idle it must have increased the rpm limit some..low to mid range tq is good as well..I recommend folks give it a chance and work their way to upgrades rather than throw money at different builds first..think if most are honest with themselves they will have a hard time feeling like the engine is underwhelming..then again lots are just adrenaline junkies and money ain't a problem..I'm both but don't feel the need or desire anymore..stock is damn fine

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-26-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: need someone to talk me off a stage 2 ledge!