Stage II - Do I need to dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:36 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,960 Likes on 3,598 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
Now that's what I was hoping to hear!
Yeah, you can get caught up in the 12.5-14.6/1 AFR thing all day long. Depending on if your wide open throttle (or part throttle where most actually ride and will feel it), that ratio varies. Like bwoltz said, ride it.. if your dangerously rich or lean WILL feel it.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Amen to your svc mgr. and his integrity. I've never subjected my bike (any more than my Buick) to a dyne session.

Like HD puts it, all of these components are a matched set, and the canned tune presents no issues. Throttle progressivity, no decel pops, no flat spots, etc.

It works simply put, so I won't mess with it. If I were grabbing parts off a shelf and no canned map, then obviously a dyno would probably benefit - but only under those conditions.

To me, pushing to get those last few numbers just isn't worth longevity.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Amen to your svc mgr. and his integrity. I've never subjected my bike (any more than my Buick) to a dyne session.

Like HD puts it, all of these components are a matched set, and the canned tune presents no issues. Throttle progressivity, no decel pops, no flat spots, etc.

It works simply put, so I won't mess with it. If I were grabbing parts off a shelf and no canned map, then obviously a dyno would probably benefit - but only under those conditions.

Yea, I really like my dealer. There was a guy that came in looking for used parts, which I had a garage full of. The dealer called me and said to give him a list and he would get it to the guy. Then the dealer let me bring it in to the shop and he did the transaction for me after I agreed on prices. As a result, I took the money that I got from the parts and it payed for a stage II, so I wound up giving the money right back to the dealer, but I thought that was above and beyond on the dealers part.

Then he tells me he doesn't think I should spend the money on the Dyno. $300 in my pocket, and a happy customer. That's good business. I'll probably grab a rain suit that i have been looking at before my discount runs out - it's $300. Win - win!

The following users liked this post:
Jacker71 (08-11-2020)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:36 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts

While I realize I am satan because I am a tuner, the purpose of a dyno tune (recalibration) of the engine management system is NOT to produce a dyno sheet for bragging rights.
It is to recalibrate the fueling AND ignition timing (approx 300-400 tune points per cylinder) for best performance, smoothness, throttle response, fuel mileage, decel back firing, cold start, hot start issues get addressed/corrected as the tune goes on.

One of the most important jobs of a dyno tune is to identify any power robbing issues like...
Sumping! A dyno is one of, if not the best, tool for catching poor scavenge performance from the oil pump that can rob a few hp to as much as 30 hp if real bad.
Another invaluable tool is the clutch slip graph that does a brilliant job of identifying when and where the clutch slips. From that we can evaluate whether it's an adjustment issue or a "too much power" issue.
Identifying cam timing issues from being, as just an example, a "tooth" off one of the gears when reassembled.
Identifying and quantifying injector duty cycle for best reliable long term performance. Too much DC and the injector wears out prematurely.
Identifying when and where the ignition timing can be altered to get rid of the knock-retard found I see in the M8s. This stabilizes the performance based on best power without the need to constantly alter.
My bet is the MOCO sets its timing maps based on the fuel they build the calibration with. That's nowhere near real world IME.
Identifying primary chain issues from the pictures the power graphs produce.
Visually identify rear wheel and tire irregularities which much more often than not.
Along with that most tuners will do minor things like tire pressures, nut and bolt tightening and replacement, etc, etc.
All that said, whatever the power that comes from the diagnostic evaluations and tuning is what you get from the build.
There. I'm off my soapbox now
Bob

The following 2 users liked this post by FLTRI17:
msocko3 (02-10-2017), Toolmaker5150 (10-05-2022)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
While I realize I am satan because I am a tuner, the purpose of a dyno tune (recalibration) of the engine management system is NOT to produce a dyno sheet for bragging rights.
It is to recalibrate the fueling AND ignition timing (approx 300-400 tune points per cylinder) for best performance, smoothness, throttle response, fuel mileage, decel back firing, cold start, hot start issues get addressed/corrected as the tune goes on.

One of the most important jobs of a dyno tune is to identify any power robbing issues like...
Sumping! A dyno is one of, if not the best, tool for catching poor scavenge performance from the oil pump that can rob a few hp to as much as 30 hp if real bad.
Another invaluable tool is the clutch slip graph that does a brilliant job of identifying when and where the clutch slips. From that we can evaluate whether it's an adjustment issue or a "too much power" issue.
Identifying cam timing issues from being, as just an example, a "tooth" off one of the gears when reassembled.
Identifying and quantifying injector duty cycle for best reliable long term performance. Too much DC and the injector wears out prematurely.
Identifying when and where the ignition timing can be altered to get rid of the knock-retard found I see in the M8s. This stabilizes the performance based on best power without the need to constantly alter.
My bet is the MOCO sets its timing maps based on the fuel they build the calibration with. That's nowhere near real world IME.
Visually identify rear wheel and tire irregularities which much more often than not.
Along with that most tuners will do minor things like tire pressures, nut and bolt tightening and replacement, etc, etc.
All that said, whatever the power that comes from the diagnostic evaluations and tuning is what you get from the build.
Bob

So, Bob...
Are you telling me I should get a dyno? Not looking to pin anyone down, or start a huff... just want to know if I can maximize my engine performance and efficiency with a dyno, or no, the factory map is fine.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

I always refer folks who ask that question to find someone with a similar bike and rode the bike with a canned map then dyno tuned by a reputable tuner.
What I hear is "smoother, more responsive, cooler, and better mileage"...and yes, they also mention they feel like it has more power.
It doesn't surprise me that owners that have never experienced the difference between untuned vs tuned do not recommend a dyno tune.
They feel their bike is running just fine and can't imagine it running any better.
As far as an eddy brake chassis dyno (ie: Dynojet 250i) being hard on a bike and/or engine...how often do you hear of a bike blowing up on a dyno?
The bike doesn't accelerate you and your bike's combined weight.
The bike has no aero dynamic drag causing resistance to increased speed.
The drum is all the bike has to accelerate.
HTH,
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 02-09-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels

The selected part are meant to work well together. They will work acceptably even at 14:1-15:1 AFR albeit a little hot.
Remember lean is clean AND hot. Just a little goes a long way to cool things down a bit.
Also if canned maps were the way to go there would be no tuners needed.
If canned maps work for all exhaust - cam - intake combos it would be great.
Just doesn't happen...
Bob

Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Bob
Originally Posted by bradn
So, Bob...
Are you telling me I should get a dyno? Not looking to pin anyone down, or start a huff... just want to know if I can maximize my engine performance and efficiency with a dyno, or no, the factory map is fine.

Thanks,
Brad
I always refer folks who ask that question to find someone with a similar bike and rode the bike with a canned map then dyno tuned by a reputable tuner.
What I hear is "smoother, more responsive, cooler, and better mileage"...and yes, they also mention they feel like it has more power.
It doesn't surprise me that owners that have never experienced the difference between untuned vs tuned do not recommend a dyno tune.
They feel their bike is running just fine and can't imagine it running any better.
As far as an eddy brake chassis dyno (ie: Dynojet 250i) being hard on a bike and/or engine...how often do you hear of a bike blowing up on a dyno?
The bike doesn't accelerate you and your bike's combined weight.
The bike has no aero dynamic drag causing resistance to increased speed.
The drum is all the bike has to accelerate.
HTH,
Bob
OK. Me being one of those guys that could have gone from purchase to sale of my '14 Ultra and left it completely stock, I'll give you my observations. The sole issue I was concerned about and felt I had to take some action to correct was engine heat. My general understanding was enriching the air/fuel could help. So, I was already 3/4 toward map adjustments. Seeking the advice of the dreaded "dyno guy", the following was suggested: 1) an Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner, 2) install Power Commander V, 3) custom remap of A/F. (A muffler change was also suggested, which I declined.)

Perhaps to justify his existence, perhaps to objectively demonstrate the before and after, a dyno run was also suggested. BTW, I have NOT laminated the graph and do not carry a copy in my wallet. I don't even share the results on this Forum to "brag"; after all, WTF did I do besides open my wallet [happily I might add]? Long story short, the bike still runs hot, but there has been a noticeable improvement. In addition, I've noticed better performance, engine smoothness [except idle remains about the same as before] and throttle response. If I rode exclusively solo, I certainly did NOT need any of the performance enhancements; however, I ride about 80% two-up, and these enhancements are greatly appreciated and well-worth the money. YMMV

Old 02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
OK. Me being one of those guys that could have gone from purchase to sale of my '14 Ultra and left it completely stock, I'll give you my observations. The sole issue I was concerned about and felt I had to take some action to correct was engine heat. My general understanding was enriching the air/fuel could help. So, I was already 3/4 toward map adjustments. Seeking the advice of the dreaded "dyno guy", the following was suggested: 1) an Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner, 2) install Power Commander V, 3) custom remap of A/F. (A muffler change was also suggested, which I declined.)

Perhaps to justify his existence, perhaps to objectively demonstrate the before and after, a dyno run was also suggested. BTW, I have NOT laminated the graph and do not carry a copy in my wallet. I don't even share the results on this Forum to "brag"; after all, WTF did I do besides open my wallet [happily I might add]? Long story short, the bike still runs hot, but there has been a noticeable improvement. In addition, I've noticed better performance, engine smoothness [except idle remains about the same as before] and throttle response. If I rode exclusively solo, I certainly did NOT need any of the performance enhancements; however, I ride about 80% two-up, and these enhancements are greatly appreciated and well-worth the money. YMMV
About 2 weeks ago I talked to one of the people I consider the one best tuners in the country. he's semi retired but still active helping others. He mentioned the new street tuner and the maps. From what he's seen the new maps are much better than the older ones and are very close.. IIRc someone on this board actually tuned stage 1 or 2 with the street tuner and got maybe a foot pound and 2 mid range but not much else..

Nice thing about the later bikes with the 8 valve head and head pipe with cat is that changes to mufflers and air cleaner won't make much difference in the way the bike is tuned.

Another thing to watch out for is that the guy doing the tune can bias the output.. Not saying yours was done that way but it does happen..

Add. BTW.. Notice that you dyno sheet shows the first pull as run 1.. Was the bike up to temp, the dyno warmed up and already as few pulls to ensure the bike was giving consistent readings for HP output?

Last edited by Max Headflow; 02-10-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Add
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
About 2 weeks ago I talked to one of the people I consider the one best tuners in the country. he's semi retired but still active helping others. He mentioned the new street tuner and the maps. From what he's seen the new maps are much better than the older ones and are very close.. IIRc someone on this board actually tuned stage 1 or 2 with the street tuner and got maybe a foot pound and 2 mid range but not much else..

Nice thing about the later bikes with the 8 valve head and head pipe with cat is that changes to mufflers and air cleaner won't make much difference in the way the bike is tuned.

Another thing to watch out for is that the guy doing the tune can bias the output.. Not saying yours was done that way but it does happen..

Add. BTW.. Notice that you dyno sheet shows the first pull as run 1.. Was the bike up to temp, the dyno warmed up and already as few pulls to ensure the bike was giving consistent readings for HP output?
Regarding the dyno run(s): I rode 1/2 hour to get to the test site; however, the bike sat for 15-20 minutes in the rain waiting for work to be completed on the bike ahead of me. When it was my turn, the bike ran 5-10 minutes in the parking lot and another 5 minutes riding onto the dyno. The dyno guy ran the bike thru a few gentle runs before running the baseline run. I'm not sure if this was sufficient for the bike and/or dyno to be considered "warmed up".

Thereafter, there was about a 30-45 minute delay for install of the air cleaner and PCV where the bike undoubtedly cooled down. However, there were several runs where readouts were evaluated and tweaks were done to A/F. Again, I'm not sure if this constituted sufficient "warm up".

Quick Reply: Stage II - Do I need to dyno?