Sponsored by:

Smart tune pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Yep, most stock, stage1, & mild cam bikes will tune in fairly well with Smartune.
It's when performance takes a leap up that Smartune starts getting challenged to do proper calibration tuning with differing exhaust systems applied with cam profiles with a fair amount of overlap that causes tuning issues that "auto-tune" systems to fail.
So, IMO stay stock or get it tuned if you want the most (smoothness response, and power with good mileage) from your investment.
Bob
I was asking here about the HD full exhaust and the auto tune module with WB 02's when they came out ..Steve Cole responded that I'd be better off saving my money and spending it on getting a good tune..and he was right..went all in on SE Stage 1 and came away extremely impressed and satisfied..I don't know by looking at the AFR chart whether it's a good thing or as best as one can expect from the EPA SEPST, appears to have leaned out the AFR over the SE Stage 1 SEPST calibration, is that a bad thing? seems the engineers wanted the calibration richer than the dyno tuner did....but it sure runs fantastic, doubt it runs any cooler but at least I have confidence the engine is happy and efficient (again, within the EPA parameters, etc.)

long story short..came away a believer in the getting a good tune advice

Attached Thumbnails Smart tune pro-img_0588.jpg  

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-21-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: adding chart
Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I agree!

I was was surprised at the amount of maps available for different Stages. Looks as if they are adding maps quite frequently.

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Yep, most stock, stage1, & mild cam bikes will tune in fairly well with Smartune.
It's when performance takes a leap up that Smartune starts getting challenged to do proper calibration tuning with differing exhaust systems applied with cam profiles with a fair amount of overlap that causes tuning issues that "auto-tune" systems to fail.
So, IMO stay stock or get it tuned if you want the most (smoothness response, and power with good mileage) from your investment.
Bob

Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts
Default SE Stage 1 Dyno

guess we can't delete duplicate posts by mistake

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:17 PM
General Hangover
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
read that, and under More Info > Instructions they say you may need the O2 sensor drill/tap tool for $400..what a joke

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...tallation-tool
Originally Posted by MarkBorg
That sucks.

I know this is an old thread - but maybe it helps somebody:
The EXHAUST OXYGEN SENSOR (WIDE BAND O2) BUNG DRILL AND TAP TOOL KIT 14900105 is just to extend the sensor hole from the metric M12 thread to a metric M18 thread. Only the masterminds of the MoCo knows, why you should use an 41/64 inch drill to prepare for a metric thread.
The SIP states the thread as a metric M18x1.5 thread - and the metric drill for that is a 16.5mm one. Instead of buying this overpriced toolset, just buy a 16.5mm drill and a M18x1.5 tap. Even in the US and Canada you should get that for little bucks.

Hope it helps!

Old 11-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Cogito
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Or have your dealer install it for you.
Mine charged me $200 for the installation of the smart tune pro.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:24 PM
General Hangover
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito
Or have your dealer install it for you.
Mine charged me $200 for the installation of the smart tune pro.
Are you satisfied with your Smart Tune Pro? Was it a good invest? Can you describe what has changed while riding?
I think about buying.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:36 PM
Cogito
Cruiser

Originally Posted by General Hangover
Are you satisfied with your Smart Tune Pro? Was it a good invest? Can you describe what has changed while riding?
I think about buying.
I spent a little over $600 installed and that includes the smart tune pro. Had it done within the first 60 days to have it rolled into the factory warranty.
It is compatible with Dynojet PowerVision when I get one after the warranty expires, and it works like the Dynojet target tune.
It works with all stages you can do on the bike
I was going to explain Wideband vs narrowband.... but dynojet just does that better: https://www.dynojet.com/blog/narrowb...nd-o2-sensors/
This means that with the smart tune pro your current tune is pretty much unaffected by changes in temperatures, elevation, gas quality, dirty-ish air filter. Because the STP is capable of compensating for those changes.

From my experience riding about 2000 miles since I got it installed. I only have a stage1 for now SE AC with CVO mufflers and fullsac 1.75" baffles.
The bike runs exactly the same when it is 60 degrees or 100 degrees outside, it runs the same at ocean level versus 5000+ feet elevation. And that's what I am after, I want the bike to run exactly the same as the day it was tuned and only STP or Dynojet Target Tune can make it happen.

The following users liked this post:
BigDogIdaho (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:30 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

I'll second that as well.
I rode to Colorado as my first longer trip after getting it installed.
Ran pretty much the same up high like Mt Evans, or when I'm lower.
Definitely noticed a difference.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Dakota_Male
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the Smart pro tuner as well along with the 131kit,stock extreme air breather and cvo exhaust pipe in my 2020 Cvo Limited.bike runs good. No issues, I imagine some gains if the upgrade breather and exhaust pipes but I’m not racing it but I still love the torque and higher rev limit (6800)!

Old 11-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Cogito
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dakota_Male
I installed the Smart pro tuner as well along with the 131kit,stock extreme air breather and cvo exhaust pipe in my 2020 Cvo Limited.bike runs good. No issues, I imagine some gains if the upgrade breather and exhaust pipes but I’m not racing it but I still love the torque and higher rev limit (6800)!
Do you have the fullsac baffles in your CVO mufflers?

Quick Reply: Smart tune pro