Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed the fan assisted oil cooler yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Anyone installed the fan assisted oil cooler yet?

Has anyone installed the fan assisted oil cooler for their 2017 street glides?

Not the coolflow fan that blows hot air to the rear for rider comfort, but the oil cooler replacement unit that comes with a built-in fan. It's a $329.00 HD that supposedly reduces engine temps by 50 degrees. It's supposed to be great for traffic/parade duty, etc. It sounds like a no brainer but I'm not the type that drinks the coolaid so I'd rather hear it from someone who has actually installed one on their current m8 bike. If so, what are your thoughts? Does it really work, how often does the fan come on, when it does is it noisy?, etc, etc..

Thinking about adding it to my never ending list of winter projects.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 4,764 Posts

I have it on my Road King...it comes on every outing it gets to operating temperature regardless of outdoor temps..I've ridden in a 30 degree low thus far..it is whisper silent, you cannot hear it operating at all but when you put your hand by it it is blowing hard...there's a looooong thread about it buried somewhere in the M8 Forum..and Steve Cole performed tests that indicate it in fact works as advertised

Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

cool.. i'll continue to search for those posts. thanks

Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...er-system.html

There's the link to a very informative thread on this subject. I also have one installed on my bike and it seems to be working fine so far.

The following users liked this post:
grande78 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 05:10 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

I got one, its never came on yet. Dealer says its enabled and wont come on till it gets hot. dealer says all you guys with them coming on in these frigid temps got messed up installs.. funny **** I say! will wait till warmer temps and then go see them if it dont come on....
cheers!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:13 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sixguns
I got one, its never came on yet. Dealer says its enabled and wont come on till it gets hot. dealer says all you guys with them coming on in these frigid temps got messed up installs.. funny **** I say! will wait till warmer temps and then go see them if it dont come on....
cheers!
What temps are you riding in? Mine wasn't coming on either and I had it checked and the dealer never enabled it. Once they did it came on after the first ride.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 4,764 Posts

cheers!
tell your dealer to blame the MOCO for the "messed up installs"...my wife's Freewheeler came from the factory with one and it's come on in the same "frigid temps" as my add on "messed up install"..LOL

Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
tell your dealer to blame the MOCO for the "messed up installs"...my wife's Freewheeler came from the factory with one and it's come on in the same "frigid temps" as my add on "messed up install"..LOL
Lol, They claimed to have called the Moco, but never got a definitive answer like WTF temp makes it come on, so basically a wasted phone conversation.

Mostly been riding in 35-40 temps. No in traffic riding.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

Why must we continue to pull HD's teeth every time we need technical info? frustrating but nevertheless it seems like a worthwhile investment. 50 degrees and a little bit of peace of mind seems like a no brainer.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Lol, They claimed to have called the Moco, but never got a definitive answer like WTF temp makes it come on, so basically a wasted phone conversation.

Mostly been riding in 35-40 temps. No in traffic riding.

It should still be coming on if you're taking semi-extended rides to where the engine gets up to operating temps. When you get somewhere or back home, let the bike idle a few minutes and then check the fan. It will be obvious if it's on as it will be sucking a large volume of air through the cooler, and you can feel it blowing if you put your hand anywhere near the rear of the fan. If it's not, I would conclude that your dealer doesn't know how to enable it and they're BSing you.

The following 3 users liked this post by SWThomas:
mjwebb (01-25-2017), sixguns (01-25-2017), smokingjoe (04-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone installed the fan assisted oil cooler yet?