Sponsored by:

Stage one on an M8

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Johnny!
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stage one on an M8

New member and first Harley here, 17' Ultra Ckassic.
Looking for member reviews of those who have installed the stage one kit. Worth it? OTD price for kit and install? Assuming the dealer has to install due to setting up the new ecm?
My dealer had a stage one kit in the showroom and ran it for me, not a fan of the SE slip ons sound, and wonder if anyone else has done the stage one with aftermarket slip ons?

thanks

Old 01-14-2017, 12:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

dropping it off at the dealer can run a couple of grand.

a diy stage 1 can run a few hundred bucks.

the net difference in power between a $400 and $2000 stage 1 can be 2 or 3 HP...or not, the results depend on the parts chosen and the tuning.

my best bang for buck suggestion is:

ness big sucker air cleaner with chrome backing plate-usually about $120, check ebay seller easternpc
( or for a stock motor, the stock air cleaner can give good results, but look for a K&N type air filter)

stock type header with cat removed- ebay replacement- $150 or look for a diy tutorial

tuning- the easiest least expensive are nightrider.com xieds/vieds

unless you have a pressing need, you could just leave it as is stock for a while- that way there are no questions or concerns if you have a warranty concern

- the dealer may tell you that the warranty will cover parts installed by them...get that in writing. a dealer cannot modify the factory warranty- but they can offer a supplemental- so that's what you need written proof of

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-14-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny!
New member and first Harley here, 17' Ultra Ckassic.
Looking for member reviews of those who have installed the stage one kit. Worth it? OTD price for kit and install? Assuming the dealer has to install due to setting up the new ecm?
My dealer had a stage one kit in the showroom and ran it for me, not a fan of the SE slip ons sound, and wonder if anyone else has done the stage one with aftermarket slip ons?

thanks
being a new Harley owner there has never been a better time to get one of their Touring bikes...I like MK's advice about riding it stock for awhile, take your time, research like you're doing here, look, listen and learn then you'll be more informed and make the best decisions...the stock motor is great, but if you are riding Two Up and touring a lot, and your combined weights are around the bikes capacity threshold it may be worthwhile to go straight to the Stage II Torque cam upgrade and get it all covered under the factory or ESP warranty..I think if you wait too long after purchase the warranty coverage is different but double check with dealer..congrats!

Old 01-14-2017, 04:02 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
,,,I think if you wait too long after purchase the warranty coverage is different but double check with dealer.....
ESP is NOT a warranty from harley-davidson it is a service contract with a 3rd party. huge legal difference.

Mike

Old 01-14-2017, 04:23 PM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the SE Street Cannons, SE Ventilator, and tuned it with the FP3 using the VH slash round slip ons and hi flow filter map flashed to the ECM. Then ran a couple auto tune sessions and got alot of help from members here in the dyno room threads. Saved alot of money and had alot of fun in the process!

Old 01-14-2017, 05:44 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I went with a stage 1 and then a stage II right away. I had the dealer install everything, as it was then covered for the extent of the warranty. Depending on what you are looking for, the Street Cannon's may not be for you, but I really like the fact that if you baby the throttle, the neighbors will keep you in good standing, but when you roll it on, they really wake up. Plus, like all slip-on's, they get better with miles!!

I would caution against messing with the cat or anything that take you outside EPA reg's, as you are inviting warranty trouble if you do.

Best of luck with your new ride.

Post some pic's!

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
ESP is NOT a warranty from harley-davidson it is a service contract with a 3rd party. huge legal difference.

Mike
yeah, but Harley markets and advertises it as being "The ONLY Harley Davidson Factory Endorsed Extended Service Plan", it sounds confusing because 'service' sounds like maintenance and can be misconstrued as the prepaid maintenance plan. But the ESP is the one that you can extend warranty coverage up to 7 years and reimburses rental, towing and lodging, addt'l tire and wheel, is transferrable and prorated reimbursed if sold or traded