Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) vs 2017 Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017 | 09:35 AM
Heritage105th
Cruiser

I for years have owned Road kings and softails because of the ability to not have anything obstructing me from the wind. I made the decision in 2016 that I was tired of being pelted by all the insects and bought a RGS. 1 1/2 months later Harley came out with the M8. I had installed a full exhaust and intake with cams already. Thought about it all winter and decided to test ride the ultras because I felt my RGS was too bumpy and it was mainy due to the low profile tires. After test riding both ultras multiple times I felt less wind from the batwing than the shark nose. I liked that the ultra limited had LED lighting in the front and heated grips installed. I have since my purchase installed 944 progressive's and a LRS 9" Dark windshield. This thing rides awesome now!

Old 11-30-2017 | 01:57 PM
robatrak
Advanced
Default Just about to press the button on a 2018 Limited

Just for what’s its worth, I have decided to move up from a 2015 Heritage Classic with a Stage IV giving plenty of Torque throughout the gears but with a lot of European touring in mind, I recently rented both the RG and UL for a week whilst riding out in Dubai and I have to say, after riding both bikes with a friend, riding through wind, deserts, winding roads, through heat and night rides, the UL was my personal choice. Not just because of the more classical HD looks, but because the controls suited me better, the riding position and overall control just felt better. I am over 240lbs and 6ft.

Didn't really see a massive difference in handling with wind but definitely, the UL gave me more confidence when in cities for lane splitting, just couldn’t navigate the RG so easily, maybe just the way the bike handled, its size of the front fairing or its awkward feeling trying to split lanes, its just that the UL was as easy to ride through traffic as the Heritage and on the long open roads, the UL performed really well.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) vs 2017 Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU)-lutra-limited.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
eodJeff78 (12-01-2017)
Old 11-30-2017 | 02:44 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robatrak
Just for what’s its worth, I have decided to move up from a 2015 Heritage Classic with a Stage IV giving plenty of Torque throughout the gears but with a lot of European touring in mind, I recently rented both the RG and UL for a week whilst riding out in Dubai and I have to say, after riding both bikes with a friend, riding through wind, deserts, winding roads, through heat and night rides, the UL was my personal choice. Not just because of the more classical HD looks, but because the controls suited me better, the riding position and overall control just felt better. I am over 240lbs and 6ft.

Didn't really see a massive difference in handling with wind but definitely, the UL gave me more confidence when in cities for lane splitting, just couldn’t navigate the RG so easily, maybe just the way the bike handled, its size of the front fairing or its awkward feeling trying to split lanes, its just that the UL was as easy to ride through traffic as the Heritage and on the long open roads, the UL performed really well.
Always personal preference. I thought the exact opposite I thought the RGU was much more nimble because I wasnt wrestling the extra 40 pounds attached to the handle bars. I found the RGU dove into turns much cleaner (top heavy?) and felt alot more sporty. I cant lane split here so I cant speak to that. I hated the controls of the UL in my face. It took away from the openness of the ride. I felt closed in. I thought the shark outclassed the UL with wind gusts as well. Going across some large open expanses near Atlantic City NJ, the wind gusts can be extreme coming off the ocean. The shark eats them up, never flinched. The UL not terrible but I was getting blown around in my lane on occasion.

RGU inbound in two weeeeeeeeeks

PS Im about the same size as you

Last edited by Beerbar; 11-30-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: adding info
robatrak (12-01-2017)
Old 11-30-2017 | 04:36 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

batwing or shark?

eodJeff78 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017 | 05:58 PM
eodJeff78
|
Advanced

Thanks for the input. Interesting take/opinions between you and Beerbar on the ride and what suited you and what didn't. I will have to use one of my free rentals and take the RGU out on the twisty's and the open road to find out for myself. Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2017 | 07:14 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

Great choice robatrak, but I am bias! Enjoy. eodjeff78 as others have stated it comes down to personal preference. Always good to have choices to satisfy the masses. For me not having the faring turn with the bike, higher bars, closterfobic feeling, and the overall bloated look was a deal killer.

Last edited by Heritage07; 12-02-2017 at 07:25 AM.