Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) vs 2017 Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017 | 10:19 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Northside
The headlight thing..... Yeah my headlight doesn't turn with the bars on my RG. Is it strange, hard to get used to? Funny my headlights on my truck don't move when I turn the steering wheel either. It's never been a problem for me on either one.
Yep I never could get a grasp on the RG headlight thing. 1st time I rode a RG at night was the last hour of the ride home from the dealer on the day I bought it. I honestly never noticed any difference other than the fact that my RGU lit up the road much better than any of my WGs ever had. Hell no matter if I am going straight or around turns the entire road way is lit and much of the shoulder, what more is needed. What am I missing

Old 03-28-2017 | 11:29 AM
bikerdan128
Advanced

The headlight thing..... Yeah my headlight doesn't turn with the bars on my RG. Is it strange, hard to get used to? Funny my headlights on my truck don't move when I turn the steering wheel either. It's never been a problem for me on either one.

You can't compare driving a truck to riding a motorcycle. 2 different worlds. I just don't like the way the RG's look or feel. Add in in how the fairing don't move when u turn the front end and I will nvr like them. More power to ya if your into that sort of thing. Liking different **** is what makes this such an awesome world.

The following users liked this post:
Zortster99 (03-29-2017)
Old 05-14-2017 | 09:41 AM
HSTWXMAN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UltraSteveUSAF
I have one of each they are mechanically the same. The difference is from the neck forward. Yes the wheels and some other pieces are different also. But the Road Glide eats miles like you'll never believe. Something about that stationary Fairing
do you feel like you have more leg room on the RG? I assume it is the way you sit, but I feel like you have a few more inches of room.
Todd

Old 05-16-2017 | 10:22 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I believe the salesperson was right
Wow.....! Now that's a statement I never thought I'd read on a Harley forum...!!

And in this, case it's mostly true...!

Old 05-16-2017 | 11:22 AM
Northside
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bikerdan128
You can't compare driving a truck to riding a motorcycle. 2 different worlds. I just don't like the way the RG's look or feel. Add in in how the fairing don't move when u turn the front end and I will nvr like them. More power to ya if your into that sort of thing. Liking different **** is what makes this such an awesome world.
We are talking about the headlight not turning with the handlebar, not the difference between driving a truck and riding a bike. The headlight is aiming where the vehicle is going.

I rode a Streetglide for 10 years. It was at the time the most comfortable bike I ever rode. In 2010 I did two trips to California from Colorado. Now I have a '17 Road Glide Special. After a test ride, I had to get the Milwaukee 8. Honestly as much as I loved my old Streetglide, this new RGS blows it away. It's no myth that the RG handles better in the wind than a batwing.

Ride what you like. I think it's great that we have so many choices. I made mine and got the best looking Harley!

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) vs 2017 Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU)-img_0527.jpg   2017 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) vs 2017 Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU)-s5000388.jpg  

Last edited by Northside; 05-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2017 | 12:27 PM
bikerdan128
Advanced

We are talking about the headlight not turning with the handlebar, not the difference between driving a truck and riding a bike. The headlight is aiming where the vehicle is going.

I rode a Streetglide for 10 years. It was at the time the most comfortable bike I ever rode. In 2010 I did two trips to California from Colorado. Now I have a '17 Road Glide Special. After a test ride, I had to get the Milwaukee 8. Honestly as much as I loved my old Streetglide, this new RGS blows it away. It's no myth that the RG handles better in the wind than a batwing.

Ride what you like. I think it's great that we have so many choices. I made mine and got the best looking Harley!
ummm trucks don't have handlebars. Lol. I can believe the wind thing, but it's never bothered me that much anyways. I just wasn't as comfortable on the RG as I am on the ultra. I just got mine back from the dealership for 1000 mile service and dyno. 80 hp and 101 ft lbs of torque. Stage one with SE street cannons and SE air cleaner with the SE tuner. I'm extremely happy with my choice. Can't stop smiling. \../

Old 05-16-2017 | 04:10 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain

I like the room on an Road Glide, and the fact it has dual head lites, the way it handles especially in strong wind.I had both .
Best/joe

Old 05-16-2017 | 04:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess no one has pointed out that when you turn left on a batwing at speed, your head light actually turns a millimeter or two to the right. It's called counter steering.

At no time over say 15 mph do you actually turn the bars left to turn left. If you did, you'd go right, right off into the woods.

When it comes to night driving I prefer a Road glide. Wider beam.

Last edited by lp; 05-16-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2017 | 05:17 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

I tried a RG, extra money needed to be invested before I even was to take it home, that was running through my mind as I was riding it, not an unusual thought for me to have. However, more things to replace that I normally do .. wind buffeting and everything is too far away for me.. Batwing you can cut the wind shield down and the bike is ready to ride.. Just look at a RGU and a Batwing Ultra and look at the adds that were done just to "look 10 years younger" Bars is the big thing, new cables/lines which ain't cheap.. The Batwing has been perfected and other Bike companies are doing there darndest to copy it's working work. I did see a 22 about's year old drive off in a new SGS, he looked in command as ****, if it would have been a RG one would think who talked him into that bike? SGS has way better trade value.

Old 05-17-2017 | 08:47 AM
bradn
Road Master

Chevy vs. Ford thread. This thread will still be alive 3 years from now.

But, I do feel the need to contribute... See sig photo ;-)

Quick Reply: 2017 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) vs 2017 Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU)