Sponsored by:

LED Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 AM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LED Taillights

I think I got some bad advice from the parts guy at the dealer. I wanted to go with LED taillights on the new King (I already have a BAL and wanted to mod the turn signals). They said I needed the run/turn/stop module AND the Light set. I first bought and installed the module which works with incandescent (OEM) bulbs and was going to buy the LED Lamps later. Now I see int the catalog that the LED Taillights have a built-in module so what I installed was unnecessary. My question is can I just buy the LED bulbs that drop in or will I have load balancing, trouble code problems if I go this way?

Old 12-29-2016, 06:45 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,322 Likes on 5,481 Posts

Should not be an issue with the CANBUS. It learns. Just like when you install CD LED turn signals. If they act up you run the 4ways a bit and the bike learns everything is fine.
On my M8 I installed rear fender LED license plate bolts, different LEDs tail light , HD filler lights, CD front turn signals LED inserts .
No issues at all.
Any of the LED 1157 replacement bulbs should work just fine for a low cost route. But the CD LED inserts are brighter.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Yup. Custom Dynamics LED signals are plug and play. No load balancers or additional modules required.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:55 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Yup. Custom Dynamics LED signals are plug and play. No load balancers or additional modules required.
I had the CD led turn signals on my SGS and several in the group complained that it looked like the brake lights were on all the time as the running light was way too bright.

Well, I traded that bike in on my Ultra Limited and the guy that bought it, rides in my HOG chapter group. I see exactly what everyone else was saying now, it looks like the brake light is always on.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:02 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I had the CD led turn signals on my SGS and several in the group complained that it looked like the brake lights were on all the time as the running light was way too bright.

Well, I traded that bike in on my Ultra Limited and the guy that bought it, rides in my HOG chapter group. I see exactly what everyone else was saying now, it looks like the brake light is always on.
Did the brake lights make it even brighter?
I am interested in doing this.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
Did the brake lights make it even brighter?
I am interested in doing this.
Oh yeah, the brake light is pretty bright. They just need to tone down the running lights.

I've seen another thread on this somewhere where people were complaining about the same thing

Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 AM
ntg433
Cruiser

Thanks to all that replied. Appreciate the quick response.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Custom dynamic clusters on rear, outer ring stays lit and full cluster with brake, very bright! Have dynamic ringz on front, white outer ring stays lit and orange center with signal. I had the fast blinking issue but all you have to do is turn ignition on/motor off and run hazard lights for about 30 seconds, it fixes itself

Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM
ntg433
Cruiser

I called CD and they have a pair of single 1156 bulbs for $90 (these are 48 leds). Would the cluster rings fit the OEM housing? Also superbrightleds says they have single 26 led bulbs for $20 that are canbus ready but they said I would need to install load resistors and that the bulbs get hot. Makes me wonder about what the CD single 48-led bulb would do as far as heat?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,092 Likes on 654 Posts

Wouldn't super bright running lights be a good thing? The fact that your buddies noticed them and made note to you about it seems like a good thing for being seen on the street. As long as the brake lights are noticeably brighter, I don't see the problem.

CD sells an in-line module called the Triple Play that allows you to adjust brightness and also set the brake lights to pulse several times or modulate when the brake is applied. It's awesome for wanting cars behind you to notice when you're braking. I'm going to install one on my RGS in short order.

Quick Reply: LED Taillights