Free flowing exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016 | 12:15 PM
mjwebb
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by imchuckm
[/B]

I recently purchased a set of SE Slip-ons for my 2017 Ultra Limited. Before I installed them, I talked with my H-D Service Advisor on his opinion about the ECM upgrade while using the stock air cleaner. His answer was although they are in business to sell upgrades (because I mentioned one of the questions asked on H-D website was do you need to reprogram after installing SE Slip-ons and a MC rep said yes), I should just install the SE Slip-ons and see how they perform. If all is well such as not having backfires on downshifts when exiting off ramps, don't worry about it. That's what I did and it runs fine.
thanks...kind of where I'm at..runs exactly the same as it did stock, haven't introduced a single pop, hitch or glitch anywhere in the power band, zero soot in the mufflers, etc. ..just being the OCD type want it to be perfect and performing as it was designed to....truth is Harley's site should be more clear..they say adding the slip-ons requires an ECM recalibration, yet the Tuner they say you need to do this doesn't have a calibration for just Street Canons, so was forced to do the Stage 1 calibration that wasn't developed for using the OEM intake which has led me to this set of questions..I would have likely just left it stock if I'd have known that ahead of time because I never had any plans to upgrade the intake and still don't want to unless it is considered wise to do so..the performance gain will be negligible, but wasn't sure if there were any other negatives I'm not realizing. I do believe it was a safer bet following the required recalibration recommendation with just the mufflers than not doing so, pretty big difference between the stock mufflers and the Street Canons in regards to having altered air flow.

thanks for letting me bore everyone with my trivial issue....anyway, happy with my Stage 'Two Thirds' ! LOL

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-16-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2016 | 04:35 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer

Originally Posted by mjwebb
thanks...kind of where I'm at..runs exactly the same as it did stock, haven't introduced a single pop, hitch or glitch anywhere in the power band, zero soot in the mufflers, etc. ..just being the OCD type want it to be perfect and performing as it was designed to....truth is Harley's site should be more clear..they say adding the slip-ons requires an ECM recalibration, yet the Tuner they say you need to do this doesn't have a calibration for just Street Canons, so was forced to do the Stage 1 calibration that wasn't developed for using the OEM intake which has led me to this set of questions..I would have likely just left it stock if I'd have known that ahead of time because I never had any plans to upgrade the intake and still don't want to unless it is considered wise to do so..the performance gain will be negligible, but wasn't sure if there were any other negatives I'm not realizing. I do believe it was a safer bet following the required recalibration recommendation with just the mufflers than not doing so, pretty big difference between the stock mufflers and the Street Canons in regards to having altered air flow.

thanks for letting me bore everyone with my trivial issue....anyway, happy with my Stage 'Two Thirds' ! LOL
I must be the only one that void there warranty i knocked the converter out exhaust is louder and not as hot but where it helped other than that i don't know.

Old 12-16-2016 | 06:31 PM
mjwebb
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Helton
I must be the only one that void there warranty i knocked the converter out exhaust is louder and not as hot but where it helped other than that i don't know.
warranties are over rated! LOL