Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:36 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....

I am coming off of a 2012 Ultra Classic with a cable clutch... Now I have a 2017 Limited. Really love the bike with all the upgrades except for the clutch and really no "friction zone" the clutch starts to grab when the lever is about 80-90% out. I thought it was a problem with my bike so I brought it back to the dealer to be adjusted. They say this is normal and there is no adjustment. Being new to the Rushmore's this is very strange to me, but I would think more would be talking about this here. Any thoughts on the clutch ???

Be Safe JIM

The following users liked this post:
Diverbelo (03-10-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:51 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
I am coming off of a 2012 Ultra Classic with a cable clutch... Now I have a 2017 Limited. Really love the bike with all the upgrades except for the clutch and really no "friction zone" the clutch starts to grab when the lever is about 80-90% out. I thought it was a problem with my bike so I brought it back to the dealer to be adjusted. They say this is normal and there is no adjustment. Being new to the Rushmore's this is very strange to me, but I would think more would be talking about this here. Any thoughts on the clutch ???

Be Safe JIM
It's not the Rushmores, it's the M8. HD changed clutch components, notably the clutch slave cylinder.

My '15 Limited Low has the same Assist & Slip clutch without the problems, they've also been in the CVOs.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:53 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I have the same complaint. The common response is, you'll get used to it. I only have 70 miles on my bike, so not enough stick time to make the adjustment. But 100% agree with you that, at least at this stage, it sucks!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

first hydraulic clutch for me. I have always been able to hold the clutch in at stops but anything more than a few minutes now I find myself putting it in neutral..the rest of the action doesn't bother me and love not having to hassle with the periodic manual adjustments

Old 12-14-2016, 08:09 AM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My same first comment, but somewhere between mile 1 and 3000 I fell in love with this clutch, rode my Electra with SE heavy spring recently and hated it and i use to love it. I guess muscle memory kicked in on new clutch and never even think about it now

Old 12-14-2016, 08:20 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I've heard some say an adjustable clutch solves the problem

http://softbrake-com.3dcartstores.co...tch_p_202.html

Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not saying that I hate the new clutch in my M8 but I will say that the cable on my 2012 was way better with feathering for lock turns. Never stalled with my 2012 but I can't say that for the M8. Makes me feel like a rookie again!!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:16 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

I rented an M8 Road King for a long weekend. I got used to the clutch.,but I found it much more hard to pull than my '12 with SE Clutch & SE spring. It really aggravated my Carpal Tunnel. It was torturous for me in traffic. Otherwise I loved the bike.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 3,609 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158

Be Safe JIM
Been riding metric sport bikes 35 years and recently got my 17 RK. Between the extremely low idle and the narrow engagement range of the clutch it can take some getting used to for sure. But I think in time it will feel perfectly normal. I HOPE!

Last edited by stixvrad; 12-14-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:15 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

I have no issues with the "friction zone", I think the engagement is just fine. However, the pulsing that is felt when shifting is something I've never experienced before, but I've grown use to it.

The amount of effort required to hold it in at stoplights SUCKS big time. I'm always shifting to neutral now. luckily neutral is easy to find, not quite as easy as my 2014 though

The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (01-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....