Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:20 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have 5,800 miles on my 17 RGS and have never not been able to slip the clutch. In fact I tried a third gear take off from a stop sign and the M8 did a great job.

The 16 RG CVO has a similar clutch and no problem with it or the similar set up in the 15 freewheeler.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:47 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Default agreed

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
It's not the Rushmores, it's the M8. HD changed clutch components, notably the clutch slave cylinder.

My '15 Limited Low has the same Assist & Slip clutch without the problems, they've also been in the CVOs.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

I had a Rushmore 15 RK, my 17 M8 RGU does the same, its really weird... I thought I was out of gear more then once coming out of neutral..

Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy1727
I completely agree with many here. I do not like the clutch. Release point is to far out and it's very short and twitchy! Slow speed high turn rate maneuvers have managed to make me feel like a newbie. I thought I would get use to it and while I have adjusted some, still don't like it. My previous bike was a 2013 and so easy to feather the clutch as needed!
Agreed. I'll work to get used to it, but I don't like it - at all!

But, damn... all else, what a sweet ride.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Diverbelo
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 2012 Road Glide Ultra for a 2017 Road Glide Ultra. I didn't realize the difference in the clutch until I started riding it. I took it back yesterday and received the standard you can't adjust the clutch answer from the dealer. After 500 miles on the new bike, so far, not loving the hydraulic and dreading getting in slow moving traffic with it.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Spurrs
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Have over 4K miles on mine and I am absolutely loving the clutch. You really get used to it over time and it becomes a non-issue. I do believe the longer let out point really improves the shifting when moving out fast - smooth as silk!

The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (01-22-2018)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:12 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

We have to remember, that we have all developed muscle memory from our previous scoots. With time, our brains and reactions will adjust to the M8 clutch and when it does, we won't even remember what it felt like before. Just my two cents worth.

The following 3 users liked this post by BrokenAnchor:
FM500 (03-11-2017), Hraefn (06-21-2017), JPGA (08-12-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:03 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
We have to remember, that we have all developed muscle memory from our previous scoots. With time, our brains and reactions will adjust to the M8 clutch and when it does, we won't even remember what it felt like before. Just my two cents worth.
I rented an M8 last month. Didn't like the clutch at first but got used to it in about 20 miles. Didn't even notice it after that.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverbelo
I traded my 2012 Road Glide Ultra for a 2017 Road Glide Ultra. I didn't realize the difference in the clutch until I started riding it. I took it back yesterday and received the standard you can't adjust the clutch answer from the dealer. After 500 miles on the new bike, so far, not loving the hydraulic and dreading getting in slow moving traffic with it.
Try synthetic engine oil for primary. Synthetic oil is slippery. I don't think you can buy weaker clutch spring. Maybe some older springs will fit? I am sure some mechanic will find solution sooner or later.
Complaints about sharp clutch engagement remind feeling after installation of heavy duty clutch spring.
Remove you spring and file it. Is it circle spring or spiral spring?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
I rented an M8 last month. Didn't like the clutch at first but got used to it in about 20 miles. Didn't even notice it after that.
Ya, I'm in the same boat. I don't even notice it anymore, and if anything I like how responsive it is. I have big meathooks though, so maybe that's why I didn't notice any difference.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with all the complaints about getting use to the hydraulic clutch. I have been riding since '63 and on my first '17 ride, I looked like the village idiot leaving the dealers lot. It almost kept me from getting my 17 SGS, in fact I had to talk myself into the purchase.

The bike has a little over 100 miles on it now and we become a little more friendly with each ride. I feel now that I will end up liking the new set up.

Guess there is going to be another learning curve when switching back and forth with my other bikes w/o hydraulics. Couldn't possibly be worst than the idiot that left the Harley lot with the '17 demo!

Attached Thumbnails Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....-img_0002.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (01-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....