Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:06 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My lever is on the way back from Softbrake and really looking forward to trying it. I'm not comfortable with the new clutch set up either. Will report back after a test, but might be a couple of days as we're getting some real cold with winds.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:20 PM
cupcars
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got almost 1800 miles on my Limited. Though I may be "use to it" I still like the clutch on my 2010 Street Glide better.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:36 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
I've heard some say an adjustable clutch solves the problem

http://softbrake-com.3dcartstores.co...tch_p_202.html
says this is an exchange and can't start bike in gear, no picture so wonder what they do to the lever

Old 12-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,519 Posts

I went from a Heritage to a Cvo Ultra with hydraulic clutch years ago. I didnt care for the hydraulic clutch back then but grew to like it. When i got my M8 the friction point was farther out than the CVO but i attributed that to clutch wear. I did have the hydraulic clutch on my CVO heat up and temporarily quit working in stop and go traffic in Gatlinburg a few years back. I had to pull off of the road and let her cool down before the clutch came back. Only happened once and that was enough.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 PM
tommy1727
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I completely agree with many here. I do not like the clutch. Release point is to far out and it's very short and twitchy! Slow speed high turn rate maneuvers have managed to make me feel like a newbie. I thought I would get use to it and while I have adjusted some, still don't like it. My previous bike was a 2013 and so easy to feather the clutch as needed!

The following users liked this post:
smokingjoe (08-12-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrohio
says this is an exchange and can't start bike in gear, no picture so wonder what they do to the lever
I just saw that too and I'm wondering the same thing

Old 12-14-2016, 09:42 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrohio
The lever is re-shaped, so since it's technically "shorter" in reach, it will make contact with the handgrip before it releases the clutch switch.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I've got a hydraulic clutch on my Ducati...HD could learn a thing or two from them in this area. Clutch lever is light and while the clutch engagement happens later in the lever travel, it isn't at the end of the travel.

I've got 960ish miles on this bike and the weight of the bike is enough to deal with by itself but I hate trying to modulate the clutch with the bars turned full tilt to the left, I keep worrying my hand is going to give up and pop the clutch and over me and the bike go.

I guess it sticks out in my mind so because this last weekend the bikes GPS tried to take me down several dirt roads even though I have it set to avoid them. My guess is heavy cloud cover affected things because other than that day, I've had great success with the GPS.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

The clutch slave cylinder from the twin cams should be a bolt on replacement for the ones on the M8..... I think. The '17 pro street Breakout uses the M8 unit, and it's a twin cam.

If I had an M8 that would be the first thing I'd try. Again, I have the same clutch in my '15 Limited Low as an M8, and none of the release issues. The '15 Assist & Slip clutch was also a pound lighter at the lever than the standard clutch in the Limited.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 PM
PirateRider
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have actually reached a point where I like the clutch. It just takes some retraining to learn that you don't have to fully pull the lever to shift. Once your rolling this clutch is very fast to shift as very little movement of the lever is required and it's spot on every time. A short reach lever would eliminate this effect but gain easier take off and stoplight effort.

The following 2 users liked this post by PirateRider:
George Bryce (08-19-2017), Orange80 (03-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Love the Bike/ Hate the clutch....