Sponsored by:

Oil return hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:26 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Oil return hose leak

So a few weeks after I purchased my M8, I noticed a very small oil leak on the low side up near the oil cooler. took it to the shop where I bought it from and they said it was excess oil from my 1000 mile service change (that I did). I absolutely called bullshit on that one and took it to another dealership in the area. The second dealership found the problem. Bad hose on the return line from the oil cooler. fast forward to today, they got the replacement hose in the shop and replaced it today (after a "nice" 48 degree ride in).

In talking to the tech at the second shop, he told me that he has seen more than a few M8's come back with the return hose leaking (his words). I am posting this so that you folks can check to see if you have this issue. simple check, ride the bike until its hot and feel the hose the full length to see if you have some slick stuff on it. Mine was a very small leak (it did start to get worse up until today). about 20 or 30 minutes in the bay and it is warranty work. They didn't even check my exhaust to see if I voided my warranty LOL.

Good experience overall, but one hiccup. they didn't check my oil to see if I was low, I had to ask them to do that. They did check it and it was low. My only complaint after a pretty flawless visit... and they did have donuts.

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

yeah, already had that happen, new fan assist OC on the way so new hoses and clamps to start from scratch..can bet I'll be watching them like a hawk

Old 11-26-2016, 06:47 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

All of that money and they go cheap on something simple. makes me wonder sometimes. But then again it is a business. funny though, you would think that after being burned several times over the years by going with cheaper parts that they would learn that saving a few beans may cost a whole lot more in the long run.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:40 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
All of that money and they go cheap on something simple. makes me wonder sometimes. But then again it is a business. funny though, you would think that after being burned several times over the years by going with cheaper parts that they would learn that saving a few beans may cost a whole lot more in the long run.
yeah, pretty sure profit margin plays a big role, in everything..they could build the bikes by hand using only the highest quality parts and quality control available and sell...both of them?...LOL

Old 11-26-2016, 10:18 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Nah... they're just waiting for sales to drop and then they'll release that Sons of Anarchy movie they've been sitting on since the show ended. That'll sell some bikes.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:01 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Nah... they're just waiting for sales to drop and then they'll release that Sons of Anarchy movie they've been sitting on since the show ended. That'll sell some bikes.
absolutely loved that show, but near the end of the shows run it became just an hour long Harley commercial. lol

Old 11-27-2016, 04:12 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
So a few weeks after I purchased my M8, I noticed a very small oil leak on the low side up near the oil cooler. took it to the shop where I bought it from and they said it was excess oil from my 1000 mile service change (that I did). I absolutely called bullshit on that one and took it to another dealership in the area. The second dealership found the problem. Bad hose on the return line from the oil cooler. fast forward to today, they got the replacement hose in the shop and replaced it today (after a "nice" 48 degree ride in).

In talking to the tech at the second shop, he told me that he has seen more than a few M8's come back with the return hose leaking (his words). I am posting this so that you folks can check to see if you have this issue. simple check, ride the bike until its hot and feel the hose the full length to see if you have some slick stuff on it. Mine was a very small leak (it did start to get worse up until today). about 20 or 30 minutes in the bay and it is warranty work. They didn't even check my exhaust to see if I voided my warranty LOL.

Good experience overall, but one hiccup. they didn't check my oil to see if I was low, I had to ask them to do that. They did check it and it was low. My only complaint after a pretty flawless visit... and they did have donuts.
jclax was it the hose itself that was bad or the clamp? I can see where a bad or incorrectly place clamp can cause the leak, but not understanding how the hose itself will cause an issue unless it has a hole.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:43 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
jclax was it the hose itself that was bad or the clamp? I can see where a bad or incorrectly place clamp can cause the leak, but not understanding how the hose itself will cause an issue unless it has a hole.
I was thinking the same, hoses wont take set for many many miles,at which time replacement would be in order once the hoses position is disturbed. Dealers have rules and procedures to follow. An independent shop or owner would just tighten,re-position or replace the clamp. At least that will be how I address any hose leaks on my M8.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:55 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

the service tech said it was the hose itself. Maybe defective from the factory. he said the clamp was on properly. I thought that was odd too. they replaced the hose and the clamps on it just to be safe.