Sponsored by:

Question about Street Tuner for the M8

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Question about Street Tuner for the M8

There was a guy on this forum who bought the SE Street Tuner for his 14 Ultra in order to keep his warranty intact. He spent a lot of time with it making changes and looking at the data logs. What he discovered was that the small changes that could be made, the ECM in a few miles just changed the values back to what they were before. His opinion was it was a waste of money and he should have just got the Stage 1 download. Does the new Street Tuner offer any more flexibility and ability to make changes that will stay put? This is for discussion of the Street Tuner. I know there are better tuners so lets not get into discussing them.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

So when someone goes Stage 1 they can just get a dealer download, without buying the tuner?

Old 11-15-2016, 07:32 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
So when someone goes Stage 1 they can just get a dealer download, without buying the tuner?
Dealer download is gone, have to use the tuner on the '17

The following users liked this post:
SWThomas (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

True, the dealer downloads are history. The later versions did not do any more than the Street Tuner did anyway. They did NOT add fuel, they only changed timing a just like the Street Tuner does now. Harley hasn't had a fuel changing download for many years.

SWThomas (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
True, the dealer downloads are history. The later versions did not do any more than the Street Tuner did anyway. They did NOT add fuel, they only changed timing a just like the Street Tuner does now. Harley hasn't had a fuel changing download for many years.

So why even do the Street Tune? The timing adjustment shouldn't have much bearing on the changes the pipes and filter make. It needs more fuel and if the ST doesn't change the fuel MAP, what's the point?

riderboy1961 (04-23-2017)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

do we know this for sure? I am having a stage 1 installed (SE street cannons, SE heavy breather, and SE tuner) to stay compliant but what I really wanted was a V&H FP3 and V&H exhaust. none of these were available and there was concern about new warranty restrictions for 2017 models. if the SE tuner is crap and has no effect on performance tuning with the cannons and air intake then I really need to swap them out before they get installed this week.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

I'm just wondering about the tuner. If all it does is adjust spark timing, I'm not seeing the need. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the SE tuner does adjust fuel slightly.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:15 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
do we know this for sure? I am having a stage 1 installed (SE street cannons, SE heavy breather, and SE tuner) to stay compliant but what I really wanted was a V&H FP3 and V&H exhaust. none of these were available and there was concern about new warranty restrictions for 2017 models. if the SE tuner is crap and has no effect on performance tuning with the cannons and air intake then I really need to swap them out before they get installed this week.
I am no expert. And I am simply parroting what I was told by my tech. I did the stage 1 with heavy breather, street cannons and the HD tune (street tuner). The tech said he was able to change the fuel/air ratio but only by 6%. Which is not much according to him. But he did say he thought it was important to ensure the ECM runs at the corrected baseline. Lots more air to the motor with the heavy breather. If he did not do the tune the ECM would not be able to give the motor enough fuel and the motor would run too lean. Is it a big deal to run lean? I have no idea. I did notice improvement with the stage 1 and I am stopping with the stage 1. Pulls like a freaking train. I used all HD product since it was the only thing available at the time, even then some of it was on back-order. I could have gone down and watched him do the tune, but I could not get away from work. Then I could talk with more detail. Last note. My tech really wanted me to use the TTS tuner, both my tech and the service manager, but I would have to wait another couple weeks, and I do not have the patience for that. Given the dealer tried to get me to use the TTS tuner I am assuming it would not void the warranty. But I did not ask this question specifically. Hope this helps....

Old 11-15-2016, 09:16 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,347 Likes on 4,769 Posts

FWIW: from HD site..

The Screamin’ EagleŽ Pro Street Performance Tuner is designed to simplify management of engine operating parameters as performance modifications are made. Once installed, the kit allows you to adjust key parameters or simply upload the latest Engine Control Module (ECM) calibrations to match your bike’s state-of-tune. Start with a high-flow air cleaner and Street Performance mufflers and upload the calibration that provides the best performance mix. Add additional Stage Upgrades later, and you simply upload the proper ECM calibration to match the model and hardware. Plus, you have free online access to the latest factory calibrations. Ideal for real-world street performance applications, the Pro Street Tuner provides the adjustability to account for bike-to-bike variation and for changes to cams, heads, intake and exhaust while maintaining closed-loop fuel control for fuel economy in the part-throttle operating range. Unlike other aftermarket tuners, The Screamin' EagleŽ Pro Street Tuner actually talks directly to your motorcycle’s ECM and re-programs the motorcycle’s operating system. It isn’t a piggyback system that tries to fool the ECM into adding more fuel or changing the ignition timing. The Pro Street Tuner plugs into the bike’s data port, so no splicing or under-seat hardware is required. And unlike other race tuners or engine controllers, the Screamin’ EagleŽ Pro Street Tuner does not impact your Harley-DavidsonŽ factory warranty coverage.
Features a guided Smart Tune process to enable quick navigation through the software, whether new to tuning or an experienced user
Stores up to 15 minutes of run-time data that can be downloaded to PC, allowing you to view and evaluate the bike’s air/fuel ratio, O2 sensor readings, engine speed and temperature, RPM and vehicle speed, throttle position, spark advance and much more
Vehicle Communications Interface (VCI) will record and display service codes for troubleshooting and diagnostics
Smart Tune Live, a dynamic method to track engine data by running vehicle through a range of RPM and throttle positions, reduces time to modify existing Volumetric Efficiency tables (works on models with factory-installed O2 sensors only)
Adjustability to Spark Advance, Throttle progressivity, and Volumetric Efficiency to custom tune the performance combination
Includes the Vehicle Communications Interface (VCI) module and unlimited access to the latest software updates and calibrations available from Screamin’ EagleŽ, Tuner Cable kit sold separately
Permits tunability to optimize performance and drivability without compromising fuel efficiency, emission levels, engine durability, or 50-State U.S. EPA compliance

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-15-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I've decided to leave my bike stock this time around, cancelled my Street canons order..it runs and sounds great to me so don't feel compelled to fix what ain't broken..or worse, if it ain't broke work on it until it is..been thru this so many times, sometimes you introduce decel popping, etc...my buddy got the Screaming Eagle Stage 1 but had them dyno tune instead of uploading the calibrations..he got much more generous gains going that route
I agree that stock is fine with this new motor. I wanted to black out the motor so I needed new mufflers & air cleaner anyway, so went with the full stage 1. My dealer does not have a Dyno, but the tech does take it for a few spins to look at the tune based on the stored data to dial it in best he can. For sure a real dyno would be better. But they charged me 1 hour service (at $100/hour) for the tune. I believe a Dyno run is around $400. I am sure he spent more than 1 hour doing the work including taking the bike out for a ride. Good luck. You will not regret spending the coin on a 2017 M8. I know I have no regrets at all. And I loved my old bike......

Last edited by riknbeth; 11-15-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about Street Tuner for the M8