Sponsored by:

Question about Street Tuner for the M8

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:35 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
For those interested we will be introducing a tuning option in December that is Street Legal, Emissions Compliant & warranty friendly, we will provide full info next month. Stay tuned...
That's awesome that HD is cool with people using your future offering. Kind of out of character for them.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:19 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
That's awesome that HD is cool with people using your future offering. Kind of out of character for them.
When I talked to a tech on the phone at Mother Harley he said HD has no interest in pissing off aftermarket suppliers. They are an important part of the HD ecosystem and even when someone buys something aftermarket they get it installed at a dealer. So HD makes money.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:49 PM
mrfeeney
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The street tuner does have limitations but fuel can not be one of them, ask yourself how does HD tune for the stage III 114? same amount of fuel as the 107? NOPE, it will not let you tune outside the EPA parameters for AFR that is a different look up table, but you can change the VE table which tells the ECM more oxygen is entering the cylinder so it adds more fuel to achieve the EPA restricted AFR accounting for the extra charge of oxygen in the cylinder.

Have not had time to try this on mine yet but if it tunes anything like previous tuners there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I'm just a amateur tuner and there are more knowledgeable tuners on this forum so if I'm all wet please let me know if I'm all wet.

I believe RPM and MPH are not adjustable as they were with the race tuners

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,347 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeeney
The street tuner does have limitations but fuel can not be one of them, ask yourself how does HD tune for the stage III 114? same amount of fuel as the 107? NOPE, it will not let you tune outside the EPA parameters for AFR that is a different look up table, but you can change the VE table which tells the ECM more oxygen is entering the cylinder so it adds more fuel to achieve the EPA restricted AFR accounting for the extra charge of oxygen in the cylinder.

Have not had time to try this on mine yet but if it tunes anything like previous tuners there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I'm just a amateur tuner and there are more knowledgeable tuners on this forum so if I'm all wet please let me know if I'm all wet.

I believe RPM and MPH are not adjustable as they were with the race tuners
well said..I spent a couple hours going thru my new Street tuner online tutorial today...amazing how complex and sophisticated the ECM/EFI system is..learned a ton, a lot of it way over my head and more than enough for me to be dangerous with....your explanation above is spot on, especially in closed loop, and just a portion of the tuner's ability

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-18-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 PM
glennson
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive been reading so many posts about this topic and know i think it makes sense..the street tuner will change the AFR but not beyond the EPA tune.. so there still is advantage in that given better intake with the AC and slip-ons?? so effectively a more wide open version of stock??

Old 06-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 273 Likes on 170 Posts

I am no expert, but here is what I know from my experience. I have the V&H headers and destroyer 450 muffs, SE intake, SEPST. My bike was dyno'd at 14.6 closed loop and 14.0 open loop. This tuner is capable of 5% closed loop and 10% open loop increase above factory settings for a given airflow. It is designed to compensate for the added air flow, which changes the oxygen and thus fuel demand, all within the parameters of the EPA for a given flow. Remember you are tuning a 107ci to a 114ci specifications, at least a few of them.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Wrong thread sorry

Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
For those interested we will be introducing a tuning option in December that is Street Legal, Emissions Compliant & warranty friendly, we will provide full info next month. Stay tuned...
Any updates on this? Can't find anything on the website regarding an EPA compliant tuner...

Thx

Lon

Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 AM
glennson
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

next hurdle.. no MAC version for the SE tuner. I so want to go FP3 and SE AC but just can't justify the risk v. reward on a bike that still has 20 months of warranty. It looks like voiding powertrain excludes an awful lot of parts..

Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
Any updates on this? Can't find anything on the website regarding an EPA compliant tuner...

Thx

Lon
Unless a person buys a tuner from a manufacturer that specifically says on the package that it is intended "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" I would think that all the new tuners on the market are going to have to comply with the same EPA regulation in force at time of manufacturer. There is only so much fuel and spark that can be added or subtracted to stay legal. So, won't all tuners that claim to be street legal for 2017 and beyond be pretty much the same? I am sure the aftermarket guys don't want that fact to be common knowledge but I don't see how anyone brand can be much different when it comes to tuning a 2017 street legal motorcycle/Harley. I have read in paperwork from the Justice Department that they even went so far as to make the MOCO buy back all the unsold Pro Super Tuners that dealers had on their shelf last August, 2016. This was after the Justice Department levied the 15 million dollar fine on the MOCO for manufacturing and selling device which would circumvent the EPA compliant tunes that manufacturers were installing on new bikes.

Quick Reply: Question about Street Tuner for the M8