Sponsored by:

Question about Street Tuner for the M8

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
I agree that stock is fine with this mew motor. I wanted to black out the motor so I needed new mufflers & air cleaner anyway, so went with the full stage 1. My dealer does not have a Dyno, but the tech does take it for a few spins to look at the tune based on the stored data to dial it in best he can. For sure a real dyno would be better. But they charged me 1 hour service (at $100/hour) for the tune. I believe a Dyno run is around $400. I am sure he spent more than 1 hour doing the work including taking the bike out for a ride. Good luck. You will not regret spending the coin on a 2017 M8. I know I have no regrets at all. And I loved my old bike......

If the tuner knows what he's doing, I feel that a data-log on the road would be a better option than a dyno. More realistic.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:39 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Does anyone know if the warranty issues with non HD tuners will be applicable to overseas bikes ?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

i feel better. sounds like the SE tuner is good enough.. on that note, I just got off the phone with the service manager to confirm if anything other than the SE tuner would be supported. His official response was "no." They did support them in the past (V&H and other tuners) as long as it was installed by them, but with the new EPA ruling and after the 15m in fines they paid out, MOCO is telling the local HD dealers that warranty will be voided if a customer brings in a 2017 and up bike in for any engine failures. Obviously a fuel pump failure, or oil leaking from a faulty gasket shouldn't be flagged or denied because you installed a V&H PF3 but I prefer not to take a chance with these new engines that still need to be proven.

I'll stick to the SE stage 1 kit for now.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
If the tuner knows what he's doing, I feel that a data-log on the road would be a better option than a dyno. More realistic.
There are only two techs allowed to touch my bike. Both have whatever the "senior master tech whatever...." title they hold is. I know them and they have used Dyno's for many years, the dealer used to have one, but got rid of it because they felt that unless someone was doing real heavy performance upgrades it was not needed. Very few dealer customers request this type of work. So to reduce costs they got rid of it. My bike runs really well, so I have to assume they know what they are doing. You guys are probably tired of of me saying how much I love my M8. If I do have any issues I would be the first one to post the problem so folks know about it.

The only issue thus far is I let my jiffy stand go off the pavement into the dirt and I laid it over on the driveway. Zero damage, thank god. Good thing my neighbor was out cutting his grass because there was no way I could pick it up by myself. Freaking heavy!!!!

Last edited by riknbeth; 11-15-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
So why even do the Street Tune? The timing adjustment shouldn't have much bearing on the changes the pipes and filter make. It needs more fuel and if the ST doesn't change the fuel MAP, what's the point?
People have always said the factory downloads do not add any fuel. And they have always been wrong about that. The thing is, they only add enough fuel to get the bike back to the factory EPA tune. So that is not the same as they do not add any fuel. I cannot remember where but there have been Harley stock and stage 1 fuel maps posted on the internet and they are not the same.

The following users liked this post:
glennson (06-12-2017)
Old 11-15-2016, 11:59 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,346 Likes on 4,769 Posts

I've always been under the impression that the ECM recalibrations were developed to restore its tuning parameters to become EPA compliant, and of course to run safely and perform as designed, be it AFR, the many tables that can be tweaked, timing, etc. .. my dealership service manager left me with the impression that timing was one of the most necessary adjustments..but I've never been able to get answers on exactly what is is that is adjusted each time I have had it done..but I will say whatever they did worked because my bikes always were returned as better running and seemingly well tuned engines..the guy here that could provide the most accurate answer is Steve Cole obviously

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-15-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:30 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

You may not be able to change the AFR, but the description says that you can change the volumetric efficiency. That is how fuel is added or taken away.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Look in your new P&A catalog about the Street Tuner. It shows a breakdown of what the Street tuner can do. It shows that fuel is VIEW ONLY and the street tuner can not change those settings. Timing changes can effect tune for sure. Too far advanced you can get knock, retarding the timing in other areas effects the efficiency. I put a V&H FP3 on mine with Street Cannons and a Ventilator air cleaner. Using their map for stock headpipe and twin slash rounds, runs really good.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:10 PM
stepboogie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The street tuner can adjust fuel but only in specific areas, I believe wide open throttle. It can't be adjusted, you only use their epa approved maps. Can't change specific cells. It's epa regulated so very minor changes basically getting the air/fuel back to stock. I also believe the FP3 can save and revert your ecm to stock configuration if you need to take it in for warranty work. A legit concern and I don't know if they can determine if you did that, I believe not.

Last edited by stepboogie; 11-15-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a street tuner and if You look at AFR numbers ,You will find that the standard 14.6 has been changed to 14.5 from 850-1750 RPM and 14.4 from 2000-3750 RPM.So there has been a fuel richening.Only .2 ,but still richer than stock.

Quick Reply: Question about Street Tuner for the M8