Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:38 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 603 Posts

Looks like a good design.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Started to design/build a breather bypass this eve, so far with the Ventilator its not that bad. Working on the routing from A/C to catch can or filter
Looks good. BUT never put any parts that could ever come loose inside the ID of the filter or that could come loose in those areas. Look at fitting parts behind the back plate.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 AM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I tried doing the bypass on mine with the Heavy Breather backing plate using the fittings from DK. I wasn't real happy with the results, as there is no place to route the hoses but down, which is pretty unsightly. Also, theres not a lot of room for the hoses, so I was concerned about the stainless rubbing against chrome, etc, and marring it. I will say, if you are concerned about your warranty, make sure you have a spare backing plate in the event that,,,oh,,,say your motor blows up at 333 miles and you have to take it in for warranty work. I wondered if a dealer could try to void a warranty for trying to defeat an EPA requirement.

I'm hoping that the aftermarket eventually addresses this when we have more A/C options out there. Either building the bypass into it, or making it it easy to do ourselves.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,919 Likes on 4,600 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkHillsBagger
I wondered if a dealer could try to void a warranty for trying to defeat an EPA requirement.
wouldn't wonder too long, you can be sure if like you said, your engine goes, it gets towed to a dealer and a warranty inspection is ordered..well...

Old 01-14-2017, 09:29 AM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
wouldn't wonder too long, you can be sure if like you said, your engine goes, it gets towed to a dealer and a warranty inspection is ordered..well...
I hear ya, all I can say is my OEM backing plate was on when the dealer came to my house to get mine.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (01-14-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 12:26 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
That oily mist that gets into the intake can gum up your throttle body and add carbon to your intake valves and pistons. That is the reason I always vent mine to atmosphere. The stock air cleaner is very easy to vent as shown in the earlier photos. If the Heavy Breather and Ventilator are like the ones for the TC it will be more difficult.
there's alot more to it than that, that most people forget to consider. Even tho they're aware is bad. And that is that it's isn't just oil mist coming from the crank.
There's hot air. And moisture.
So what you actually have feeding into the intake is hot oil. Hot air. And hot steam.
When all you really want is clean fresh high octane fuel and cool fresh air.
So don't hesitate and unplug the hoses.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

HOT OIL...HOT AIR.....and HOT STEAM....OH MY!!!!!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Air Cleaner Catch Can Installed On 2017 M8 Stock Air Box, Simple And Different.

Air Cleaner Catch Can Installed On 2017 M8 Stock Air Box, Simple And Different.

Not all may agree with me here. I was not worried about taking the vapor out of the air box but I wanted to remove any oil condensate carry over into the throttle body. I also did not want to modify my air box at all. I purchased a catch can from DK Custom and installed it like this. I will service the catch can at oil changes to start with. The vapor will still be in the air box with this set up but outside the filter but the oil and condensate should drop out in the catch can in theory. This set up is a test to see how things go without modifying my stock air box.

You can see the oil in the throttle body in the pic below. My 2017 Tri Glide was right at full or a hair more new on a hot oil level oil check. At my first oil change I set the hot check oil level at 4 dots lower than the full mark with a hot oil level check. This has helped or prevented a lot of the carry over on my other Harley's in the past.

Also living in California with the way things are heading with the EPA crap I did not want to modify the stock air box by drilling any holes or making any noticeable changes to it. I am more than fine with the way the way the stock M8 runs and performs on our 2017 Tri Glide trike. It has more power and usable torque by far than our stage 1 2015 103 TC trike did.

See pic's below. It's pretty straight forward what I did.

Ride Safe All,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1692.jpg   Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1695.jpg   Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1709.jpg   Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1708.jpg   Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1706.jpg  

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1690.jpg   Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1688.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by Bill G:
16Slim (12-29-2020), dbogey (12-07-2022), HDDOC (04-09-2020), lp (06-25-2017), Max Headflow (01-15-2017), psyshack (01-15-2017), Ronbo1 (09-21-2018), shekmark (01-16-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:45 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
HOT OIL...HOT AIR.....and HOT STEAM....OH MY!!!!!
You like that in your. Ombustion chamber? Than you have no reason being in olved in this discussion
go start one that does LOL

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Bill G

Good job!

The following users liked this post:
Bill G (01-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?