Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM
UnleashedBeast
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using an engine lubricant with a much lower NOACK Volatility (Evaporation) will also reduce this problem for those who do not wish to modify their bike.

Amsoil V-Twin 20W50 has a super low NOACK @ 5.4% Spec Sheet

So called "Synthetics" that use cheaper base oils will have a NOACK between 10-13%. The maximum allowable NOACK to be API certified is 15%.

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I honestly don't mind the engine burning it as much as I do having to clean it up. That's just unacceptable to me.
Ditto, I'm with you. I'd rather use a lubricant like Amsoil, which reduces evaporation blow by, then simply use a top engine cleaner every other oil change to clean anything introduced into the air intake and combustion chambers.

Originally Posted by kllrvet
I have heard that Harley is aware of the oil passing into the airbox, and that they have a fix. Can anyone confirm?
Harley is no different than any auto manufacturer in the United States. Years ago, the OEM never used the air intake as a means to vacuum the crankcase, drawing all impurities, condensation, and vaporized oil back into your engine. It was blown straight into the atmosphere, mostly on the highway. However, the EPA changed that, making rules to eliminate it. Therefore, the only solution is how you find it today (short of the additional production cost of an oil separator). Maintain your engine properly, and it's not a problem.

This is what I use to clean it all up in all of my engines. Amsoil Power Foam

Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 01-11-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:32 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,042 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I'm going to make my catch can out of this. It has a center divider in it that will have to be perforated, will make a good baffle. Fittings fitted to the caps, a bit of open cell foam stuffed in it. Will have to see how the S&S Naked works. I should be able to bring a line to say the right cap. Catch the snot in the can man and bring a line out of the left cap and let the light vapor vent back into the throttle bore.

Is that a part from a mosin naggat cleaning kit?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Using an engine lubricant with a much lower NOACK Volatility (Evaporation) will also reduce this problem for those who do not wish to modify their bike.

Amsoil V-Twin 20W50 has a super low NOACK @ 5.4% Spec Sheet

So called "Synthetics" that use cheaper base oils will have a NOACK between 10-13%. The maximum allowable NOACK to be API certified is 15%.

Ditto, I'm with you. I'd rather use a lubricant like Amsoil, which reduces evaporation blow by, then simply use a top engine cleaner every other oil change to clean anything introduced into the air intake and combustion chambers.
Nah. I don't plan to clean anything. I never did on my last bike and never had as much as a puff of smoke come out the tail pipes. If there are any issues, HD will fix it.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,019 Likes on 5,357 Posts

I knew it AMSOIL will cure it . I was betting on when we would see it.
Just don't over fill it you will be just fine . Many 1000's of riders and millions of miles to back it up.
There are a lot of great engine oils on the market.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,938 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
i knew it amsoil will cure it . I was betting on when we would see it.
roflmao..and re:

"I'd rather use a lubricant like Amsoil, which reduces evaporation blow by, then simply use a top engine cleaner every other oil change to clean anything introduced into the air intake and combustion chambers."

in all my bikes, miles, Chapter member and service relationships at our dealership I have never once heard of anyone ever using or doing a "top engine cleaner" service at any mileage..must have missed an interoffice memo or two along the way

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-11-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Is that a part from a mosin naggat cleaning kit?
Yes,,, I was wondering if anybody would figure that out. lolololol

Should work great as a feed through can.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,019 Likes on 5,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
roflmao..and re:

"I'd rather use a lubricant like Amsoil, which reduces evaporation blow by, then simply use a top engine cleaner every other oil change to clean anything introduced into the air intake and combustion chambers."

in all my bikes, miles, Chapter member and service relationships at our dealership I have never once heard of anyone ever using or doing a "top engine cleaner" service at any mileage..must have missed an interoffice memo or two along the way
I have put 80K on the same HD with no additives no oil by pass none of the BS. I have put between 20 and 60K a year on my bikes for a long time. Again never had all these issue. My 1996 FB EVO still runs plain old HD lubes in it.
Along with that I know many that run up some miles 100K or more are not uncommon. Until he got ran over friend had 130K on his. Planned to keep it for ever. You just never hear much about these bikes . All you hear is all these aftermarket magic tricks to save it.
Not one issue with my 2007,2011,2013, 2016 and now the 2017. And I never got ripped off by a dealer in my life or had a warranty claim denied. I only got back to 2007 because after so many years unless it was a very special ride they tend to run together. Last I saw my 2007 it had 85K still doing well. The only one that is not is the 2011 I took it deer hunting ,bad idea.
I make no judgment on amsoil products but it has nothing to do with oil blow by due to over filling.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
UnleashedBeast
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I knew it AMSOIL will cure it . I was betting on when we would see it.
Just don't over fill it you will be just fine . Many 1000's of riders and millions of miles to back it up.
There are a lot of great engine oils on the market.
I said reduce, not cure. Oil vaporization and condensation can occur, contaminating your throttle body/air intake even with a proper fill level. Cheaper lubricants have a higher evaporation rate.

Also, please don't confuse "sufficient" with "optimal", there is a difference. Heavy research into engine lubrication manufacturing and technology since 2004. You can't buy "optimal" off the shelf anymore (Not since Castrol and Mobil 1 led the hydrocracked petroleum band wagon). Sure, sufficient will get a "gazillion"(sarcasm) miles out of your bike, but there are other benefits to optimal that I could never walk away from.

Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 01-12-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,465 Likes on 757 Posts

The secret to a happy bike is to ride it and perform the recommended maintenance. The Brand of oil you use has nothing to do with making your bike happy. Getting the bike up to temp and for long periods is key to long engine life.

The following 6 users liked this post by sixguns:
16Slim (11-02-2018), Bumpandrun (09-16-2018), mjwebb (01-12-2017), mykaos (12-15-2018), smitty901 (01-12-2017), Zonktified (03-31-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Started to design/build a breather bypass this eve, so far with the Ventilator its not that bad. Working on the routing from A/C to catch can or filter

Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-img_1829-1-.jpg  

Last edited by GlidingJoe; 01-13-2017 at 08:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GlidingJoe:
saafrican (01-16-2017), Sam D. (12-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?