Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 07:45 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
I tried several things, as past posts will show but where I'm at now is the last thing I put together. Two hoses routed straight off the breather bolts, with no fittings. They exit the back of the AC backing plate, down between the jugs to the frame, then along it to the rear. I've never seen a spot on the ground and my air cleaner stays clean with nothing going into the intake. Works like a charm. But then these bikes do not all breath the same way, or at least they don't spit out the same amount or oil/water mixture. I leave my oil halfway down between full and add and since doing that I only vent water vapor. Before I ditched the catch can I was able to verify that.
Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I was not trying to **** you off, sir. I actually said "If i understand what you posted", and you were saying that you put the hoses above the AC, and were trying to RECYCLE oil ? In doing so, I believe you might actually fill the hoses that go above the vents with liquid, inhibiting them from being able to vent. I did not want you to have a high crankcase pressure issue, because that is bad
First off thanks iHodor for coming back, this is an old long thread. I read every post. I got the impression not only from this thread but others that going up with the hoses was OK. No biggie, I will put a bolt in the hole I drilled and just change the angle down and drill a hole. People who run the hoses up have mentioned the outflow pressure has no problem moving any fluids etc. But to be safe I will alter the setup and send everything down.
30 minutes max. No doubt the catch can is a waste. Thanks for coming back to this thread.
NorthWestern obviously you were trying to help. Had you explained your thoughts fully I would have understood.
Thanks and sorry.
There are so many Nit Picking A-holes on this forum who just bust peoples ***** over anything for some BS pleasure. That it is hard to know what a response truly means.
I got my plan.
Thanks all.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,368 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by FunHuman
First off thanks iHodor for coming back, this is an old long thread. I read every post. I got the impression not only from this thread but others that going up with the hoses was OK. No biggie, I will put a bolt in the hole I drilled and just change the angle down and drill a hole. People who run the hoses up have mentioned the outflow pressure has no problem moving any fluids etc. But to be safe I will alter the setup and send everything down.
30 minutes max. No doubt the catch can is a waste. Thanks for coming back to this thread.
NorthWestern obviously you were trying to help. Had you explained your thoughts fully I would have understood.
Thanks and sorry.
There are so many Nit Picking A-holes on this forum who just bust peoples ***** over anything for some BS pleasure. That it is hard to know what a response truly means.
I got my plan.
Thanks all.
I thought Doc Harley is who you listen to when making changes? Didn’t he say he is using a catch can? And you say no doubt it is a waste?

Old 07-31-2021, 08:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I thought Doc Harley is who you listen to when making changes? Didn’t he say he is using a catch can? And you say no doubt it is a waste?

What I don't understand in that doc Harley video is where the Breather tubes are positioned. Once you put the air filter on it will pinch the breather tubes and that is not good. IMO, a poor design on that setup.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,368 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
What I don't understand in that doc Harley video is where the Breather tubes are positioned. Once you put the air filter on it will pinch the breather tubes and that is not good. IMO, a poor design on that setup.
or how old that video is..he eats, sleeps and breathes Harleys for a living for a very long time..and acts totally surprised that he just noticed this 'recent discovery' of rerouting breathers..just odd..oh well, we now return you all to your normally scheduled fussing and fretting over much ado about nothing.... I will say these posts are somewhat entertaining when bored...

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
golfblues (07-31-2021), ThePaintPirate (08-31-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Old Ranger
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Longer breather bolts

I would like to do a breather system like Readbeard719's. I have an Arlin Ness breather and the stock breather bolts are too short, about !.5".
I figure I will need bolts about 2.25". Anybody know whether they are available?

Old 08-28-2021, 11:42 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 372 Likes on 209 Posts

I'll be installing a Trask CheckM8 vented transmission cover at the time of my Stage 2 upgrade in October. I'm hoping this will be a resolution to the need for a breather bypass.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:41 AM
Old Ranger
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Fueling vented dipstick but would also like to get a breather bypass without drilling the air cleaner base.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ranger;[url=tel:20148418
20148418[/url]]I would like to do a breather system like Readbeard719's. I have an Arlin Ness breather and the stock breather bolts are too short, about !.5".
I figure I will need bolts about 2.25". Anybody know whether they are available?
Kuryakyn #9976 is what you need.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/10...her-components

The following users liked this post:
Old Ranger (08-29-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:08 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
or how old that video is..he eats, sleeps and breathes Harleys for a living for a very long time..and acts totally surprised that he just noticed this 'recent discovery' of rerouting breathers..just odd..oh well, we now return you all to your normally scheduled fussing and fretting over much ado about nothing.... I will say these posts are somewhat entertaining when bored...
They sure are. Just like a forward assist on an AR, the bypass and those vented dipsticks are a solution looking for a problem.

The following users liked this post:
deadeye (07-03-2022)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:16 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,255 Likes on 3,411 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
They sure are. Just like a forward assist on an AR, the bypass and those vented dipsticks are a solution looking for a problem.
But my ARs just look wrong without one

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?