Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 06:23 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,265 Likes on 3,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I’m running a Trask CheckM8, but still getting a little blow-by inside my air cleaner cover on my FM 128”. It’s very noticeable since I have the clear FM Typhoon cover. I’ve been wanting to do the breather bypass for a long time, and finally spent the money to get the right hose.

I would be doing this mod with stock Harley breather bolts. I didn’t want to drill/tap/plug anything on my S&S Stealth backplate.

Because of how I wanted to do it, I wanted specific hose - it had to be black, supple, heat resistant, and chemical resistant.

After careful measurement, I determined that 3/16” inside diameter tubing would be ideal. But I wanted a narrow outside diameter too.

Enter McMaster-Carr.

I ordered Viton Rubber tubing. It’s soft, heat resistant to 400°+, and it’s oil resistant. 3/16” ID / 5/16” OD. With shipping, it was about $70 for 10’ and I will be doing this on my 2010 TC as well.

Additionally, I picked up brass 1/4” barbed Y fittings.

The Y fitting is tucked neatly behind the bottom of the backplate, and the main drain tube is fished behind the front lifter block cover, down alongside the engine case, and is zip tied with the wiring bundle along the inside of the bottom frame rail.

I’m venting directly to atmosphere, no breather or catch can. My tubing has a draft cut on the end and it exits directly next to the frame by the fuel tank vent on touring models.

Pardon my filthy-*** bike…it’s been a rainy spring/summer in CO.
You and I had the same idea for the routing, etc. I have the FM Ventilator so I have to drill into the backing plate, but I bought the same 3 way barbed union, and some high temp braided cover hose:

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
biggins72 (07-30-2021), Redbeard719 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:41 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Things to avoid at family dinners - religion, politics, breather bypass, heel toe, gear box lube.

The following users liked this post:
Jehu (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:07 AM
manofsteele2003
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Things to avoid at family dinners - religion, politics, breather bypass, heel toe, gear box lube.
You forgot oil pumps.

The following 2 users liked this post by manofsteele2003:
tngarren (07-17-2021), Wmitz (07-19-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 11:59 AM
FunHuman
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought the DK catch can. But after watching videos I decided to point the hoses up recycling any oil that spit back into the heads.
Since whatever flowed out would be minor, I just snaked the hose down under front cylinder to the ground.
No catch can.
You can just see it between the pushrods. Anyone need an unused catch can?
This job can be done for $10. using stock hoses up top and a couple of plastic fittings, and a length of hose.

Hose runnning between front push rods.

Drain hose between front pushrods.

Last edited by FunHuman; 07-30-2021 at 12:08 PM.
biggins72 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 01:53 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,929 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by FunHuman
I bought the DK catch can. But after watching videos I decided to point the hoses up recycling any oil that spit back into the heads.
Since whatever flowed out would be minor, I just snaked the hose down under front cylinder to the ground.
No catch can.
This job can be done for $10. using stock hoses up top and a couple of plastic fittings, and a length of hose.
The head breathers are a one way valve going OUT.

El Mago (07-30-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 06:09 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member

No catch can.

Hose runnning between front push rods.

Drain hose between front pushrods.
it does not work that way. If I am understanding what you posted, your vents were working better than what you have concocted

Old 07-31-2021, 07:37 AM
FunHuman
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
it does not work that way. If I am understanding what you posted, your vents were working better than what you have concocted
Originally Posted by OldMike
The head breathers are a one way valve going OUT.
Ok so the valves are ONE way. I was going by information others had posted. Guess it will all end up on the ground, I don't care.
It was better having the crap blow into the intake rather than what I have concocted? Huh?
There are hundreds of examples and pictures many in this thread of concoction's exactly like mine.
Thanks for the non-suggestions of how I might improve on my work.

THIS IS WHO I LISTEN TO WHEN I CONSIDER MAKING CHANGES TO "MY" BIKE.

Tannersaurus (03-07-2023)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:52 AM
El Mago
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FunHuman;[url=tel:20087370
20087370]Ok so the valves are ONE way. I was going by information others had posted. Guess it will all end up on the ground, I don't care.
It was better having the crap blow into the intake rather than what I have concocted? Huh?
There are hundreds of examples and pictures many in this thread of concoction's exactly like mine.

They were trying to be helpful. Your original post (and logic for pointing upwards) was to ‘recycle’ the oil, but being one way and with hoses running up your just filling the hoses and creating some resistance with everything that comes out.

I haven’t read every post in this 68 page thread but I’ve seen at least one where someone corrected their hoses from running uphill to running down - whatever’s coming out will freely run downhill. Even the Doc video you posted, he mentions “down” a number of times, as does his ‘genious’ customer’s example show.

Last edited by El Mago; 07-31-2021 at 01:06 PM.
OldMike (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:17 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

I tried several things, as past posts will show but where I'm at now is the last thing I put together. Two hoses routed straight off the breather bolts, with no fittings. They exit the back of the AC backing plate, down between the jugs to the frame, then along it to the rear. I've never seen a spot on the ground and my air cleaner stays clean with nothing going into the intake. Works like a charm. But then these bikes do not all breath the same way, or at least they don't spit out the same amount or oil/water mixture. I leave my oil halfway down between full and add and since doing that I only vent water vapor. Before I ditched the catch can I was able to verify that.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:03 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Ok so the valves are ONE way. I was going by information others had posted. Guess it will all end up on the ground, I don't care.

I was not trying to **** you off, sir. I actually said "If i understand what you posted", and you were saying that you put the hoses above the AC, and were trying to RECYCLE oil ? In doing so, I believe you might actually fill the hoses that go above the vents with liquid, inhibiting them from being able to vent. I did not want you to have a high crankcase pressure issue, because that is bad. Did I misunderstand?

You can listen to whomever you want. I was just trying to help. Damn, dude.

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
El Mago (07-31-2021), iHodor (07-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?