Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 07:42 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

nope. did vented dipstick instead. easier and engine revs quicker. Fuel Moto said if you do the vented dipstick, you generally dont have to do the breather bypass.

The following users liked this post:
betho61 (07-08-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by goblue90
I routed the head breathers into a catch can along with the hose from the Trask CheckM8. I drained the catch can today after a couple hundred miles of riding and this is what came out of the bike. The hose on the left is from the Trask CheckM8 and the hose on the right comes from the external breathers from the heads.

https://youtu.be/efnzC8HQmqs

so with all that added stuff, and that amount after only 200 miles..how in the world did my 17 RK with 40,000 miles and my 20 RGS with 30K (and millions of others I might add) manage to stay running as good as new for so long without all that jazz? it's a miracle!!!!!

Old 05-31-2021, 08:08 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

I routed the head breathers into a catch can along with the hose from the Trask CheckM8. I drained the catch can today after a couple hundred miles of riding and this is what came out of the bike. The hose on the left is from the Trask CheckM8 and the hose on the right comes from the external breathers from the heads.

I would venture to say that you are getting so much in there because it looks like your hoses are both below the vented devices, the hoses should be ran up and then back down and I’ll bet most of that junk never gets pushed to the end of the hose.

goblue90 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:32 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

To get that much out after 200 miles indicates to me that something else is going on. Either your oil is way over filled and you're getting excessive blow-by or something else is going on.. that is not normal

goblue90 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:39 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 349 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so with all that added stuff, and that amount after only 200 miles..how in the world did my 17 RK with 40,000 miles and my 20 RGS with 30K (and millions of others I might add) manage to stay running as good as new for so long without all that jazz? it's a miracle!!!!!
Must be! Can we get a hallelujah!!!!? Haha. Seriously though, I never complained that my bike wasn't running well. I just decided to vent this crap out instead of keeping it in the bike. Seeing it, however, makes me want to remove these items and not think about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

mjwebb (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Must be! Can we get a hallelujah!!!!? Haha. Seriously though, I never complained that my bike wasn't running well. I just decided to vent this crap out instead of keeping it in the bike. Seeing it, however, makes me want to remove these items and not think about it. Out of sight, out of mind.
yup, amazing how high oil temps no longer are a problem when people stop using oil temp gauges, etc, etc. ..I swear Harley owners are the most fickle bunch I have ever seen, heard or known and it's not even close fuss less and ride more I always say

JoeeJoee (06-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:48 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Thumbs up

yup, amazing how high oil temps no longer are a problem when people stop using oil temp gauges, etc, etc. ..I swear Harley owners are the most fickle bunch I have ever seen, heard or known and it's not even close
Haha, we sure are! Whenever I get a new bike, I'm going to keep it stock like you!

mjwebb (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:58 PM
goblue90
Road Master

Originally Posted by Quik
I would venture to say that you are getting so much in there because it looks like your hoses are both below the vented devices, the hoses should be ran up and then back down and I’ll bet most of that junk never gets pushed to the end of the hose.
You may be on to something there, at least with the Trask set up. I do have the hose from the CheckM8 going up, but probably not high enough.

Originally Posted by golfblues
To get that much out after 200 miles indicates to me that something else is going on. Either your oil is way over filled and you're getting excessive blow-by or something else is going on.. that is not normal
Definitely not over-filled. I do my own oil changes and keep it on the lower side of the 4 to 4.5 quart range. I have the T-man breathers in the heads that flow more volume than the stock breathers, but there's more evidence of the fluid originating from the Trask CheckM8. Will try running the hose higher per Quik's suggestion.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:50 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I’m running a Trask CheckM8, but still getting a little blow-by inside my air cleaner cover on my FM 128”. It’s very noticeable since I have the clear FM Typhoon cover. I’ve been wanting to do the breather bypass for a long time, and finally spent the money to get the right hose.

I would be doing this mod with stock Harley breather bolts. I didn’t want to drill/tap/plug anything on my S&S Stealth backplate.

Because of how I wanted to do it, I wanted specific hose - it had to be black, supple, heat resistant, and chemical resistant.

After careful measurement, I determined that 3/16” inside diameter tubing would be ideal. But I wanted a narrow outside diameter too.

Enter McMaster-Carr.

I ordered Viton Rubber tubing. It’s soft, heat resistant to 400°+, and it’s oil resistant. 3/16” ID / 5/16” OD. With shipping, it was about $70 for 10’ and I will be doing this on my 2010 TC as well.

Additionally, I picked up brass 1/4” barbed Y fittings.

The Y fitting is tucked neatly behind the bottom of the backplate, and the main drain tube is fished behind the front lifter block cover, down alongside the engine case, and is zip tied with the wiring bundle along the inside of the bottom frame rail.

I’m venting directly to atmosphere, no breather or catch can. My tubing has a draft cut on the end and it exits directly next to the frame by the fuel tank vent on touring models.

Pardon my filthy-*** bike…it’s been a rainy spring/summer in CO.

Materials

SoCaRider (07-16-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:15 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

I posted this info on the RG using oil post on Page 3

http://www.thunderpress.net/top-stor...2016/09/23.htm
Jumping out at me was this quote from that article, " [...] - is a gauntlet thrown in the face of those naysayers who blather on about never buying the first year of anything. They say it’s risky business until the bugs are worked out. Harley is betting the bugs have been exterminated in advance. It’s a safe bet!"

I guess in the alleged/reported "millions of miles" of testing that were supposedly done in advance of being released to the public never did any M8 sump or transfer oil from the transmission to the primary case ... never! Only after going to market did the MoCo change the oil pump how many times now? TSB afterthought for the little rubber hose vent on the inner primary was unnecessary for those "millions" of testing miles??? OK rant mode off as I have two M8s and neither has sumped (yet?) and the primary case vent tube was installed under warranty; my fluids (well my bike's fluids anyway) seem to stay where they should. IOW, I'm happy with the M8s I have but if the MoCo told me that the sun rises in the east - I'd have to get up early to check it myself.

Back on point, because the M8s still have oil venting plumbed into the intake, I still (as with TCs) re-routed that plumbing to the atmosphere - notwithstanding the M8's vent to transmission affair and little catch can-like filters built in ... all because the EPA forbids venting to the atmosphere.

Last edited by Jehu; 07-17-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?